Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Confused by Swiss air

Poster: A snowHead
So Swiss air used to let passengers take skis in addition to the baggage allowance. I just booked a flight and seems like skis go free as long as they are within the baggage allowance, ie your one checked bag would have to be the ski bag, same as BA.

Does anyone know for sure what the Swiss policy is now? (I have contacted them but no response yet, hoping to cancel ticket if ski carriage not included hence want a speedy answer)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Similarly Lufthansa seem to have gone a bit incomprehensible on ski carriage.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This page is still up, and seems pretty clear. What are you seeing or hearing that is different?
https://www.swiss.com/unitedkingdom/EN/swiss-the-skiers-airline-lon.html
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That page is still up, but how do you get there from the Swiss.com homepage?

If you go to Swiss.com - Prepare - Baggage - Special Baggage it says you take sports equipment as your checked bag.

@brokenbetty, I’d call/email them and get it in writing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
https://www.swiss.com/gb/EN/prepare/baggage/special-baggage

Ski equipment

Pair of skis,
1 pair of ski poles,
1 pair of ski boots ,
(also in a separate bag)
1 helmet

Free transport of first equipment per passenger3
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Themasterpiece wrote:
That page is still up, but how do you get there from the Swiss.com homepage?

By clicking the Winter in Switzerland link (picture)

Themasterpiece wrote:
If you go to Swiss.com - Prepare - Baggage - Special Baggage it says you take sports equipment as your checked bag.

And if you search within there for skis if says your first ski equipment is free.
I agree that if you try to apply the first paragraph on that page under Transporting Sport Equipment then it does seem confusing, but this hasn't changed recently. I remember being confused by it when I first flew Swiss 2 years ago.
@brokenbetty it doesn't hurt to check, but I suspect you'll be just fine.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks, looking again I agree it’s clear
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Your ski and snowboard equipment travels for free*

SWISS has the experience and know-how of transporting your ski and snowboard equipment. Being the skiers' airline of choice we are happy to transport your first set of skis/snowboard and boots free of charge in addition to your standard free baggage allowance –– external link. Your standard free baggage allowance per person is 1 piece of max. 23kg in Economy Class* and 2 pieces of max. 32kg in Business Class.

*Free ski carriage is not applicable for travel on our Economy Light fares.
Free equipment carriage is provided for the following items:

1 x pair skis, 1 x pair boots, 1 x pair ski poles, 1 x helmet, OR
1 x snowboard, 1 x pair snowboard boots, 1 x helmet
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmmm b*gger - looks like the rules changed in April :
https://www.swiss.com/ie/EN/prepare/baggage/special-baggage
if you scroll down to the table at the bottom the "free transport of first equipment per passenger" is for tickets issued before 18/04/2018

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 5-08-18 10:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all. Yes, I found the “winter in Switzerland” page via Google but couldn’t find the link from the homepage and all the flights are 17/18 so wasn’t sure it applies, whereas following the links Home/Prepare/Special Baggage definitely says Sport Equipment has to be part of the baggage allowance.

Feel a bit more confident because the Winter link is available from the homepage but given it is obviously from last season I still want to get confirmation from Swiss. Still haven’t heard back from the email I sent, will chase em up today.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
They are usually quite good at replying but being Sunday will probably be tomorrow.

If you look at the sporting goods page, all prices for all equipment state for tickets sold before 18/4/18 so not clear what the policies are for anything now. I would be surprised if it changed as that has been their selling point for the last several years!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looks like the policy is for skis to be included in the 1 item @ 23kg limit so a ski bag in addition to a hold bag is considered an additional item, and the price has gone up from 50 to 80eu each way too Confused

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh. I've flown Swiss quite often for the free ski transport. EasyJet from now on I guess.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That says free transport of first equipment, where 1 ski/board equipment is 1pr skis or 1 board plus boots (in a different bag).

It's always been a bit confusing, at least on Lufthansa, where it looks like skis are on the special/sporting baggage list but actually you get one set free (although you have to phone the €1 per minute hotline to tell them you're bringing skis/board).

edit: but you have to have booked the ticket fare that includes 1 baggage allowance - that way you get 1 baggage allowance and 1 ski/board equipment. if you book the handbaggage only fare and then buy an addon baggage extra, you don't get the ski/board carriage and have to pay the excess/special/sports baggage fare.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@geoffers, I'm not so sure. There is still the free ski kit page.

Not entirely sure what Swiss are up to. I'm Silver and until a couple of years ago, got a free checked bag on a "Light" fare.

Which made a ~€50 difference and meant I always booked Swiss over U2 if suitable.

Now U2 are invariably cheaper...guess who gets my business...
snow report
Skis still go free on Swiss and LH
snow report
Yep, just got confirmation from Swiss Air on Twitter.

Hi Liz, it's in addition to your free baggage allowance. So if you have an Economy Classic Fare, you can check in one suitcase (23kg) and a ski bag. You can find some more details here: (link: https://bit.ly/1iSfaEL) bit.ly/1iSfaEL. Best regards, Leslie
snow report
Excellent, can still keep my business with Swiss then!

I would have been surprised if they changed it tbh
latest report
Now that I see@geoffers' screen shot of the policy I think it's clear.

Sports equipment is included in the 23kg.
The prices for extra sports equipment are valid for tickets issued before 18/04/2018
Ski equipment has free transport for the first equipment, after that charges apply. Not regarded as sports equipment for the first item so is in addition to the 23kg

so no change - just need to read the whole thing logically.
latest report
This isn't the first time that we have a thread about how confusing the Swiss website is with regard to free ski carriage. You'd hope they could make it a bit clearer.
latest report
brokenbetty wrote:
Yep, just got confirmation from Swiss Air on Twitter.

Hi Liz, it's in addition to your free baggage allowance. So if you have an Economy Classic Fare, you can check in one suitcase (23kg) and a ski bag. You can find some more details here: (link: https://bit.ly/1iSfaEL) bit.ly/1iSfaEL. Best regards, Leslie

It would be more reassuring if that link was to their UK site rather than the Irish site.
snow report
Doesn’t look too confusing to me, neither does Lufthansa.
latest report
@Markymark29, you probably mean this page https://www.lufthansa.com/uk/en/Flat-rates-for-sports-baggage as your link just goes to the home page. but I agree, not confusing

Skiing Equipment:
One pair of skis
One pair of ski poles
One pair of ski boots
One ski helmet

Maximum number of items: 2

Information about carriage:
In addition to your free baggage allowance, you may carry one set of skiing equipment free of charge on your Lufthansa flight with the exception of flights to/from the USA, Mexico and Central America (Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Panama). You will be charged the price stated above for any additional skiing equipment.

On the Economy Class Light fare, free transport of skiing equipment instead of a booked item of baggage or in addition to a booked item of baggage is not included and the above-listed charges will apply.

The weight of skiing equipment must be within the weight restrictions for the respective travel class
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
Doesn’t look too confusing to me, neither does Lufthansa.

I agree, the Lufthansa page is very clear.

However, on the Swiss special baggage page (https://www.swiss.com/gb/EN/prepare/baggage/special-baggage), the only time that the phrase "Free transport of first equipment per passenger" appears is under the columns for tickets bought prior to 18/04/2018. On that basis, the price is the standard prices at the top of the page. (This may not be what Swiss mean, but it is what the page says.)
ski holidays
@sugarmoma666, disagree. It could be more explicit for those are not convinced but it is very clear IMHO
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
@sugarmoma666, disagree. It could be more explicit for those are not convinced but it is very clear IMHO

I write computer specs for a living. Double checking audience interpretation of text is about half of what I get paid for. Making sure what I write is explicit in the first place is the other half. Never underestimate how many ways people can interpret what seems totally explicit, never mind something even slightly ambiguous!

Off topic: Years ago there was a BBC website test. I forget what it what supposed to show, but basically it gave you the sequence 2,4,6,8,? and you could add the next number in the sequence then check if it was right. You could try as many different numbers as you wanted with no penalty. To complete the task, you submitted the rule for the sequence.

Apparently most people tested one number then proposed the rule. I tested something like 27 Very Happy

(The answer was, each number is bigger than the one before)
snow report
@brokenbetty, you mean like...
?
Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Yep, 27 would work Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@brokenbetty, tell me about it. I run an organisation of 2000 members.... 2000 different interpretations of how to book an event!
snow report
On a luggage-related note... it's very disappointing to see that both BA & KLM have abolished their free luggage allowance - even on Transatlantic flights.

Both are now charging £60 return for a check-in bag.

Never mind. The world will soon be one big Ryanair/Easyjet/budget airline....(sigh) rolling eyes
ski holidays
Bergmeister wrote:
On a luggage-related note... it's very disappointing to see that both BA & KLM have abolished their free luggage allowance - even on Transatlantic flights.

Both are now charging £60 return for a check-in bag.

Never mind. The world will soon be one big Ryanair/Easyjet/budget airline....(sigh) rolling eyes

Fake News?????!!!!!

Quote from current BA website...… https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/sporting-goods-and-musical-instruments

"Ski and snowboarding equipment
You can take your skis or snowboard equipment as checked baggage, provided it is packed correctly and within your baggage allowance.
Use a bag made for skis or snowboards to carry your equipment. This bag can be no longer than 190cm in length due to airport and aircraft baggage systems restrictions.
Your skis/snowboard and boots can be packed in the same checked baggage with your clothes as long as it doesn't exceed the maximum dimensions of 190 x 75 x 65cm (75 x 29.5 x 25.5in) and weighs no more than your weight allowance. If the weight is exceeded, you’ll be charged extra at the airport.
If you pack your boots separately from your skis or snowboard, your boot-bag can be carried as cabin baggage if it fits into our hand-baggage gauge. If it doesn't fit, it must be checked in, so make sure you know your baggage allowance.
If you're travelling on a hand baggage only (Basic) fare you will need to pay extra to check in any additional bags. It doesn't matter what is in these bags, if they're being checked in, you will have to pay extra.
For safety reasons you are not allowed to board the aircraft wearing your ski boots."
latest report
There has been a few subtle changes for Scandinavian Airlines baggage rules from May 2018. You can still take a ski and boot bag as your one checked bag. But you must request approval in advance (like Lufthansa). Before you could always just rock up with your ski bag.

And before Eurobonds gold members got extra baggage allowance on the very cheapest SAS Go Light tickets. But now they are hand luggage only.
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:

Where are the page does is say anything about free ski carriage for tickets bought post 18/04/2018?

(It may of course be clearer when displayed on some devices, but on a desktop the only mention of the first skis or snowboard going free is in the columns about tickets bought before 18/04/18. On this occasion I can't even see any ambiguity in the page.)
ski holidays
so from what I can see on swiss, you still get your ski's and boots free in addition to your bag

"Your ski and snowboard equipment travels for free*
SWISS has the experience and know-how of transporting your ski and snowboard equipment. Being the skiers' airline of choice we are happy to transport your first set of skis/snowboard and boots free of charge in addition to your standard free baggage allowance. Your standard free baggage allowance per person is 1 piece of max. 23kg in Economy Class* and 2 pieces of max. 32kg in Business Class."

https://www.swiss.com/unitedkingdom/EN/swiss-the-skiers-airline-lon?utm_medium=display&utm_source=dfa&utm_campaign=lx_gb_en_sales-h12017&utm_term=mindshare&dclid=CMS4hI3H_tcCFZanGwodHC4LKQ

my question is, do you need to pre book this in any way with Swiss or just rock up with your 23kg case & skis at check in?
ski holidays
@MountainIdiot, just rock up
snow report
@MountainIdiot, I fly regularly with SWISS (not Swiss Air or Swissair; they went bust years ago Very Happy ) and just turn up with my skis and boots etc. Never had any problem at Heathrow, Zurich or Geneva. One of my favourite airlines, as a result!
ski holidays
@LOTA, you just turn up because that's how it works on Swiss.
latest report
Swiss[whatever they are called now] to Zurich is one of my favourite routes. The exact opposite of the other thread on the go ATM. SwixXXX to Basel/Mullhouse can get a bit interesting though, especially if you fly back on a Fraiday evening.
snow report
@holidayloverxx, That's what I said! Very Happy
ski holidays
@LOTA, It was that you said you never had a problem...that suggested you were doing something that might cause a problem but it never had.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy