Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Steepness conversion chart

Poster: A snowHead
I'm never able to mentally convert angle or ratio to percentage and just came across this chart. I'd always assumed 100% would be a vertical cliff but this suggests a 1:1 ratio is 100% (and also 45° which I'm not disputing).

Anyway, here it is, someone might find it useful.

http://www.greenbeltconsulting.com/articles/relationships.html
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So what is a 1:4 hill as an angle?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's bloody steep to walk or drive is what I do know.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
14deg
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Is that all?! Never! Just noticed it in the chart but around tother way, lol.

Don't think I'm going to get this - why is a vertical cliff only 45 d? 90 d would make sense in my non male brain.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So still pondering this with my feeble mathematical brain - does this mean that a cliff or a tree say, that is leaning/falling over, will be classed as being at a steeper angle even though they would be closer to the ground?

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 21-08-18 20:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cinsha wrote:

Don't think I'm going to get this - why is a vertical cliff only 45 d? 90 d would make sense in my non male brain.

A vertical cliff is 90 degrees. Madeye-Smiley
45 degrees value refers to the 100% slope percent way of expressing things. A vertical cliff (90 degrees) would have a slope percent value of infinity! Smile

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 21-08-18 20:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well that first post has confused me then and your second sentence I will take your word for, as not a clue. Puzzled Shocked Glad I have at least got that a vertical cliff is 90 deg. Phew! 😂
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cinsha wrote:

A vertical cliff isn't 45°. That would be 90° wink

100% = 45° = 1:1 = for every metre you go forward you go one metre up/down.

20% = 11° = 1:5 = 1 metre rise/fall for every 5 metres forward*

*I'm a bit rusty on the ratio/1 in n method, so someone please correct me if I've got that bit wrong, or the wrong way round
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Alastair Pink, @clarky999, Thanks boys for trying to educate me.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In terms of skiing 25 degrees - steep , 35 degrees - very steep, 45 degrees steeper than almost anyone skiing this forum has ever skied , t least on a sustained slope. 55 degrees - having trouble with the laws of physics. Oh and most ski resorts than publish figures lie.....a lot
To put it in perspective, the Glacier Rond which looks vertical form most places you can see it, is only 45 degrees for the top 70m or less. And if you do screw that one up in hard snow conditions it will kill you !
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cycling signs you see in the mountains are pretty easy to get your head around.

10% = 100m vertical over one km. That is pretty hard though not impossible to cycle on a road bike.

7.5% = 75m over a km

9% = 90m etc etc

Over 17% on a road bike as well as a MTB depending on the surface and it's close to getting off and pushing. Though E Mountain Bikes can cope with gradients well into 20 % and more.

In skiing terms 25 % is just about a goodv safe gradient off piste.

If it's feckin hard to walk up invariably it's over 30%
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weathercam wrote:
...and it's close to getting off and pushing...

Go wash your mouth out Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Guys, Gals, this thread is embarassing!
ski holidays
Steilhang wrote:
Guys, Gals, this thread is embarassing!

Sorry! wink
ski holidays
@Tom Doc, Cool
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
Cycling signs you see in the mountains are pretty easy to get your head around.

10% = 100m vertical over one km. That is pretty hard though not impossible to cycle on a road bike.

7.5% = 75m over a km

9% = 90m etc etc

Over 17% on a road bike as well as a MTB depending on the surface and it's close to getting off and pushing. Though E Mountain Bikes can cope with gradients well into 20 % and more.

In skiing terms 25 % is just about a goodv safe gradient off piste.

If it's feckin hard to walk up invariably it's over 30%
Most of my MTB routes around here have sections at 18%. With the right gears you don't need to push. The steepest is Esterbergalm which averages 17% over 600m and has one extended section at 25% and another shorter section at 30%, both doable without walking. Just sayin.
latest report
Idris wrote:
In terms of skiing 25 degrees - steep , 35 degrees - very steep, 45 degrees steeper than almost anyone skiing this forum has ever skied , t least on a sustained slope. 55 degrees - having trouble with the laws of physics. Oh and most ski resorts than publish figures lie.....a lot
To put it in perspective, the Glacier Rond which looks vertical form most places you can see it, is only 45 degrees for the top 70m or less. And if you do screw that one up in hard snow conditions it will kill you !

if memory serves, some of the steepest pisted slopes in Europe, are for example, 38 Degrees Hohne Save , Three valleys similar, Tunnel similar. Kamikaze alledgedly 42 degrees.
ski holidays
eblunt wrote:
Idris wrote:

if memory serves, some of the steepest pisted slopes in Europe, are for example, 38 Degrees Hohne Save , Three valleys similar, Tunnel similar. Kamikaze alledgedly 42 degrees.

Most are exaggerating, or based on only a few metres (or the backside of a mogul Wink ). 40+° on hard smooth groomed snow (only possible to groom with a cable) would be lethal, even before you factor in holiday skiers.
latest report
There's a sign at the top of Chavanette in PdS which claims it's > 90 deg. It's usually heavily mogulled, and littered with fallers, but I struggle to believe it's as steep as claimed. I wouldn't even say it's the steepest piste in the PdS, never mind the rest of the Alps.
snow report
Chamcham wrote:
There's a sign at the top of Chavanette in PdS which claims it's > 90 deg.

So that would actually be less 90 deg then. wink

Unless they meant > 90%.... Puzzled
ski holidays
My bad, 90%!
That's what they claim...
snow report
The excellent online Swiss maps app is very useful for looking at how steep something is:

https://www.swisstopo.admin.ch/en/maps-data-online/maps-geodata-online.html

If you look at this screenshot of the bit underneath the Chavanettes chair the gradient is an impressive 38.5 degrees or 80% although still not 90%. This tool will mask slight variations in the gradient, so the 80% could be comprised of 76% and 84% sections although I would be quite surprised if there was a smooth bit of piste where you could find it at 90%. I'm also not sure if the piste follows the route directly under the chair, looking at google maps (I've never skied there) it looks like it heads skiers left of the chair which is slightly mellower

It's an invaluable tool for planning off piste excursions along with the meticulous weather forecasts and weather forecasts that the Swiss produce
snow report
https://www.calcunation.com/calculator/degrees-to-percent.php
snow report
Sadly (or wisely) they are replacing La Crête drag lift in Montgenevre with a warning that it is for expert skiers only with a slope of more than 68%.
snow conditions
@Chamcham, I would suggest that although shorter and less exposed than Chavannette, the Machon bowl is perhaps steeper. There's defo a black run above Torgon that is steeper.

The top 50m or so of The Wall is steeper than the rest, it basically gets mellower as you descend. I am not a fan due to the frequency of self propelled missiles to the extent that I would discourage clients and take them down the front of Mossettes into Crosets instead (which is also steeper I think, iirc).

@volfy, replacing a drag with a sign? How does that work then?
ski holidays
@rambotion, That's a fun toy to play with Very Happy
@under a new name, Exactly, Combe du Machon and Tronchey Itineraire were the two I was thinking of. On the other hand, having played with @rambotion's, toy, It looks like Chavanette is steeper than Machon, but Tronchey's steeper than both.
Whatever, they're all fun Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rambotion, Does the tool calculate gradient for you, or do you have to do it by comparing the vertical and horizontal axes?
ski holidays
@Chamcham, you do still have to manually compare the horizontal and vertical distance.

The thing which makes the Swiss online maps than other countries' equivalents is that you can download it for free onto your phone and be able to see your position in real time. Most other countries don't have this function at all and those that do, OS maps for example, charge you quite a bit for it
latest report
Another thread got me thinking about Vars; has anyone been on the Chabrieres speed track?

Descent 435m Average Slope 52.5% Maximum Slope 98%

https://www.vars.com/en/winter/ski-area/speed-ski

Probably not!

Here's a few more stats: 0 to 200 km/hr in just 6 seconds, World Speed Record 254.958kph
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy