Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

level 3 skis?

Poster: A snowHead
am planning on doing the optional performance training course in november for basi 3..... i will get some new planks for it as , piste skis are a bit hard work for this (race plate, heavy etc)

i have read a few bits where people seem be nearly on a slalom ski 165cm ish radius approx 13m..... has anyone either done the actual tech or the training module to give some ideas.... am thinking either a atomic or salomon ski as basi have got decent deals with them....

cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally I would think that a slalom ski would not be ideal: too much of a one-trick pony. If that's what you already had then it might make sense but I wouldn't go out and buy some for the course. BASI's recommendation from their blog on this a year or two ago is...

"In conclusion I would say that if you get a 16-18m radius piste ski, fairly stiff with a good fitting and equally matched flex boot then that is a good choice."
https://blog.basi.org.uk/which-skis-are-best-for-my-basi-technical-course/

What are the piste skis that you currently find a bit hard work?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ajc2260626, check-out the Dynastar range. I run their Pro Deal offering in the UK/Ireland and they give excellent level dependent discounts to instructors. I've got loads of BASI/IASI customers on them including skimottaret and rob@rar.

If you PM me your email address I can send you the Pro price list.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My feedback from the trainer on my L2 included a description of the type of ski I should be on for my next course, which was a perfect description of the Dynastar speedzone 14s I had spent the fortnight on... Very Happy I reckon he approved of them, I was certainly very happy with them!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@spyderjon, cheers jon i will drop you a line...

@Tubaski, what length / turn radius were yours mate?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ajc2260626, Mine are 15m radius in 174cm. For reference I'm 180cm tall and weigh about 80kg.

That's kinda interesting, as it is a slightly shorter radius than suggested by that BASI blog @kieranm referenced. There is also a video on the BASI site from last year suggesting the best skis for L1,L2 - which might seem irrelevent to your question, except if you watch it he does also suggest the Speedzone 14 may also be suitable for a level 3 course.
https://www.basi.org.uk/BASI/Home_Page_News/The_best_skis_for_Level_1_and_2_courses.aspx
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Tubaski, to be honest thats in line with what i have heard and seen else where.... most people are going quite short and turny as that does overall seem to help when trying to get to the level..... i remember seeing a thread not so long ago on here which i might have posted to, and level 3's were pretty much all on slalom skis.....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I did my L2 on volkl rtm 80, 80mm underfoot, 166 cm length, 15.6 radius.

I did try some shorter radius skis at the start, but it was a little too short imho
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Little Martin, how tall are you?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ajc2260626, I think you should look for a stiffish all round piste performance oriented ski for L3 training and exams. What your vital stats and what is your weakest and strongest strands? forgetting the skis for a moment what technical skills do you feel you need to work on to get to L3 level. Whack some video up and you would get better feedback.

I am on Speedzone 14's and love em as all rounders and I think are a great ski for L3 duties but somewhat dependent on how heavy you are and how stiff a ski you are used to/prefer? ps. I am supported by Dynastar and previously Head.

When you say "piste skis are a bit hard work for this (race plate, heavy etc) " what do find hard about em?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@skimottaret, i have a pair of old salomon trace with a race plate, 175cm with 17m turn radius, i have done some training with them and even the instructor said that they were hard work which put him off buying a pair, he went for the softer ones without the race plate.

i have no video but i would say that my longs are decent, shorts not as good but ok, bumps need help...... i fancy something about 165 with a radius of about 13m

am just under 5'10" and weigh about 13 stone (80kgs)

i am leaning towards Atomic or Salomon as the deals are a lot better on the face it than other suppliers.... jon very kindly sent me dynastars list but as only level 2 they are not that much off and chunk more cash i think, but i will email jon back
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
He / she may have said they were hard work but your trainer isn't trying to pass his L3 Wink Did you like em and could you bend em?

A stiff race oriented ski with a plate at your weight may not be needed if your longs are ok and perhaps something more nimble may suit you for your weaker strands. 165 is a touch short imo at your weight and height perhaps 170-175 may suit better. 13 M radius may make your shorts "look" better but could prove tricky in the bumps/variables being an SL spec ski. A decent examiner will take into consideration your equipment on exams. I would suggest even stronger the Dynastar 14's after your last post but understand about cost point and discounts.. don't know much about Atomic. The new Redster looks a great ski but they are very narrow underfoot and may not be great for variables given your bumps need work I would guess variables may need work as well? Rossignol may be an option. They do a basi deal as well as atomic and have a wide range of tech skis. An old pair of Head Magnums may suit as well if you are after a turny ski with a bit of float and width underfoot. Just food for thought, good luck on your journey!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have you considered that the current thinking seems to be that you're allowed to choose your skis based on the day and the conditions? I wore fatter, softer skis a couple of days on my last exam, and the examiner said that this would be moreso the case going foreward.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
my variables are ok, but this is probably because i do a bit off piste etc, hadn't really considered more than one ski option.... my others are bent chetler with a touring set up etc so probably not that relevant....

what sort of two ski option do you think, there was a girl (very good skier, ex uk uni racer) who could do anything on a pair of all mountain skis.....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AdamNotts wrote:
Have you considered that the current thinking seems to be that you're allowed to choose your skis based on the day and the conditions? I wore fatter, softer skis a couple of days on my last exam, and the examiner said that this would be moreso the case going foreward.

Interesting and first time I've heard that, what course was that on?

My only concern is what happens though if you are on your fatter softer skis and they decide that due to changing conditions they are going to do longs?

I did my L2 on Head Titan, the instructor said I was over skiing them and to get something stiffer. I was probably around 78kg then and 178cm. Went for Volkl Code L which I really enjoy and seem to work well in most conditions.

regards,

Greg
snow conditions
@ajc2260626, one other thought, look for "last" years or even the years before version of skis mentioned in the thread above. That's where I picked up my Volkls for a very good price off Ebay via an Austrian store clearing out stock
ski holidays
@ajc2260626, I'm 165cm "tall", I was around 70kg at the time

I think I out ski my 165cm titans a bit now when I'm pushing myself.
ski holidays
@kitenski, @Little Martin, When you are "over/out skiing" your Titans how do you tell and what does it feel like? Don't doubt that you may be doing so, just curious how you know..
snow conditions
@skimottaret, My L2 trainer told me Smile

Doing longs mostly, I think now looking back they were starting to feel a bit loose and unsafe at faster speeds, whereas the current Volks are rock steady in comparison.

I wonder perhaps if someone else watching sees "too much" bend in the ski??
ski holidays
Feeling a bit flappy / loose most likely is more to due with the pace you are at and being on a laterally soft ski as opposed to over skiing em.

Bending the ski is a good thing, "too much" is hard to check visually but for me it is when a skier is bending the ski but isn't getting anything back when it unbends... For instance I am sure you could easily bend beginner rental skis when doing longs but they won't help you to achieve any performance.

Looking at it another way do you ever feel a "release" or getting "pinged" in the work/release phase of the turn when skiing hard/well on your Volkls? If so did the same happen to you when you were on your Titans?

EDIT : where in the turn did you feel loose?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 16-08-18 13:12; edited 2 times in total
latest report
skimottaret wrote:

Looking at it another way do you ever feel a "release" or getting "pinged" in the work/release phase of the turn when skiing hard/well on your Volkls? If so did the same happen to you when you were on your Titans?

I hoping that the answer should be yes as that's the sensation I love when I'm carving hard as I release the pressure to change edges.

I can even feel it on my Soul 7s.......
snow report
skimottaret wrote:

Yeh if I lean back on the Volkls I know about it, whereas the Titans would let me get away with it a bit more. You could still feel the release doing shorts on the Titans, but it's more noticeable on the Volks.
snow conditions
@kitenski, leaning back on the tails probably put you onto the stiffest part of the ski and you would feel it more. What did it feel like when you load the shovels on each ski?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy