Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any SnowHeads living in/around Geneva?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi!
I wondered if there were any snowHeads living in Geneva or the surrounding resorts. Looking for friends to help me through the off-season period or maybe some trips down to Tignes.
Sally
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I live over in Fribourg, I was just trying to work out when Cervinia was open actually, any idea ? I see Glacier 3000 will open on June 19th.

And welcome to Snowheads as well !!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowHeads, sparish snowHead

'fraid I'm stuck in north west England, so can't help with your quest!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Sally, welcome to snowHeads!

PG is down in Bourg St. Maurice so if you're heading for Tignes u might pick him up on the way Wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ise wrote:
I live over in Fribourg, I was just trying to work out when Cervinia was open actually, any idea ? I see Glacier 3000 will open on June 19th.

I drove through Fribourg today! I don't know about you but it is so sooooo frustrating to have all this snow around and hardly anywhere with a lift moving. Zermatt and Tignes being the only options now, right?
Oh, I know.....don't anyone preach to me about the economics of the ski industry.....what about the mental health of us skiers!!
Perhaps I should get the seal skins out Confused

June 19th, eh...
Ready and waiting.
Sally
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sparish, Tignes? Not any more! Today was the last day, sad to say... (see photos). Tignes and 2 Alpes reopen June 19th..... [Welcome, Sally snowHead ]
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Huh! Yuuur Juurking! (Best Geordie accent!) But..But...I thought they had promised to stay open this year!!!
Sob Crying or Very sad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sparish wrote:
ise wrote:

I drove through Fribourg today! I don't know about you but it is so sooooo frustrating to have all this snow around and hardly anywhere with a lift moving. Zermatt and Tignes being the only options now, right?
Oh, I know.....don't anyone preach to me about the economics of the ski industry.....what about the mental health of us skiers!!
Perhaps I should get the seal skins out Confused

June 19th, eh...
Ready and waiting.
Sally

There's Engelberg as well of course. Although it looked grim yesterday.

As for touring, I don't do any right now but I would love to have a go. If we could get a small group together and found somewhere we could get some guiding and kit I would be very interested. I'd like to join the large numbers of people I see in the Grand Massif in Nov/Dec skinning up into the Vernant each year.

I've also not been to Cervinia so I'd be very interested to try it if I could work out when they're open, that's pretty to Geneva. I'll bet there some reasonable priced B&B over that way as well.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The reason for the profoundly troubled emoticon is....I have never ski toured either rolling eyes

So now we are looking for anyone in the Geneva area who can lead us in a spot of ski touring. Any offers? I cook a mean Japanese dinner in return.

The conditions around here would be perfect.
Talking of the Grand Massif....I was there during the ski touring race in March. The fastest climb was 40 minutes from the base of Flaine to the Summit of the DMC. I do believe the queue for the DMC takes longer in February!

I have only ever skied to Cervinia from Zermatt. Zermatt takes about 2.30 hours from here but I guess going round to Cervinia would take the same.
I am sure that only the glacier on the Zermatt side is open.

Any more snowheads around here to help hatch a plan?
Sally
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sparish wrote:
The reason for the profoundly troubled emoticon is....I have never ski toured either rolling eyes

So now we are looking for anyone in the Geneva area who can lead us in a spot of ski touring. Any offers? I cook a mean Japanese dinner in return.

The conditions around here would be perfect.
Talking of the Grand Massif....I was there during the ski touring race in March. The fastest climb was 40 minutes from the base of Flaine to the Summit of the DMC. I do believe the queue for the DMC takes longer in February!

I have only ever skied to Cervinia from Zermatt. Zermatt takes about 2.30 hours from here but I guess going round to Cervinia would take the same.
I am sure that only the glacier on the Zermatt side is open.

Any more snowheads around here to help hatch a plan?
Sally

I forgot about that race, I saw that as well, so when was it? A fairly warm day as I recall since I can remember sitting outside at the Brasiere in Flaine and seeing them clean up.

I reckon Cervinia is the cheap option compared to Zermatt , for an overnighter then Italian prices must better than Swiss.

As for touring, there's some guides round Leysin, Verbier and Ovronnaz I think. I'm going to ask round the office and see what interest I can generate there.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Much better.........coffee in Cervinia too. Funny though.....I remember getting herded into the Gondola in Cervinia with maybe twenty Italian guys. I do believe the thing had a capacity of 8! It was a sunny day in November, the shades were on and my....I felt like I had overdosed on testosterone when I got out! Wow! Still makes me quiver. None of that in Zermatt, of course!

I have friends in Leysin too. Knowing Leysin...my friends are BOUND to know yours.

I could ask in my office too.. yeah, right! Naah..full of people who worship the sun. Why do you think I am on snowheads!!

Ooh..a plan is ahatching.
sal
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ah sparish, I see we still have a "name" for that kind of things.
Oh well. rolling eyes

Anyway I have friends living, actually working, in Geneva they're Brits, so your... should be safe Razz
Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh no..this was REAL! It was tangible!
Anyway, who said I was complaining? I was merely making a cultural comparison with one side of a mountain and the other
Wink

And who wants to be safe?...I ski with a helmet so I can justify doing dangerous things Laughing

So...at last another Snowhead in the "area", which may have just grown 1000 miles depending on which part of Italy you are in Smile

So Matteo, where are you? (please let it be a wonderful village famous for its fantastic wine!!!)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sparish, Very Happy Ahr ahr. I wasn't complaining too....but it's been so long since I..one thing that I liked was to put a glove on top of one of my poles and to...while passing girls standing still. But I was 17...ages ago. Now I've grown old and sedate. Very Happy
In the village next to mine they do produce wine, but it's neither famous nor fantastic,
I live in Lombardy, 30 km north-north-east from Milan, the village I live in is the last flat land village before the hills begin in the area, and then transforms in the Alps ("fore" Alps actually).
Some distances:
Madesimo is 100 km away
Seaside is 160 km (Genova) away
Geneva is some 400km away...this is one of the reasons I don't visit my friends as often as I wish. Sad
Another friend will start working in Grenoble in a couple of months I think.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh, I drove to Milan in two hours from Geneva! Admittedly I was on my way to an important match at the San Siro(Newcastle V. Inter- another testosterone experience!) ...and I drove a little too fast, but heh! That's nooooooo excuse. Come on over!

But seriously, if Ise and I get some skiing organised...surely worth the trip. And you can drive via Alba and pick up some decent wine on the way!!
Oh and you get to see your friends too Wink
Maybe for five minutes or so!
snow report
Two hours, sparish that's fast! Was it at night? Or not in a rush hour timeframe?.
Did you drive thru the Mont Blanc tunnel?

Well, yes why not? As long as you'll use the lifts. Skinning up the mountains is a no-no for me.
P.S. I don't need to drive via Alba...my uncles are wine handlers. Ehe.
But since you mentioned it, is via Alba a more direct route?
I drove thru the Mont Blanc, when I last came to visit to Geneva.
And as you may have seen, the Milan-Turin chunk of the track is a nightmare.
snow report
My goodness, I aint going skiing with you. You dont know your way round Italy never mind a ski map Wink
Alba is certainly out of your way and yes, I would take the tunnel. Actually...it was probably more like three hours...but with an important football game to get to.....
My friend insisted on playing Paolo Conte all the way there!

Perhaps you should take the train......... Laughing
snow conditions
Paolo Conte? Who is he? A map? What's a map?
Laughing

Actually there is some truth in the above, as Paolo Conte is virtually unknown in Italy...
And yes, I usually loose my way around a mountain quite easily Wink

The train may be a better option, even if I remember my last combined rail/ski trip as a bit of a nightmare, with the ski boots dangling below the backpack so that at ech step I was "self" kicking my bottom (but it was ages ago, I must have been 19-20) ...
ski holidays
sparish, welcome to snowHeads-glad to see another Newcastle fan on the forum. Just had an agonising couple of hours listening to the Toon v Liverpool-pleased we at least manged to qualify for UEFA. Wish I lived nearer to Geneva, but more like closer to Newcastle (Durham).
ski holidays
Hehe!
A lass after me own 'art! I was doing exactly the same.

The thing is the word 'agony' and 'Newcastle' go hand in hand.
Still, it's nice to be able to get tickets for the European games and drive from Geneva. Milan last year, Basel, this year. The other thing is the hours time difference and the quick ride to the slopes in Geneva. That way we can ski all day and still get to watch Newcastle on Sky on a Sunday!! A perfect day if ever there was one!!!
Anyway, Durham is quite nice!
Sally
latest report
Sally, sounds like the best of both worlds, you got to more games this season than me-have a half share next year though.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy