Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Settle an argument

Poster: A snowHead
A group of us ski together twice each year (2 long weekends) and have yet to agree on our destination for next season. We are broadly in agreement that we want to go somewhere new. We have four resorts on the short-list: Engelberg, Davos, Ischgl and a return to Warth.

Questions are
Engelberg - Is there enough skiiing for 3 days? One of a member and off piste demon keen on this
Davos - any good? Expensive on mountain and après schi?
Ischgl - worth the extra driving from Zurich airport?
Warth - went last year but suspect way better than other three?

Any help to bottom this out so we can get a date firmed up much appreciated. Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ischgl gets my vote.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Snowsartre, Engelberg can get exceedingly busy at weekends, on account of its close proximity to several large Swiss cities. Though it's my closest big resort I no longer go because driving ever so slightly further results in significantly more actual skiing time (as opposed to queueing time). You're also competing for lift capacity with 1000s non-skiing tourists for whom it is one some kind of must see list. going Great if you can go mid-week but I would not recommend it for a weekend trip. Apart from that there's plenty of good off piste but the piste skiing isn't all that interesting.

Davos is nice ski area with something for everyone but very expensive to stay in (even by Swiss standards). If that's not an issue I'd probably vote for that.

Otherwise Ischgl is pretty good all round.

I've skied all the above but not Warth so not sure how they compare.

Above all of those I'd pick Andermatt though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Snowsartre, why Zurich?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, cheaper flight with Swiss than the staple Lufthansa LHR-MUC.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Snowsartre, than to GVA or MXP? Should also have asked, why CH?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Snowsartre, for Ischgl, fly into Innsbruck and save on the drive time?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Scarlet, flight times rubbish. Essentially only Lufthansa and Swiss for flights for long weekend as we carry skis and don’t want to pay extra for carriage. Limits airports to MUC and ZHR as GVA silly money on desired travel dates
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another vote for Ischgl. In the past it has been hard to find accomodation there close to the lifts but no probs with the car.

I have skied there several times it is great. The long run down to Switzerland is worth doing but take your passport just in case. Return on the double decker cable car.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Snowsartre, ah. I could rarely be bothered carrying skis for weekends, when we did them.

You sure the marginal costs of skiing CH at current FX make it worthwhile?

I’d be hiring kit and skiing Italy more if I was UK based I think.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowsartre wrote:
@Scarlet, flight times rubbish. Essentially only Lufthansa and Swiss for flights for long weekend as we carry skis and don’t want to pay extra for carriage. Limits airports to MUC and ZHR as GVA silly money on desired travel dates

You might consider putting all your gear in your ski bags as it’s just a weekend. I can get enough gear in my ski bag for a couple of weeks.

That might give you more options.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 19-08-18 16:40; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another vote for Andermatt 👌
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Doesn't Warth get crossed off the list immediately for not being new?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ischgl is not far off as good as the Arlberg, not as good off piste but then not many places are. Ischgl doesnt have the village charm of Warth a good deal more brash. As long as the roads are OK (the Paznauntal road sometimes gets closed due to avalanche risk) I would say around 45 minutes from St Anton / east end of Arlberg tunnel.

Zürich is a really nice airport far better than GVA. Swiss is a pretty good airline too. If you are anywhere central / east London consider London City airport rather than LHR, far more pleasant and (I think) 4 flights a day to both ZRH and GVA
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Warth great but pita for long weekends I’d go Ischgl and via train from ZRH, or why not try Verbier (train from GVA to Martigny and stay there and bubble up daily....
latest report
Why LHR? Other London airports are available and may be better for flights and transfers.
latest report
Gerry wrote:
Snowsartre wrote:

You might consider putting all your gear in your ski bags as it’s just a weekend. I can get enough gear in my ski bag for a couple of weeks.

That might give you more options.

+1

(Also BA fly to IBK and can be pretty cheap)
snow conditions
^ Easyjet too, I think.
snow conditions
You're wanting an internet forum to settle an argument? Laughing
snow report
Pretty sure it has been settled that for weekend convenience LON-GVA is the thing ...
snow report
Alwayus great to try new ski areas in my opinion, Engleberg is resonably close to Zurich, itsd got enough variety and piste ,go for it.
ski holidays
IBK flight schedule from the UK is pretty pants for maximising ski time at minimum time off work for long weekenders. Worth flying to ZRH or MUN in preference from my research.

Engelberg has plenty of skiing - just as gamsbock sez it gets pretty mobbed at weekends. Get up early and stay ahead of the crowds at weekend is my advice. Andermatt probably a quiter call though.
snow conditions
Quote:

IBK flight schedule from the UK is pretty pants for maximising ski time at minimum time off work for long weekenders. Worth flying to ZRH or MUN in preference from my research.

@Dave of the Marmottes, Agree with that, its pratically non-existent from the North into IBK, a real missed opportunity for Tirol I think, can't understand why they don't open it up more. Monarch used to do a half-decent service (at a high cost) before their demise, but nowadays like you say its MUC or ZRH unless you go on the EJ once a week one which has lousy times. I was looking at this in some detail a couple of months ago and in the end just went with ZRH Swiss flights, MUC has got to be a real pain with the roads jams etc, and trains into Tirol ex MUC are poor - real shame for a region so well marketed that they don't seem able to get people in/ out easily (to UK anyway)......perhaps they're looking longer term post 31st March 2019 and thinking UK wont need them after the economic crash. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Another vote for Ischgl - v good lift-served off-piste which doesn't get immediately tracked out
snow conditions
HoneyBunny wrote:
Another vote for Ischgl - v good lift-served off-piste which doesn't get immediately tracked out

And another vote here too.
snow conditions
@Markymark29, The reality is that the UK is a small part of the market (and likely to get smaller). Most visitors drive whether by car or coach. When I go to St Anton I go by train but everywhere else in the Tirol or Salzburgerland (unfortunately) car is the only practical method of transport for a skiing weekend, certainly for the resorts I prefer.
snow report
@Snowsartre,
Engleberg is the only one I know. I like it a lot but I wouldn't bother if you are not going to ski off piste. The piste skiing is limited (although pretty good) but it misses the point of the place.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy