Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

March 2019- Can go anywhere on continent, where should I go?

Poster: A snowHead
Landing March 1 in Zurich. I can go anywhere on continent, Norway to Bulgaria. Where should I go? Must have 1. Great terrain, we are very good skiers with racing background. 2. Good snow, snow make up for a whole lot. Even a mundane piste can be a blast in 20cm fresh. 3. Unique- I want something different. We have skied all over NA and Europe. Well over 100 resorts visited. 4. Money is no object, but value is.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you know you've posted this 4 times lol
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh boy, I'm getting old. That's one way to get attention. Apologies to all.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Aye, delete the other 3 threads and you'll get an answer. Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skiberg wrote:
2. Good snow, snow make up for a whole lot. Even a mundane piste can be a blast in 20cm fresh.

For this, you need to book last minute.

skiberg wrote:
3. Unique- I want something different.

How would you define unique? As in terrain, culture, no lifts...?

If I was in your position (and had a suitable skill level - which I don't Sad) I'd be thinking Lofoten Islands, Iceland, something like that. Just my starter for 10.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Georgia
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We have been to Iceland so that's probably out. Skiing not extensive enough anyhow. I have two weeks. I still want quality accommodations etc. Unique probably speaks mostly to culture, not just country, but ski culture as well. I am happy to try resorts off the beaten path in Italy, France Austria etc., but they better have great terrain and snow.
This will be a last minute decision, which is how I am going to guarantee myself good snow. I am trying to compile a list of about 20 places. I thought about Poland, but best skiing is in a national park, so no off piste. I am curious about Romania and Bulgaria, but not sure about terrain. Andorra and Lichtenstein have piqued my interest. Norway and Sweden are on the list. Pyrenees and Sierra Nevada as well.
Don't know much about Pyrenees but looks pretty interesting. There actually is a decent looking hill fairly close to Madrid.
My wife is coming with, she skis mainly on piste.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After last seasons ski lift video, I think I will pass on Georgia
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skiberg wrote:
After last seasons ski lift video, I think I will pass on Georgia

You can cross off Romania and Bulgaria too then.

And Poland.

If you want former Eastern Europe then Slovakia and the Tatras may suit.

https://mountainparadise.co.uk/portfolio-items/grand-hotel-kempinski-high-tatras/
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
That looks interesting. Great hotel. Gotta see how extensive the skiing is. Do you know much about Georgia?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Only skied Gudauri

Had a ball.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That also looks good. How is the off piste potential and the expansiveness? Looks like a week may be a bit much there. Its also pretty isolated so a bit of a pain to hop over for only 3-4 days.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I skied 8 days and barely scratched the surface for the off-piste.

Got everything from gentle meadow skipping through to technical, steep chutes.

Also has heliskiing from the resort, seeing as money is no object.

Not much going on mid-week nights.

Jumping on the weekend.

TR
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=123502

Pics
https://www.facebook.com/mike.richards.927/media_set?set=a.10153908252823624&type=3&fb_dtsg_ag=AdzHAvJeC3cPN2uiD5xxTS1aRufeV-6v17xlDctzhYUxYg%3AAdwXCE8uiOKaYM7ZHZBCsVHlIS6NIpK4C1rW39lKBCds3w
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I did not mean to sound like an asshat, I just wanted to make sure that basically every type of trip is an option. I do like value, however, I will not pay for a day of Heliskiing if it just dumped 30cm.

Gudauri has my attention. Where did you fly into and were there any issues with safety? I know they have had beefs with the Russians.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just followed up with your trip report, pretty much answers my questions. That's Alta Pow!
latest report
skiberg wrote:
Just followed up with your trip report, pretty much answers my questions. That's Alta Pow!

Yep.

Possibly better as there were about 50 people skiing it 👌😀
snow conditions
@skiberg, Do you have a list of where you have been?

Are you prepared to skin up?

Monterosa with heli up or Val D'Annivers for more mainstream European areas...
snow conditions
@skiberg, hard to make a suggestion without knowing where you've been. My suggestions would include places like Zermatt (which is excellent and if I could afford it I'd ski there a lot) but I'm guessing you've been. Or la Grave- but Mrs Skiberg might not like it (although it is unique and if I was good enough I'd ski there a whole lot more too). Or Wengen and Murren which are steeped in ski culture.

Value is I think hard to define for other people though as this depends on how you yourself quantify the added quality in places like Zermatt, Wengen, Murren and how much the added CHFs in the bills hurt your soul- or not!

If had your question- where to go in Europe next year- money no object, 2 weeks in March starting in Zurich with Mrs Ed- what would I do?

I've been thinking about it as I type. I'd ski in Switzerland, traveling by train as the snow dictates. I'd hope to ski one or more of: Wengen / Murren, Andermatt, Engleberg, Saas Fee, Zermatt, Val d'Annivers, St Moritz / Klosters/ Davos. I'd have a few very nice lunches, hire a guide as required and hope to spend the odd night in a hut.

Or I'd do a ski safari around the Dolomites for 2 weeks staying in a mixture of valley hotels and huts, taking the odd taxi transfer when required by terrain or weather.

Whatever you do have a great time and let us know all about it.
snow report
If your not bothered about nightlife, Monta Rosa has arguably the best off piste skiing in Europe.
snow report
I have been to St Anton, Ischgl, Khutai, Solden, Garmisch, Cervinia, Zermatt, Val Tournenche, Pila, Morzine, Chamonix, Tignes/Val.

So far of interest is Andermatt, Engleberg Obertauern, Shroken/Warth, Grimentz/Zinal, Ifen, Gressoney, Isola 2000, Formigal, Bansko, Jasna, Gudauri and most of Norway. It all depends on the snow.

Any one skied any of the areas on my hit list.
ski holidays
Engelberg, Gressoney, Gudauri, Stranda & Narvik (both Norway).

Gudauri by a mile.
snow report
@skiberg,
Skied most of the places on your already skied list plus Andermatt Obertauern and Zinal Grimentz , though i've only been to those three for one holiday. Personally I'd take either Andermatt or Val d'Anniviers over Obertauern other things being equal they have a slightly more isolated feel. Unless Apres is important in which case Obertauern would win.
snow report
Grimentz/Zinal and Val d’Anniviers...getting lots of good press!

https://www.snowmagazine.com/features/1208-top-tens/the-top-10-ski-resorts-in-the-world-2018
snow conditions
1. Iran.
2. Georgia.
3. Mount Etna.
4. Lebanon.
5. Morocco.
latest report
Apres no biggie. I am usually too knackered to do much. All I need is a good meal and bottle of wine and I am fine. Narvik is on the list, my wife wants to see the Northern Lights. Also Voss/Myrkdalen.

I keep coming back to Andermatt. Snow plus terrain makes me happy.

What about Are? Might be a good time of year for Sweden. Anyone know about the off piste potential there?

Boy that snow at Gudauri must have been something. Sounds like its a fav.
ski holidays
If fresh snow is your number one priority you maybe best leaving it all last minute and following any forecast storms? Or goto Japan Smile
snow report
skiberg wrote:

Boy that snow at Gudauri must have been something. Sounds like its a fav.

Had three awesome deep 'Hokkaido' days followed by 6 bluebird days with an overnight top up.

It was the combination of snow quality, terrain, and next to no competition for lines.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
1. Iran.
2. Georgia.
3. Mount Etna.
4. Lebanon.
5. Morocco.

Now that's a list
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike Pow wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
1. Iran.
2. Georgia.
3. Mount Etna.
4. Lebanon.
5. Morocco.

Now that's a list

And an interesting one, must admit I've missed the process where Iran, the Lebanon and Morocco became European, still Israel seems to be part of UEFA so who knows.
snow conditions
Åre is good in March. It’s one of the best ski areas in Scandinavia. Terrain is good if the high zone lifts are open, and if the snow is soft there’s offpiste in every direction of the mountain. A small hike takes you to the peak where you can ski down backside (baksidan) and into the eastern or western ravines. You get a feel for it from the Henrik Windstedt stories
http://youtube.com/v/TTYz5Hxl-xE. 7 min 20 s in is where it gets interesting Smile

I think after a few days you will have explored most of the offpiste at Åre though.
ski holidays
Andermatt gets tracked out in minutes.

Sweden gets tiny snowfall.
ski holidays
jbob wrote:
If your not bothered about nightlife, Monta Rosa has arguably the best off piste skiing in Europe.

Uhhh?

The most windblown perhaps... Twisted Evil
snow report
Can I presume budget is not a particular object?

I’d be thinking ski safari, as above, by Swiss public transport, where the snow is.

Leaves you at the mercy of accommodation, but even 2* Swiss hostels with shared bathrooms are cleaner than many North American luxury hotels...

Andermatt? Don’t know, on my list but next door Disentis and Sedrun have much to enjoy. Val d’Anniviers? I have a Chamonix based UIAGM guide friend who says it’s his favourite place ever (he has guided often in e.g. Kamchatka)...
snow conditions
That is good insight on Andermatt and Disentis is something to consider. Thanks for that insight I may have missed this otherwise. I never visited Are precisely because the snow is such a gamble. The plan is to make the decision last minute. I land in Zurich on March 2 and will probably make a reservation day prior. It will depend a lot upon seasonal snowfall to date and expected snowfall over the time I will be traveling. With that being said, even if snow is great, I wont go back to Cervinia or Ischgl as the terrain is lacking. Budget is not really an issue. I am considering St. Mortiz, but not sure about terrain quality. I like skiers hills. Ski culture, not leisure/party culture.
snow conditions
skiberg wrote:
I wont go back to Cervinia or Ischgl as the terrain is lacking. Budget is not really an issue. I am considering St. Mortiz, but not sure about terrain quality. I like skiers hills. Ski culture, not leisure/party culture.

As I haven't been to Cervinia or Ischgl, I don't really know what sort of "terrain quality" you're after.

St Moritz seems to have quite a bit of terrain. But like I said, what's 'quality" for me may not be quality for you...
snow report
I would have thought that St Moritz exemplified 'leisure/party culture' (for those with a lot of money).
snow conditions
Quality terrain for me means Val/Tignes, St Anton etc. I agree, St Mortiz seems to be exactly what I don't want, but is there a real ski hill underneath the veneer of money. I don't know the answer to that.
ski holidays
St Moritz has the terrain
snow report
Oh, the skiing is actually very good at St Moritz. I also saw some really good skiers ripping it up when I visited. There's quite a lot of off-piste, ranging from "side of piste" to way outside of the ski domain (with guides, I presume).

As for the "leisure/party culture", I confess I have difficulty understanding why some think good terrain and apres scene are mutually exclusive Puzzled
ski holidays
I wonder if St Moritz is less prone to being skied out as quick as others. I imagine they have a lot more posers who look great in their 3k ski suits and like to stay on piste.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy