Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice for Banff and Lake Louise this weekend

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'll have a couple of free days in Banff this weekend! Quite keen to spend them skiing.... Any advice on how conditions are at the moment, and where I should head? Probably looking to ski mostly on groomed runs, but otherwise completely flexible.

It looks like the top options are Sunshine Village and Lake Louise. Any preferences? Where would be good areas to head for in each of them?

I guess I'll head out pretty early to maximise the time on the mountain before it gets too slushy (I presume that's how it is later in the day at this time of year? would be delighted to discover otherwise...)

It appears that in both cases I find my way to the main base village, either by car or by shuttle bus, and then there's a ski rental place pretty close by the slopes. Anything a first-time visitor needs to know...?!

thanks in advance for any info or tips!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's been a low snowpack year but there's still plenty of skiing to be had. Personally I'd look to be renting skis in Banff and keeping them for the weekend. More choice and less phaff each day. Can't recommend anywhere personally.

Plan for a day at each. Personally I'd go to Louise on which ever day looks sunnier (currently Sunday) because Louise in flat light sucks. Take the gondola from the base, down ptarmigan, head over to larch for some groomers then paradise to summit down to paradise, up again, down Rich's then up ptarmigan - meadow to the lodge. Glacier to top of the world, head left and head for men's DH now it's probably softened.
The best food is temple lodge. There's a ski race happening (sweajnr is in it) so the base might be chaotic at times.

Sunshine. Goats eye has the best vertical with lots of cruisy blues / blacks. The Southside chutes are barely double black... Worth a look. Angel to Divide has some runs. Ecstasy skiers right close to teepee town is a personal favorite. Standish has some short steep pitches. Avoid wawa lift it's slow and the runs aren't great.
The best coffee is on the base of the hotel. Most of Sunshines food offerings aren't great.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lake Louise any day over sunshine. Loads of trees at LL so even on bad vis days uou can see. No trees really at sunshine. Ive done 2 season in Banff and spent 80% o my time at LL. Its just way better on every everything.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You’ll have great day at either! Maybe one at each? Sunshine is the worst in flat light or snow because most runs above the trees

I’m just back and snow conditions were good in both - and I believe they’ve had a bit more since
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I guess I spend more time at Sunshine so I find it okay in flat light compared to Louise Very Happy

At Sunshine Goats eye gets more busy later in the day as most people seem to do it on their way out. So my preference is to do it first thing just from a crowds perspective.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you don't know the areas - then try going out with snow hosts (Sunshine) / ski friends (LL). They're locals that do free ski hosting around the hills - there are different groups for whatever level you like - and they're allowed to ski all the terrain apart from the double blacks ... and if they really like you, then you may get invited out on their days off to ski the double blacks with them Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
They usually start at 10:00 & around 13:00 from around the base areas
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wondering if the OP would provide an update on what they did and how it went?

I was at Louise all weekend and the snow in Saturday stayed surprisingly good for until about 2pm with a bit of slush at the base. The views on Sunday were spectacular although it went from concrete to slush a little faster.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy