Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val D'isere - UCPA in December

Poster: A snowHead
Hello!!!
Has anyone been to UCPA Val D'isere in December (Planning a trip on the 15th)?
I was wondering if the snow conditions this early in the season are historically good in Val D'isere for a week´s UCPA Half-Day camp.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Snowheads pre-season bash is in Tignes is a week or two before this. It’s going to be as good as anywhere that time of year.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I usually ski in USA, Canada, Argentina and Chile, so I don´t know if the conditions in the Alps are good enough to take a weeks camp with UCPA.
I know that last year there was tons of snow in December, but I want to hear from you guys historically how are the conditions mid december in Val D'isere/Tignes.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pistes should be fine. Off piste likely to be a little rocky. Of course nobody can be sure.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There isn't a better destination in Europe for that time of year. But there are no guarantees! UCPA instructors/guides will find the best of what snow is available.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The last 3 years have been superb in December.

Great snow and no one there. We've even had some incredible off piste, in ball deep snow.

Last year was exceptional but it's been a very long time since opening weekend in Nov wasn't a success.

Here's a video of opening weekend in Nov, last year...
http://youtube.com/v/VCUOmgfRGTs
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@bar_shaker Wasn´t 15/16 and 16/17 very bad seasons at the beginning (Nov/Dec)?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@bar shaker, Wasn´t 15/16 and 16/17 very bad seasons at the beginning (Nov/Dec)?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
15/16 it snowed loads up to Christmas and then didn't snow again until March.

Espace Killy has the biggest snow making capacity of any resort in the world. Cannon snow isn't perfect, but it's better than grass.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We've skied the two weeks before Christmas in Tignes/Val Diz for the past 8 years, and intend to do again this year. We've been able to ski all the way back to Tignes Le Lac every year so far. Only one of those years was the snow poor enough to stop us getting to Edelweiss or down to Les Brev. A couple of years there has been knee deep powder everywhere for a few days. Last year (2017)was better than average, the year before (2016) was below par.

The bigger problem with those weeks is they are often used for ski racing, and they are again this year. It's not just the proper FIS stuff, lots of local/national ski clubs and even the British army are there on other days to use the courses. The Slalom is usually on La Face, so closed, and once it reopens to us plebs it's sheet ice from half way down to the bottom - not great for early season legs. Stantons/Epaule is often closed anyway, and Orange/Ok gets closed for the Downhill. Whilst there are racers on/near the course they close the lifts over the pistes, so Marmottes is often closed.

All this more or less cuts the Espace Killy in half - to get to Solaise from Tignes you have to ski round to Fountain Froide, up to the top of Bellevarde and download in the Olympic gondola.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the posts.
I guess this is not a good week to go to Val D'isere than. Half of the Espace Killy closed for a first visit.......Not good!
I guess I'll stick with the Core Camp in Whistler.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Koleoptero, It's nowhere near half the Espace Killy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I love sitting on the lift watch the racers come down
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I guess this is not a good week to go to Val D'isere than. Half of the Espace Killy closed for a first visit.......Not good!

I didn't say that half the area is closed. I said that the area is cut in half. The Val Diz side is mostly open, and the Tignes side is mostly open, but crossing from one to t'other whilst the racing is in progress is problematic. And access to two of the resorts best known runs - Face and Ok/Orange - is time restricted at best, or just totally off limits.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Both "sides" of the EK have more piste skiing than most resorts in the world. If it's off-piste you're after there's no getting away from the fact that mid-December is not ideal though you can, as @bar shaker points out, get lucky.
latest report
@Koleoptero, pre-Xmas I'd look at Tignes or Val Thorens over Val D'Isere. Snow guaranteed in all three, but the access to guaranteed snow better from Tignes than VDI, and VT has got the most guaranteed snow UCPA can offer (being restricted to France)

There is a useful thread somewhere that I started on the UCPA centres and guide to size, age, other info, but in terms of snowsure good skiing you won't go wrong with Val D'Isere, Tignes or Val Thorens pre Xmas.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy