Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap family friendly resort for novice family in April

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

There are people suggesting Norway which is more expensive than Val!

I'm not sure that this is true. There is a wide assumption that Norway is expensive - I think that's mainly based on drinks prices! Which are very steep, so a visit to the duty free on the way out is not wasted...

For the Apr 2019, lift passes are more than E60 cheaper at Trysil over the week. Lessons are also a lot cheaper. I couldn't say for equipment hire but the accommodation prices don't look bad either. I've booked up a beautiful 4* apartment with breakfast for the cost of a basic SA apartment in Val D'Isere.

It's all a balance - VDI has a far greater variety of skiing, no argument. Trysil has no lift queues (longest I waited last year was three minutes). You choose!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
HoneyBunny wrote:
Layne wrote:
HoneyBunny wrote:
It also has free lifts to start off with and does beginner lift passes so you don't have to shell out for a full EK pass.

I'm not saying you are wrong but I've never heard of any resort doing a beginner lift pass. Do you have more details?

Here you go:

https://www.skiline.co.uk/blog/new-%E2%82%AC35-day-val-d%E2%80%99isere-ski-pass

Cheers. I can't find anything about it on the Val D official website but I do find a lot of resort websites hard to navigate around. That is a very interesting option for some. Seems a bit niche and I wonder if they'll be much of a take up.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w wrote:
Quote:

As a rule of thumb the expensive resorts are generally the biggest in terms of slopes so a small resort with 50-100kms of slopes will be 1/2 the price of big resorts in terms of eating out/ having a beer/ cheaper ski passes.

I'm not sure that's true - lift passes in a small resort (e.g. Les Saisies where I had an apartment) are still quite expensive - certainly more than half the price of, say, Tignes. Resorts like Val d'Isere can be very expensive for eating and drinking but there are some reasonable places AND it's perfectly possible to rent a small apartment, buy beer and wine in the supermarket to drink at home and live very well without spending a fortune. And in April weather should be good for picnicking up the mountain at lunchtime!

Whilst the half price quoted might be a slight exageration, on a like for like basis, the sentiment holds true IME. For example when we went to La Norma we had a bigger apartment for a lot less money than I'd pay in 3V or Paradiski. And the lift pass would be close to half price. A family pass in La Norma this season is 586 versus 976 for Paradiski. It's just a question of how much skiing you want or will use.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Damion75, and the accommodation in Norway is likely to be way better than Val D for a given price point.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Layne wrote:

Cheers. I can't find anything about it on the Val D official website but I do find a lot of resort websites hard to navigate around. That is a very interesting option for some. Seems a bit niche and I wonder if they'll be much of a take up.

Here are the details on the official site:

https://www.valdisere.ski/en/decouvrez-les-produits-val-d-isere#pass-debutant
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Skied in Trysil Hemsedal and Geillo it's brilliant for a family
Accommodation much cheaper and bigger than on main land Europe.
Food more expensive but we don't eat out and take loads of pasta rice etc with us
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy