Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better!
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort Recommendation for 8 Year Old

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello Everyone,

Looking for some advice Little Angel

Im 34 years old and have been skiing/snowboarding since ever i have been around Europe to an extent and now try to get to Canada as much as possible.

I have a currently 7 years old who turns 8 in October who i would like to give the chance for her to try skiing / snowboarding at a youngish age in a proper environment.

My outline plan is to get her somewhere for a 4 day (i cant do anymore than 4 day due to work) trip early season to somewhere in Europe where i can get her PROPER instruction to see how she goes.

The question is where do i take her....

Ideally you want snow sure with a short transfer time if possible but i would like somewhere with some other activities as well as snow sports maybe a swimming pool, bowling that kind of thing....

I have been recommended already to try Trysil in Norway and to stay in the Raddison Blu but i worry about the weather being so far north and i guess the days are really short.


Resorts ive been to in Europe include

Tignes
Val
Three Valleys
Les Arc
Bansko -- No WAY!
Kirchberg
Vars

On a quick search the usual flights from Scotland seem available pretty cheap im thinking about leaving 15th December ISH


Could anyone give me some other food for thought or is Norway worth a shout?

As always help much appreciated

Very Happy
latest report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@dave_wick,
If you're going for a short trip like this you may have to use private lessons.
I'd be tempted to 1) book flight then 2) see where the snow is. Depends a bit on where you fly too but from Scotland the easiest flights on a regular basis are probably to Geneva. Places with a high likelihood of good snow will include Tignes and the higher Tarentaise resorts but they are a longer transfer for a short trip . If the Portes du Soleil resorts or similar are open with decent snow they will provide a shorter transfer so less of your time is spent skiing and usually a bit more shelter if the weather is bad.
snow report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@dave_wick, what are you thinking in terms of her lessons?

We did Salen, Sweden in Feb half term (would recommend it for Feb) as by then the days are longer. However when we looked at lessons they only ran on mornings and for 90mins. This was why waited until this Feb just gone and didn’t book ski school on their request but they had both been skiing for a good number of years before hand (saying that think we should still have booked them some lessons but that is a different story). This setup seemed the same in Norway when we looked. Nb going across the border into Sweden means the food and drink is that bit cheaper.
snow conditions     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@dave_wick, there is a pool and bowling in Tignes
snow conditions     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I took my son (5 years old) to Avoriaz last winter, and it couldn't of been much more ideal. Everywhere is ski in/ski out and we were at the top of the village right next to the underground car park.

I sent him to Village Des Enfants for 6 mornings. I was a bit concerned on the 2nd morning as he wasn't very happy (there set a lot of upset children early in the week) and the instruction seemed a bit hit and miss, but he moved up a class and got a different instructor, and he loved it from then on. We were skiing the Super Morzine area together in the afternoons by the 4th day.

There are lots of non-skiing bits to do as well, such as swimming and bowling.
ski holidays     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
In terms of resorts for 15th Dec I your situation I would be inclined to look at Obergurgl. However I haven’t booked ski school there.

Courchevel would also be good and we went there the first time we my eldest skied (age 4), that equivalent week, staying above 1850 with Esprit. The lessons were organised through them so she ended up in lesson lesson group of 3 of them which was brilliant for her. The instructor was really good with them despite being ESF.
latest report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Did a TR for our Salen trip including some photos and video in the thread

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=136525&highlight=
snow report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@dave_wick, good idea to start them youngish. Couple of questions.
Would your daughter have done any snowsports at all before this trip, eg indoor snow slope, dry slope?
What would be your preference for travel from airport to mountains and back?
snowHead
latest report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tignes would be a good place to go - wide choice of excellent private instruction, as close to guaranteed snow as you'll get anywhere and swimming/bowling etc. Accommodation shouldn't be expensive that week - go up to Val Claret, so in case snow coverage at resort level is sketchy you have lifts to higher areas on your doorstep.
ski holidays     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
PeakyB wrote:
@dave_wick, good idea to start them youngish. Couple of questions.
Would your daughter have done any snowsports at all before this trip, eg indoor snow slope, dry slope?
What would be your preference for travel from airport to mountains and back?
snowHead


Hey,

At the moment no shes done absolutely nothing i called the dome in Glasgow and they weren't very helpful but it seemed HUGELY expensive im still not ruling out a trip down there though.

Not fussed on travel method but would prefer not to drive.
snow report     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@dave_wick, based on how my nephew developed I would strongly recommend getting past total beginner stage before you get out to a ski resort. He did three sessions at Xscape Castleford and got to the point he was riding the drag to the top and doing linked snowploughs and could stop. Made a huge difference on real snow as he was then straight up the mountain for lessons in the morning and skiing
(the same runs that he did with his teacher) with me in the afternoon. By the end of week one he was top to the bottom on a blue run with no problems. He felt like a proper skier.

I don't doubt it is a bit more difficult doing Wick to Glasgow than Keighley to Castleford. Dry slope any closer?
snow conditions     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think a lot depends on the child. Some will just jump on skis and do what the instructor tells them and be off up a lift in no time. Some are more apprehensive, take longer, need to be familiar with the equipment etc. People who say "children have no fear" don't know many children. wink
ski holidays     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
Tignes would be a good place to go - wide choice of excellent private instruction, as close to guaranteed snow as you'll get anywhere and swimming/bowling etc. Accommodation shouldn't be expensive that week - go up to Val Claret, so in case snow coverage at resort level is sketchy you have lifts to higher areas on your doorstep.


Just looking at Club Med there which appears to be perfect in the fact there would be other kids around.

Only week blocks though would be really pushing our luck to push a week.
latest report     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DJL wrote:
@dave_wick, based on how my nephew developed I would strongly recommend getting past total beginner stage before you get out to a ski resort. He did three sessions at Xscape Castleford and got to the point he was riding the drag to the top and doing linked snowploughs and could stop. Made a huge difference on real snow as he was then straight up the mountain for lessons in the morning and skiing
(the same runs that he did with his teacher) with me in the afternoon. By the end of week one he was top to the bottom on a blue run with no problems. He felt like a proper skier.

I don't doubt it is a bit more difficult doing Wick to Glasgow than Keighley to Castleford. Dry slope any closer?


It's not really that big of a problem to go to Glasgow for a couple of days it was the price that put me off was hundreds (cant remember exactly) for like 1 hour or something daft.

No idea how she would take to it in all honesty it could go either way..........
snow conditions     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dave_wick wrote:
pam w wrote:
Tignes would be a good place to go - wide choice of excellent private instruction, as close to guaranteed snow as you'll get anywhere and swimming/bowling etc. Accommodation shouldn't be expensive that week - go up to Val Claret, so in case snow coverage at resort level is sketchy you have lifts to higher areas on your doorstep.


Just looking at Club Med there which appears to be perfect in the fact there would be other kids around.

Only week blocks though would be really pushing our luck to push a week.


If you are able to do a week, take a look at Esprit as well, as you will have the other children there and going that week before Christmas it is a cheap week with them and much less busy - hence daughter ended up in a group of 3.
ski holidays     
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ski2 have excellent British instructors and do short breaks to Champoluc. Worth having a look at their website and just giving them a call to see what they could do for you. https://ski-2.com/

For lessons in Scotland it might be worth talking to Duncan Adamson - he's Scotland based BASI L4 and a really good instructor with lots of experience with kids. http://internationalsnowsportschool.com/
snow report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I really like Vars but for a complete novice I think that the beginner runs over the hill in Risoul would be better.
latest report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In regard to instruction in Trysil its very good (albeit the group lessons are short, you could go private if more time is needed).

The resort is excellent for beginners as they can get around nearly all of the resort on easy runs. Quite a few drags though.
ski holidays     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
DJL wrote:
@dave_wick, based on how my nephew developed I would strongly recommend getting past total beginner stage before you get out to a ski resort. He did three sessions at Xscape Castleford and got to the point he was riding the drag to the top and doing linked snowploughs and could stop. Made a huge difference on real snow as he was then straight up the mountain for lessons in the morning and skiing
(the same runs that he did with his teacher) with me in the afternoon. By the end of week one he was top to the bottom on a blue run with no problems. He felt like a proper skier......

+1

This is excellent advice for a beginner of any age. The more you do in the UK the better value/experience you'll get in resort as opposed to being stuck on the nursery slopes all week.
ski holidays     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just be aware that some resorts won't be open on 15 December, however good the snow!
snow report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Book a flight to Geneva.

3 days before you depart pick a resort with good snow and check it is open and the ski school is running. Book accomodation.

Note that a LOT of resorts will not be open on the 15th Dec even if there is snow eg Avoriaz opens 22 Dec.
latest report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you think of going as early as 15th of december, I would wait to see where there is snow.

After that approach I would look at places where families go to for there kind first skiing. I do not know where Scots (or other from that Island) go.

But places like Sälen, Trysil (most dark time of the year better for spring!!!), Wagrain, Flachau, Livingo, Skiwelt should be good for children to learn skiing - but watch out for snow.

For France I have no idea, but found this:
https://www.skiresort.info/best-ski-resorts/france/sorted/familes-children/

I would choose group in the beginning - but might be difficult to find a english group that early in the season. Later change til one to one if you want to give your child a gift for life.

But careful after that your child might fall for that life - mine ended up in Japan. Shocked
snow report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Courchevel 1850.
latest report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Verbier- Altitude Ski School.

Great for kids,ski and snowboard.


Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 27-08-18 20:30; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Braehead skiing is cheap with several 3 hour sessions available for £17.50, but as you've noticed, the lessons are stupid expensive.

I took my boys to Hillend for lessons (good value) & then once they were competent we went to Braehead for fun.

I'd quite like to do a lesson or 2 at Braehead but there's no way I'm paying £99 per hour.
ski holidays     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
McKenzie wrote:
Braehead skiing is cheap with several 3 hour sessions available for £17.50, but as you've noticed, the lessons are stupid expensive.

I took my boys to Hillend for lessons (good value) & then once they were competent we went to Braehead for fun.

I'd quite like to do a lesson or 2 at Braehead but there's no way I'm paying £99 per hour.


Im still working on this and if we go for it will be looking to get to a resort in January.

Braehead is ideal but the prices are a farce absolutely mental. (259 for 2 hours)

Is there anyone in and around the area that does like Private lessons?
ski holidays     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@dave_wick, I don't know where you're seeing your prices, unless you are specifically £ = 2 dyslexic. One hour taster session, £29.

Point though is that imho she'll want a few hours over a couple of weeks at least to get to the point. And if you're in Wick (are you?), that's a lot of driving to Glasgow.

Is there a dry slope in e.g. Inverness? (or even is there still one in Aviemore?) - there is defo one in Aberdeen but that might not help.

Dry slope (albeit a bit of a misnomer in Scotland) good enough!

Can't imagine you'll easily get a weekend out of Scotland to any of the more "exotic" destinations mentioned above. Not being silly, how about the Landgraaf fridge in the Netherlands? (Europe's longest I believe). You can definitely get AMS flights easily enough...
snow conditions     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
@dave_wick, I don't know where you're seeing your prices, unless you are specifically £ = 2 dyslexic. One hour taster session, £29.

Point though is that imho she'll want a few hours over a couple of weeks at least to get to the point. And if you're in Wick (are you?), that's a lot of driving to Glasgow.

Is there a dry slope in e.g. Inverness? (or even is there still one in Aviemore?) - there is defo one in Aberdeen but that might not help.

Dry slope (albeit a bit of a misnomer in Scotland) good enough!

Can't imagine you'll easily get a weekend out of Scotland to any of the more "exotic" destinations mentioned above. Not being silly, how about the Landgraaf fridge in the Netherlands? (Europe's longest I believe). You can definitely get AMS flights easily enough...


You joking?

I have 3 young ones i live 6 hours drive from Braehead i think we would need a little more than the taster session which ive seen on their site.

For 12 hours driving hotel bills etc the minimum we would go through all that for is the 2 hour option.
latest report     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't know opening dates so anything for early dates would need checking.

But from Geneva, Morillon 1100 for distance, cost, discreet nursery area plus excellent progression slopes. Short stay may be more difficult as mostly apartments but hotel at base village (Plain Morillon) available with telecabine ride up.

Pras de Lys, again with same attributes as above.

For PdS, I'd look at Champéry on Swiss side, more flexible accommodation in village with cable car direct to altitude for nursery slopes. Plus rail link from airport straight to village.

Further distance (the transfer may scrub it) Ste Foy. Excellent teaching facilities, great progression slopes, superb skiing for you all very close to any lessons she may have (you can probably be back to base in 10mins from anywhere on mountain) really relaxed uncrowded feel about it and they seem to prep and open early for race based training.
We introduced a whole family here to skiing, lads started at five and seven, plus mum too, they've had 3 yrs here now and don't really want to go anywhere else.
ski holidays     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ski3 wrote:
I don't know opening dates so anything for early dates would need checking.

But from Geneva, Morillon 1100 for distance, cost, discreet nursery area plus excellent progression slopes. Short stay may be more difficult as mostly apartments but hotel at base village (Plain Morillon) available with telecabine ride up.

Pras de Lys, again with same attributes as above.

For PdS, I'd look at Champéry on Swiss side, more flexible accommodation in village with cable car direct to altitude for nursery slopes. Plus rail link from airport straight to village.

Further distance (the transfer may scrub it) Ste Foy. Excellent teaching facilities, great progression slopes, superb skiing for you all very close to any lessons she may have (you can probably be back to base in 10mins from anywhere on mountain) really relaxed uncrowded feel about it and they seem to prep and open early for race based training.
We introduced a whole family here to skiing, lads started at five and seven, plus mum too, they've had 3 yrs here now and don't really want to go anywhere else.


Ste Foy is that the resort that Tignes / Val locals use at times there is low light?

Name rings a bell im sure an instructor i had years ago mentioned it ?
snow conditions     
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Another that may be of interest as local knowledge from the proprietor could be worth alot.

Les Houches, say opening lifts on third weekend of November, depending on snow.

Have a look at "Maison Jaune" chalet, it's right on the slope with piste running past the door. Speak To Helen the owner who has very good local experience to advise you.

I don't know their travel arrangements but you can get to the valley on the train from Geneva.
ski holidays     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@dave_wick, yes, it's on the road up to Tignes. You pass through the base village with ski area up to the left.
ski holidays     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Innsbruck

If there's snow, Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis

Short transfer
Very good value for money
Pool
Loads of children specific skiing on the mountain
Very good ski school from what I saw

I taught my 7 year old nephew there and he loved it
snow conditions     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Limited opening in the Grand Massif from that date. Flaine will be open though and it is higher. No way of knowing what it will be like until nearer the time. Agree with the others that booking flights into Geneva, then you have options once you know about the snow. Accommodation should be fine, so you can wait and see what you can pick-up once you know. As to the fridge or not, if it is convenient and you can afford it, give it a go, if not I don't see an issue with waiting until she gets onto the real stuff. If she is resilient, able to follow instructions and agile, then no reason why she won't progress quickly once she gets on skis. For 4 days you will be looking at private lessons though
snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Where are you based? I presume Inverness would be your closest airport?
snow conditions     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@dave_wick, errr, on the grounds I don’t think you volunteered all that information...

Their prices looked fine to me. I don’t think they include a “dave from wick” calculator on their site Puzzled
snow conditions     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anyway, pressing on, yeah, yeah, Les Houches would lurve to open 3rd week of November. I’ll lay good money they won’t. At least, not to a point worth paying a lift pass for. I have skied there Dec 10 it has to be said, and some of the local tourers on here have skinned up earlier, etc.

Champoluc is not a bad plan, but what were your flight plans/availability?

Dec 15 kinda suggests a bit of altitude or glacier, neither of which really lend themselves to kids. Just cos they’ll complain if the weather’s crap.
latest report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry i missed the name..... My point is if he's flying from Inverness, I don't think he can fly direct to Geneva so will have to go transit through a bigger airport and this opens up other airports in alps ie Salzburg Zurich, innsbruck etc.

I have also heard (2nd hand information) lecht (scotland) is planning to open on 1st Dec with help from this fancy new snow machine. Maybe worth a visit?

Been early in December I think I would forefit close transfers and head for some of the bigger resorts & if you did end up in Geneva I would hire a car and motor down to paradski/espace killy etc. I was very impressed with paisey vallandry for a quiet weekend and should be high enough for decent snow. I would also hunt out a british private independent instructor and book a few hours most mornings where ever you end up.
ski holidays     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I understand not all will agree but I believe most kids love the snow and are fast learners and also have no sense of fear. For that reason it’s easy to overthink getting them into skiing.
As long as you can get them on snow and teach them to stop and turn by snow plowing they will be skiing the whole mountain with you very quickly - no matter how young.
Pick a resort that suits you and get them sliding!
ski holidays     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi Dave,

I took my 8 and 9 yo daughters to trysil two years ago. They had only done a 2 hour group lesson at the snow zone in Tamworth before going. They had 4 days of 90 minutes private lessons in the morning followed by just skiing with me. By the end of the four days they could get down any of the groomed tracks and were even starting messing about between the few trees they had.

I highly recommend the setup trysil has but imagine the same could be said for any of the ski star resorts. Had booked to go again this season but brother is getting married in Australia so that takes priority in February. Crying or Very sad
snow report     



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy