Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ways to dry a ski hat?

Poster: A snowHead
I've become something of a snowhead lately, well, not exactly, I'm just wearing a ski hat that I soak in ice water, while sitting in a hot tub. It's sensational, literally. I haven't found a good way to dry it though. I rung it out and threw it in a dryer, but it stayed pretty wet, so then I tried letting it air dry, and turned it inside out every once in a while, but it developed a mildew smell in the process. Maybe I should try turning it inside out every few minutes while its in the dryer next time, or is there a better method? Maybe stretching it over a bowl would help it air dry better...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm guessing the problem is that it's a woollen ski hat which will be a nightmare to dry.

Why not use a sailing hat which are designed to get wet and dry quickly, something like this; https://www.gillmarine.com/gb/sailing-accessories/headwear/windproof-fleece-hat.html
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks. I tried the polyester and acrylic hats I have, and liked the all acrylic ones best for their water retention, because they stay cold over my head longer. I've seen some cotton boating hats too (terry cloth might hold water), but was trying to use something I had already, as long as it worked. That's the thing, I guess. The better it holds water, the worse it wil be at drying out. I tried towels initially, but the fit of ski hats intensifies the cooling effect.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 10-09-18 7:57; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@snomwonkey, why are you doing this?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

Just having fun with thermoregulation... have you ever noticed that the pictures of snow monkeys in hot springs often show them with a red face and snow on their heads? Maybe they think there's something to that (I think so too).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have you tried wearing an ice pack in your Y-fronts? Even more sensational and good for boosting the sperm count. Something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Luxury-Koolpak-cold-pack-sleeve/dp/B077TWGWQR/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1536567972&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=ice+pack&psc=1&smid=A1NB3S6QHJCG&tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No, but I don't literally want to put ice on my head either (since with cold water it's more like getting the sensation of going from pool to spa or vice versa both at once). Otherwise I'm sitting there with a hot sweaty head, which is wet anyway, and using a fan blows chemicals in my eyes or cools the tub sooner.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snomwonkey wrote:
... have you ever noticed that the pictures of snow monkeys in hot springs often show them with a red face and snow on their heads? Maybe they think there's something to that (I think so too).

That's what happens if you sit in the hot spring when its snowing! snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That's right, but look closely... that snow has been there long enough for an icicle to form, so they don't appear to be trying to warm their heads up at all. I can handle ice on my head if I sandwich it between two hats, so I guess that's about what they feel with fur. I like the cold water dripping off the hat over my face or onto my back also.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Now I've heard everything.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wait, did you
hear the snow monkey whistling?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Like the wind, yeah that gives me an idea... I'll stretch the hat over a collander and blow a fan through it.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@snomwonkey, did you intend to call yourself snomwonkey instead of snowmonkey?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snomwonkey wrote:

Just having fun with thermoregulation... have you ever noticed that the pictures of snow monkeys in hot springs often show them with a red face and snow on their heads? Maybe they think there's something to that (I think so too).

To be honest, those chaps don't look like they're having a lot of fun!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snomwonkey wrote:
... that snow has been there long enough for an icicle to form, so they don't appear to be trying to warm their heads up at all. I can handle ice on my head if I sandwich it between two hats, so I guess that's about what they feel with fur. ...

No, fur is just a very effective insulator, so their heads are warm but the snow doesn't melt; they won't feel the effect of the snow directly.

(First time poster, odd name, odd topic that's a pun on the forum name; not entirely convinced this isn't just a troll - but even if it is they are sometimes fun to feed!)
snow report
(First time poster, odd name, odd topic that's a pun on the forum name; not entirely convinced this isn't just a troll - but even if it is they are sometimes fun to feed!)

Mmm, I've made a small frame out of scaffolding poles which I fit around my shoulders and also strap on to my ears using the piercings I got in them as a wayward yoof. The frame's about four foot long/high and comes to a peak about a foot or so above my head. I stretch the wet hat over the peak. For years, I've always carried a section of vaccum cleaner hose in my pack and so I connect one end of that to the fan in my ABS pack and the other up inside the wet hat and just pull the handle!

If my wet hat days coincide with a hi avi risk day... well.... I just stay at home. It's not ideal but safety's always gotta take priority.
ski holidays
@Big Paua, Laughing
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@snomwonkey, did you intend to call yourself snomwonkey instead of snowmonkey?

Yes, and the collander/fan method worked well, even with two hats side by side. Except I didn't have two collanders the same size. Next time I'll use these dollar baskets (since I had some and they're just the right size to slip a hat over the back)...

rob@rar wrote:
To be honest, those chaps don't look like they're having a lot of fun!

Maybe you had to be there... or not, I think that's the one thing about their little snow oasis which is a downer. There's always a bunch of people sticking cameras in their faces! It's kind of creepy actually, as if they'd rather stalk bathing monkeys all day than find another hot spring to sit in themselves.

ecureuil wrote:
No, fur is just a very effective insulator, so their heads are warm but the snow doesn't melt; they won't feel the effect of the snow directly.

I doubt they'd sit in the hot spring if snow had no effect on them. snowHead

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 10-09-18 19:53; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
@snomwonkey, wow you're weird
latest report
To me the smell of mildew is weird, or was. Enough about that, thank you very much.
snow report
Hot springs with an icy head are common in Japan and Iceland.

Japan has the world's longest life expectancy. Iceland, the 6th.

Use a premium bootdryer with forced airflow and infrared or ozone / oxygen to dry the hat and kill the smell.
snow conditions
@snomwonkey, Good Housekeeping website has
tips for dealing with mildew.

They also have a deal on magazine subscription. Something interesting to read in your hot tub.
snowHead
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
Hot springs with an icy head are common in Japan and Iceland.

Oh yeah, it looks like they can just let the snow drip there. snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy