Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for Italy advice - Feb half term

Poster: A snowHead
Collective wisdom of Snowheads Very Happy

Due to the, ahem, politics of next year combined with the horribly late Easter, we're considering breaking out of our "La Plagne @ Easter" bubble. From the threads on here, Italy sounds like it might be a option but aside from a school trip to Passo Tonale ~25 years ago I know absolutely nothing about where to look.

Flights to Turin still look OK price-wise for the Feb half-term week so something with a reasonable transfer from there? Mrs LH and myself are motorway cruise skiers so like a large area with plenty of kms and we've tended to be in Aime 2000 in recent years because it's insanely easy with ski hire / Spar / lessons all in the same ski in ski out building - any similar resorts on the Italian side? (I know it's ugly, but it doesn't matter when you're inside it!!) LH Jnr will be 7 and has his ESF 1-star, don't know what the Italian ski schools are like so any tips there would be super helpful too.

Thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Apologies for the double-post, but Verona also looks reasonably priced if that opens up options?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@LondonHawk,

Given your description I think you'd really like Via Latea. Sestriere is convenient / high but personally I'd go for Sauze D'Oulx for a bit more charm.
Excellent motorway cruising and great food. Easy travel from Turin.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@LondonHawk, not sure what prices you are finding for the flights but have you had a look at this thread.

I seem to recall when I was exploring this Turin was accessible via this method.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would second Via Lattea, plus many of the other Italy suggestions that will come your way as I am a definite Italian fan. If you like insanely easy, look at Hotel Orso Blanco at www.sportinia.it .......good food and reasonable price, resort is just over 1 hr from Turin, ski hire in adjoining building and lift/ski school outside the door. It is up the mountain but there are options to visit the village by skidoo if you want. I loved the place, though i have never visited Via Lattea in half term so cannot comment on whether it is ultra busy.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
LondonHawk wrote:
Apologies for the double-post, but Verona also looks reasonably priced if that opens up options?

Verona opens up the options of the Val Gardena resorts (Ortisei, St. Christina and Selva) the last of which is directly on the Sella Ronda circuit.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Take a look at Champoluc-and the Monte Rosa area. Plenty of high level skiing for the time of year. Lovely little resort. The skiing across the 3 valleys is great- though not as many miles as some, it still feels like a big ski area. The food on and off the mountain is yummy, and there are plenty of hotels to chose from. We went for Christmas a few years ago and returned for a long weekend. We didn't DIY it completely for Christmas-we cheated a bit in that we booked via ski-2.com. They include personal transfers to and from the airport, plus a dedicated shuttle bus, vouchers for lunch and their own english speaking ski school in the village, should anyone need lessons.They offered excellent service all round-though obviously at a cost.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd second Perty's suggestion of Champoluc with Ski-2.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Valkyrie wrote:
I'd second Perty's suggestion of Champoluc with Ski-2.

We have been to Champoluc with Ski2. They are excellent and have a great ski school for the kids.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I *think* I've persuaded Mrs LH to consider Sauze / Sestriere (will drop Ski2 a mail too based on the recommendations above)
Can anyone point me in the best direction for accommodation booking. Obviously I've had a look at Airbnb / Homeaway but without any knowledge of the resorts it's hard to know whether somewhere is a good location or not. All tips welcome.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you’re not fussy re accommodation the Olympic apartments in Sestriere are excellent ski to door and ski school meets directly opposite next to the gondola. Not posh, basic self catering.

In sauze I’d recommend somewhere near the clotes lift, we stayed last time at Hermitage which was perfect. Others when we’ve been can be quite a hike to the lifts.

I have skied both resorts at half term without any issues regarding delays at lifts etc.

Bardonecchia is also an option but not as large as the other areas. We found the instructors very good here and again the Olympic apartments (nicer than the sestriere ones) are directly on the slopes and ski school meeting points.

Interestingly we’re heading to La Plagne at half term 2019. We’ve not been in France at half term before so I’m hoping it’s not crazy busy.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If considering the Dolomites there is a little known transfer bus service

The Arabba Transfer service from the airports of Venice Marco Polo and Treviso Antonio Canova directly to your room in Arabba. The runs will be every Saturday and every Sunday starting from December 8th 2018 until April 7th 2019 with one special run on Wednesday 26th December 2018.

Before you book the transfer, please check if your accommodation is present on the list of "Hotel".

The price is Euro 35,00 per person for one way, and Euro 52,00 for the round trip.

Bus timetable:
Departure from Venice Marco Polo at 1pm and 6pm
Departure from Treviso Antionio Canova at 2pm and 7pm
Departure from Arabba to Venice Marco Polo and Treviso Antonio Canova at 6am and 11am
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
toyah807 wrote:
I would second Via Lattea, plus many of the other Italy suggestions that will come your way as I am a definite Italian fan. If you like insanely easy, look at Hotel Orso Blanco at www.sportinia.it .......good food and reasonable price, resort is just over 1 hr from Turin, ski hire in adjoining building and lift/ski school outside the door. It is up the mountain but there are options to visit the village by skidoo if you want. I loved the place, though i have never visited Via Lattea in half term so cannot comment on whether it is ultra busy.

Looks an interesting location - do the prices shown (E850 for a double) include meals? i think it does but not 100% sure
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes and including wine when I went. They also put out the remnants of afternoon pizzas when you were having a beer after skiing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Selva would be great if you can get reasonable priced flights to Verona (or even Milan). We flew to Milan last year and drove up to Selva. Our older had his first lessons in Selva (aged 5) and the ski school were excellent. They take kids all day if that's your thing (It was mine until the ankle biters could ski better than me, basically by the time they were 8 or 9).
ski holidays
Quote:

remnants of afternoon pizzas

Lo Bistrot in Champoluc (and many other places in Italy) put out nice hot slices of fresh pizza with apres beers.

[Of course, invariably the British and Scandis (possibly even worse) consider this to be an early dinner and rather over help themselves... rolling eyes ]
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy