Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Survey on equipment and Transportation GCSE

Poster: A snowHead
Could you please answer this survey on equipment and transportation
Would be greatly appreciated
1. How old are you? 15+/20+/30+/40+/50+
2. How long have you been involved in winter sports? 5+/10+/15+/20+/30+
3. How many weeks a year are you involved in the sports? 2+/5+/10+/20+
4. Do you have your own equipment? Yes/No
5. Do you have/use extra equipment? Yes, what? / No
6. Do you wear a helmet? Yes/No
7. What sort of size is your equipment?
8. Can you carry your equipment for over 15 minutes without stopping? Yes/No
9. How long a day do you spend not taking part in the sports when the activities are open? Under 1h/2h+/4h+
10. What accommodation do you use?
11. Is your accommodation? Yes. How far? / No
12. How do you get to your accommodation? Walk/taxi/bus/ski
13. How long does the journey take? Under 5 min/10m+/15m+
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Groundhog Day
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Tom Beardmore, Oh cone on...how many times? So now you've told us it's GCSE people might cut you some slack but the questions are still not great. Why not explain what you are trying to get to and let people help you get there?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It would just be very useful for me to get a grasp of these questions from a stakeholders point of view, My NEA DT coursework is on a product related to winter sports (skiing in particular) and these questions will help complete a page on my stakeholder's needs and requirements for a rucksack like product to help transport skis and other equipment when not in use.
Thank you
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tom Beardmore wrote:
It would just be very useful for me to get a grasp of these questions from a stakeholders point of view, My NEA DT coursework is on a product related to winter sports (skiing in particular) and these questions will help complete a page on my stakeholder's needs and requirements for a rucksack like product to help transport skis and other equipment when not in use.
Thank you

maybe stop spamming & go back to your orignal thread from last week
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have obviously missed previous posts and if what you are asking is for educational purposes I am happy to help. However, I can not accurately complete your survey.

Your first two questions allow me to give you a definite answer, well done! From then on there are too many variables within many of the questions. You need to think carefully about how to phrase questions, in some cases I really do not know what you are asking. You also need to consider what answers respondents might want to give, a simple yes/no is probably not appropriate in some of the questions when that appears to be the only choice offered.

It is more difficult to conduct this kind of research than it first appears but well done for giving it a go!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tom Beardmore wrote:
". . stakeholder's needs and requirements for a rucksack like product to help transport skis and other equipment when not in use."

For heaven's sake.
Have you thought about
e.g.
Do I ski a lot? Answer: YES.
Do I need this? Answer: NO.
Do I want this? Answer: NO.
What would I pay for this? Answer: NOTHING
If I had wanted something like this, could I have bought it somewhere already? Answer: YES.

You're wasting your time and our time.

etc. etc.

Afterthought: @Tom Beardmore: Do you in fact ski?

(Edit:
Oh, Tom, Tom, Tom . . .

Even if you don’t ski, can’t you get what ‘the product’ needs to do just from the pictures?
Just use your imagination.
Think about it.

Strong.
Light.
Waterproof.
Cut and tear resistant.
Zip pockets.
Holds the skis firmly so they don’t get in the way.
Can hold poles and other kit.
Is held firmly on body so you can walk, and even climb without the whole thing moving about badly.
Can be worn ditto without skis on it, but with skis on boots, i.e. skiing.
Easy and quick to take off and put on.
Adjustable for a variety of body shapes and sizes.
Flexible to use, so it can be used as a normal rucksack as well.
Good if small enough so can also be taken on board plane as cabin bag.
Comfortable all day, every day.
Attractive.
Variety of colours.
Reasonable price.

Get it?
Now go online and have a look at what’s already on offer.
Those guys have done proper market research.
And done some design.
Then go to a ski shop and try a couple on for yourself.
Talk to the sales staff.

Then think some more and come up with some decent questions.
Until you’ve done that I suggest you keep quiet and go away.

If you don’t get this, and you were thinking of having a career as a designer, I’d get some careers advice before going too far on with it if I were you.
You’re annoying the hell out of everyone.

Trying to help here.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 13-09-18 0:31; edited 4 times in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Where do I find the popcorn emoji?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Tom Beardmore Even if I answered your questions, they don't seem to be of much help for designing a rucksack. Don't you need to know primarily what I would want to carry in it? Then of that, what do I need to access regularly/easily and what is just for emergencies. And only after that what extra kit is just for the journey to/from my accommodation, when it is "not in use"? And the answers are going to differ between people doing ski touring, off-piste skiing, and on-piste skiing; between skiers and boarders; between solos and families etc - none of which you ask.

And if you do have a third go at it, please only start the topic once! Last week you managed to start the same topic at least 3 times, and this week you have done the same again. It really doesn't help you, as you will get answers in different places. If after you submit it you want to change it slightly, or clarify something, just post a reply like everyone else does rather than starting a further new topic.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
11. Is your accommodation? Yes. How far? / No

http://youtube.com/v/ta8z_Hg0fgI
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I suggest you show your teacher the responses to all your threads and have a discussion about how to do whatever you are trying to do properly. Because whatever this is it isn't working. And I thought kids were supposed to be IT savvy.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dave of the Marmottes, great advice
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The IT version of ‘all the gear and no idea’.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Let us not be too brutal folks.
In my experience, of trying to coax a teenager through his GCSE's, the criteria for passing the exams seem to have been set with little regard (or awareness) for the 'real' world and trying to comprehend them through the lens of rationality tended to result in a quite perplexed state.
The objective here, I would presume, is not an adult mission to produce 'the next great ski product' but to nurture, in a student, respect for the research part of the R&D process.

Now, the spatter gun approach to forum threads is, as we know, not generally a good move if you want to keep a forum community onside and were @Tom Beardmore a grownup marketeer, he should now be casting an eye upwards with regard to a rapidly approaching ton of bricks. He is clearly not a grownup marketeer though, but a teenager who is at least trying to do his homework.

@Tom Beardmore, lesson1 on forum use: multiple topics on the same subject tend to wind a forum community up.
I'm guessing you are trying to get the 'right' response from one topic to use in your work but I reckon you will probably end up having to patch/edit together the meaningful data from all your topics to show the process of research you've gone through. Looking at the evolution of your questions, you do appear to be trying to respond positively to the advice within the sarcasm and refine your approach and that is a good thing.
For the sake of the forum though, we really should tidy up your topics to leave just one on the subject but I don't want to take away your access to stuff you might need.
Please choose one thread on this subject that you'd like to keep and copy the contents of the others (and let me know when you've done so) so they can be removed.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@admin, a well thought out and helpful post. I hope Tom gets back to you. Smile
latest report
@Tom Beardmore, I'd recommend looking up surveymonkey and getting @admin, to edit your ONE post to include the link to the survey and some form of explanation.
ski holidays
Tom Beardmore wrote:
It would ..be .. useful .. to get a grasp ... from a stakeholders point of view, My NEA DT coursework is on a product related to winter sports ... these questions will help complete a page on my stakeholder's needs and requirements for a rucksack like product to help transport skis and other equipment when not in use.
Thank you

OK, I know that I come from a time before the GCSE was invented, but what the heck is a "stakeholder" ( singular), never mind an " NEA DT"?

Your questions seem irrelevant to carriage of equipment on piste (see illustrations of existing products already kindly supplied) but I recall your original posts seeming to relate more to transporting equipment to and from the accommodation. Mind you, is that home to airport to plane to baggage handlers to coach/car/ taxi to hotel, or is that hotel to first uplift and back? Or hotel or car to base of walk-in and back down, in the case of many not using the pistes or uplifts at all, or going off-piste from the uplift, as the case may be? Lots of difference and differences here, and different personal and practical needs. Perhaps if you specify exactly what your product is designed to do and where, you might get some more helpful input.

p.s. please don't forget the snowboarders, or those who travel with boarders, or those who board and ski and want to transport and carry both types of equipment. (My existing rucksack also already does this, BTW.)
snow conditions
@Grizzler, let me Google that for you
ski holidays
admin wrote:
... The objective here, I would presume, is not an adult mission to produce 'the next great ski product' but to nurture, in a student, respect for the research part of the R&D process. ...

But this isn't "research".

There are clearly lessons which could be learnt. Basic social media etiquette. Privacy. Free online survey tools. Basic statistics. Language skills.

But the idea that products are developed like this is wrong.
snow report
Grizzler wrote:
OK, I know that I come from a time before the GCSE was invented, but what the heck is a "stakeholder"

It's management speak innit Toofy Grin

Personally I think the best definition of a stakeholder is someone who assists vampire hunters..... Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@philwig, exactly

Plus the "survey" sounds suspiciously like a retrospective justification for something he has already decided to design. It might be box ticking for exam requirements but that's where a more constructive approach to the blunt tool of a survey might provide better backing.
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink,
Laughing Laughing LMAO
snow report
@Alastair Pink, Laughing

Hmmm......Contextually, maybe potential consumer, purchaser or user might make more sense (unless the target audience are indeed vampires).
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
@philwig, exactly

Plus the "survey" sounds suspiciously like a retrospective justification for something he has already decided to design.

Isn't that what all NPD & marketeers do?
latest report
@admin, well said.
latest report
mgrolf wrote:

theres a snowflake emoji ;o)
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
mgrolf wrote:

theres a snowflake emoji ;o)

Ooh good, I'm sure being snowHeads we all like snowflakes, I know I do. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
[quote="admin"]Let us not be too brutal folks.
In my experience, of trying to coax a teenager through his GCSE's, the criteria for passing the exams seem to have been set with little regard (or awareness) for the 'real' world and trying to comprehend them through the lens of rationality tended to result in a quite perplexed state.
The objective here, I would presume, is not an adult mission to produce 'the next great ski product' but to nurture, in a student, respect for the research part of the R&D process.

Well said Admin. We’ve had worse surveys from degree level students on here. If the poster is a 14-16 year old trying to meet the crazy demands of GCSE coursework why would we not want to offer our support rather than worst aspects of web forums?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dw832 wrote:
... why would we not want to offer our support rather than worst aspects of web forums?
Easy.

This claims to be part of "education", in which case the purpose is to learn something.
If people do not point out problems with the approach taken, that fails.
ski holidays
I think a major part of the 'learning' that comes from these kind of exercises is from the doing rather than the getting it right first time. I suspect most of us learn more and get a better understanding of how to things work from having a go and working through the process rather than just listening to what other people tell us is the right and wrong way to do things.

So while a little bit of guidance is bound to help I'd suggest we give the OP a bit of space to make mistakes and actually develop some real learning rather than try and tell him what he should be doing.
snow report
Good to see grown adults bullying a small child and working hard to smash his morale...

U folks da big man.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
Good to see grown adults bullying a child...

U folks da big man.

http://youtube.com/v/rOgS8gTATv8
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy