Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hinterglemm and Saalbach tips and advice!!

Poster: A snowHead
what are some tips and advice I can take note of for my January trip?? I have seen snow GoKarts on youtube but cant find the link on google
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't use the Snowacademy Skischule near the main road, it's sh*t.

Also, at that time of the year it'll be heavy with Russian holiday makers.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is a long and informative thread about Saalbach Hinterglemm about three pages from here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=132803

@Tatmantours does an informative leaflet i believe. Doubtless he will be along soon....

With an avatar like Newski you could be one of em Russians
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
marodo2712 wrote:
Don't use the Snowacademy Skischule near the main road, it's sh*t.

Also, at that time of the year it'll be heavy with Russian holiday makers.

appreciate it!! what Skischule do you recommend? I'm there on the 5th, is this the Russian holidays?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, the 5th is the Russian holidays.

I couldn't recommend another school as that was the only one i used.

They used a tiny slope right next to the valley road, which was covered in ice. There was no magic carpet etc, so we had to side step up the slope each time. My partner got such bad bruises on her legs from constantly sidestepping in ski boots that she had to quit after day one and spend the rest of the holiday in the apartment, she swears she'll never ski again.

I didn't have a great time either, only just being able to ski short blues by the end. A few people dropped out through the week forcing them to combine ever shrinking groups. I've had lessons since then and haven't experienced such bad organisation.

As for my four year old at the time twins, they got dropped off at the appropriate part of the school each morning and picked up each afternoon. On the final day they where put in skis and pushed down the icy knoll, Matt went down sideways and both crashed at the bottom. The kids are now 8.5 and tell me that they never actually received lessons or went up the mountain, but just sat with a young nanny all day in a tent and ate nothing but chicken nuggets and chips (they loved it and can't wait to go again!).

Having said all that, I'd go back to Saalbach now that I 'can ski'.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
marodo2712 wrote:
Yes, the 5th is the Russian holidays.

I couldn't recommend another school as that was the only one i used.

They used a tiny slope right next to the valley road, which was covered in ice. There was no magic carpet etc, so we had to side step up the slope each time. My partner got such bad bruises on her legs from constantly sidestepping in ski boots that she had to quit after day one and spend the rest of the holiday in the apartment, she swears she'll never ski again.

I didn't have a great time either, only just being able to ski short blues by the end. A few people dropped out through the week forcing them to combine ever shrinking groups. I've had lessons since then and haven't experienced such bad organisation.

As for my four year old at the time twins, they got dropped off at the appropriate part of the school each morning and picked up each afternoon. On the final day they where put in skis and pushed down the icy knoll, Matt went down sideways and both crashed at the bottom. The kids are now 8.5 and tell me that they never actually received lessons or went up the mountain, but just sat with a young nanny all day in a tent and ate nothing but chicken nuggets and chips (they loved it and can't wait to go again!).

Having said all that, I'd go back to Saalbach now that I 'can ski'.

can I expect it to be flooded with Russians then? I have read that Russians dont tend to go to Saalbach and Hinterglemm..
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I wouldn't say it was flooded with them, there were plenty there when were there, and i was told it was something to do with a Russian holiday.

They were all very glamorous!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also, at the top of the main avenue there were one or two lap dancing establishments, though my bitter half was having none of it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@NewSki, Snow and Fun were good for lessons when we used them.

There might not be as many Russians, there haven’t been as many in the Alps the last couple of years.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sitting in the Hecherhuette (arguably the Ski Circus’s best mountain restaurant) reading this so may respond at greater length later.
If you don’t like the sound of Snow Academy for group lessons, go to Furstauer.
For private lessons go to Zink Ski & Snowboarding School.
The only time I’ve noticed any Russians has been during their Xmas holiday week in early January, but in the last couple of years the numbers have decreased substantially (to the point where I have hardly noticed any).
My guide to S-H-L-F is fairly comprehensive and I try to keep it up to date. Message me if you’d like a copy.
For masses of information search for and read the annual “Official/Unofficial Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang-Fieberbrunn Thread”, which we start anew each autumn.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For equipment go to Hansi Oppeneiger of "Hansi's Best-Price", next door but one to Bobby's Pub at the very bottom of the main village street (the Dorfstrasse). Hansi's equipment is renewed each season, and being his own boss, he is very eager to please. He also has a bar in his shop and will welcome you with a schnapps or two. Mention that I recommended you to go to him, and he will give the extra special "Tatman discount".

Quote:

at the top of the main avenue there were one or two lap dancing establishments

For lap-dancing we recommend the Schwips Bar, which is down the stairs under Berger's Sport Hotel. The only one at the top of the Dorfstrasse is the Why Not (next to Hotel Kendler), which may also be worth a visit. Mrs TT has dragged me into both (but only once - we don't generally favour these establishments with our custom, although many a single male skier of our acquaintance has found the staff very friendly and has missed the following day's skiing), and we found them good fun.

On the subject of bars, the up and coming one to watch next season is the Crazy Deer, which is now under the management of the famous "Wolfy", who used to manage Bobby's Pub. It is expected that he will be doing his utmost to rival Bobby's (live televised rugby, decent music, vibrant atmosphere, etc.)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Best run: piste 68 to Viehhofen (blue, 7km long)
Best mountain restaurant: the Hecherhuette (on piste 68 )
Best gulasch soup and steaks: the Hecherhuette
Best grilled chicken: the Hendl Fischerei (Leogang)
Best Apfelstrudel: the Hecherhuette
Best home-made Germknodels: the Gerstreitalm
Best apres-ski bar (up the mountain): the Bergeralm (Happy Hour 3.30-4.30pm, great food, party atmosphere)
Best apres-ski party venue: the Hinterhag Alm (bottom of piste 52)
Best village apres-ski bar (Saalbach): Spitzbub, or Burgi's
Best late-night village bars (Saalbach): Underbar, Bobby's Crazy Deer, Otzi Bar
Best nightclubs (Saalbach): Castellos, Taverne, Kuhstall
Best pizzas (mountain): the Alte Schmiede
Best pizzas (Saalbach): the Alpzell
Best restaurant (Saalbach) the Schattberg Stub'n, Del Rossi, Kohlmais Stub'n, Baeckstaettstall
Best restaurant (Hinterglemm): the Heurigenstube
Best restaurant (Viehhofen): the Tiroler Buam
Best Tommy Cooper-like magic show: Hotel Peter every Friday
Best mountain restaurant toilet: the Asitz Braeu (Leogang)
Best black run: Piste 1, Piste 14 (recently regraded red with black options)
Best red run: Westgipfel run from Schattberg to Hinterglemm
Best blue run (after piste 68 ): piste 92/93 - the Steinberg run at Leogang

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 10-08-18 17:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@tatmanstours,

I never got to Hinterglem, it looks pretty on the internet with pistes coming from every direction. Would you recommend lodging in Saalbach or in Hinterglem?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@marodo2712, That's controversial, as both villages have their fans. You would enjoy either, as you would be skiing the same area. More important than choice of village is the location of one's accommodation - ski-in ski-out is obviously immensely preferable to having to walk uphill to lifts or catch buses or taxis.

I greatly prefer being located in Saalbach, although clearly I'm biased as I have apartments there. However various friends and relations have stayed in both villages (as well as Zell am See), and they have established a preference for Saalbach. (When they've stayed in Hinterglemm, they have spent more time travelling over to Saalbach for the skiing, the apres, and the restaurants and bars than vice versa). Hinterglemm does however have good nursery slopes, as well as the night skiing (which might be a reason for staying in that village if it's important to you and you plan to do it more than a couple of times in a week).

My highly subjective reasons for preferring Saalbach are:
1. I think that the village centre is more attractive.
2. It's more compact - I find Hinterglemm strung out with more walking involved (and less easy access to ski buses).
3. Strategically it's centrally-placed in the ski area and lends itself better to itineraries in all directions
4. I prefer the final runs down at the end of the day - especially pistes 51, 52 and 46.
5. It has quick and easy access to some of the best skiing at Leogang and piste 68 to Viehhofen.
6. I like better the end of day hostelries and meeting places - especially the Bergeralm, the Westernstadl, the Spitzbub and the Hinterhag Alm.
7. For me, as an apres-ski venue, the Hinterhag Alm easily beats the Goassstall, the Schwarzacher, Tanzhimmel and the Hexenhausl
8. For me it has the better restaurants and late evening bars.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not sure I agree with all of @tatmanstours list. Still down to individual preferances. But a great ski area, with a wealth of terrain, resturants, in fact too many to list.

For good measure here is the view from the Asitz Brau that only gentlemen can enjoy.

ski holidays
Nice one @Bob, (What appeals most to my childish/warped sense of humour is to take a group down the piste outside that window and get the girls to wave to the men in mid-flow.)
latest report
tatmanstours wrote:
Nice one @Bob, (What appeals most to my childish/warped sense of humour is to take a group down the piste outside that window and get the girls to wave to the men in mid-flow.)

The challenge is to get them to wave back - with both hands Laughing

Saalbach is a cracking resort in every way - and the already excellent lift system is getting even better.
ski holidays
@NewSki, since you’re basing yourselves in Hinterglemm, always worth going to Schwarzacherhof for some apres. Right at the foot of the slopes/night skiing/fun park, so you can have some rocking apres whilst the kids do lap after lap on the runs 🍻. You’ll also find some tubing there too which is good fun (all free)
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, thanks!
snow conditions
how easy are the runs to navigate in Saalbach and in Hinterglemm? with it being such a big area I don't want to miss any of them!!
snow report
tatmanstours wrote:
@marodo2712, That's controversial, as both villages have their fans. You would enjoy either, as you would be skiing the same area. More important than choice of village is the location of one's accommodation - ski-in ski-out is obviously immensely preferable to having to walk uphill to lifts or catch buses or taxis.

I greatly prefer being located in Saalbach, although clearly I'm biased as I have apartments there. However various friends and relations have stayed in both villages (as well as Zell am See), and they have established a preference for Saalbach. (When they've stayed in Hinterglemm, they have spent more time travelling over to Saalbach for the skiing, the apres, and the restaurants and bars than vice versa). Hinterglemm does however have good nursery slopes, as well as the night skiing (which might be a reason for staying in that village if it's important to you and you plan to do it more than a couple of times in a week).

My highly subjective reasons for preferring Saalbach are:
1. I think that the village centre is more attractive.
2. It's more compact - I find Hinterglemm strung out with more walking involved (and less easy access to ski buses).
3. Strategically it's centrally-placed in the ski area and lends itself better to itineraries in all directions
4. I prefer the final runs down at the end of the day - especially pistes 51, 52 and 46.
5. It has quick and easy access to some of the best skiing at Leogang and piste 68 to Viehhofen.
6. I like better the end of day hostelries and meeting places - especially the Bergeralm, the Westernstadl, the Spitzbub and the Hinterhag Alm.
7. For me, as an apres-ski venue, the Hinterhag Alm easily beats the Goassstall, the Schwarzacher, Tanzhimmel and the Hexenhausl
8. For me it has the better restaurants and late evening bars.

how should I spend my time between Saalbach, Hinterglemm, Leogang and Fieberbrunn. A day spent in each?
snow conditions
tatmanstours wrote:
Best gulasch soup and steaks: the Hecherhuette
Best grilled chicken: the Hendl Fischerei (Leogang)
Best Apfelstrudel: the Hecherhuette
Best home-made Germknodels: the Gerstreitalm
Best apres-ski bar (up the mountain): the Bergeralm (Happy Hour 3.30-4.30pm, great food, party atmosphere)
Best apres-ski party venue: the Hinterhag Alm (bottom of piste 52)
Best village apres-ski bar (Saalbach): Spitzbub, or Burgi's
Best late-night village bars (Saalbach): Underbar, Bobby's Crazy Deer, Otzi Bar
Best nightclubs (Saalbach): Castellos, Taverne, Kuhstall
Best pizzas (mountain): the Alte Schmiede
Best pizzas (Saalbach): the Alpzell
Best restaurant (Saalbach) the Schattberg Stub'n, Del Rossi, Kohlmais Stub'n, Baeckstaettstall
Best restaurant (Hinterglemm): the Heurigenstube
Best restaurant (Viehhofen): the Tiroler Buam
Best Tommy Cooper-like magic show: Hotel Peter every Friday
Best mountain restaurant toilet: the Asitz Braeu (Leogang)
Best black run: Piste 1, Piste 14 (recently regraded red with black options)
Best red run: Westgipfel run from Schattberg to Hinterglemm
Best blue run (after piste 68 ): piste 92/93 - the Steinberg run at Leogang

I hate to pick you up, Herr Tatman, but the Tiroler Buam is in Vorderglemm not Viehhofen!

Thank you, though, as you gave me an excuse to join this thread and endorse your rating of the Tiroler Buam - truly excellent bar and restaurant! Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

I hate to pick you up, Herr Tatman, but the Tiroler Buam is in Vorderglemm not Viehhofen!

@LOTA, Just testing to see who is taking notice of my verbal, or rather written, diarrhoea wink Actually my "excuse" is that, when we've visited the Tilroler Buam, we've been with a friend who lives just down the road in Viehhofen.
snow report
Quote:

how easy are the runs to navigate in Saalbach and in Hinterglemm? with it being such a big area I don't want to miss any of them!!

Quote:

how should I spend my time between Saalbach, Hinterglemm, Leogang and Fieberbrunn. A day spent in each?

The area is essentially a 270km network of cruisy intermediate skiing, with a few blacks dotted here and there. The blue/red runs are much of a muchness; the only ones that merit a specific mention are:
Piste 14 (red) - used to be a black, but has now been regraded as there are easy by-pass sections that take you round the steepest bits. Probably relatively challenging for a red but worth doing, and a confident intermediate wil enjoy it.
Piste F14 - takes you down to the bottom of the TirolS gondola and is definitely borderline black, especially when icy. However don't be put off - it's a satisfying run for an eager intermediate.
Piste 2b (blue) - in mild conditions can get pretty horrible in the afternoon - long, gruelling, chopped-up and mogully. However, only by taking on such runs can you improve wink .
Piste F10 (red) - timid intermediates will find it steeper than they would like.
Pistes F1c and F8 (reds) - glorious runs and more like blues (probably would be graded blue in Saalbach).
Piste 68 (blue) - our favourite run, 7km long and loved by everyone. Well worth doing even though you need the ski bus from the bottom (every 20 mins - 10 to, 10 past, and half past the hour). The bus ride back to the Schoenleitenbahn takes about 10 mins. The Hecherhuette restaurant about two-thirds of the way down is one of our favourites - best steaks and gulasch soup and jagatee in the valley!

With regard to your second question, the area lends itself to planning long itineraries, much as you do in the big French interlinked areas (3Vs, PDS). So one day you might decide to ski over to Leogang and have lunch at one of the superb restaurants over there - the Hendl Fischerei (Chicken Man), Alte Schmiede, Asitzbraeu, or Forsthofalm. Another day you might want to explore Fieberbrunn. Another day you might undertake the complete anti-clockwise circuit of the Glemm valley, which can be done entirely on blue runs and takes a competent skier about 3 hours, not including drink and lunch stops.

Whenever you're in the main Glemm valley (not Leogang or Fieberbrunn) you can ski down to the bottom and jump on a ski bus if you feel you've had enough or are running out of time to get the lift connections before they close at 4.00-4.15pm.

I've worked out a few suggested itineraries and would be happy to email them to anyone who may be interested.
snow report
"However, only by taking on such runs can you improve"

In my head, this was in a Chinese accent, whispered by an old man with a long wispy moustache.
snow report
@NickYoung, I actually borrowed it from Confucious wink
ski holidays
NewSki wrote:

When skiing we've always stayed in Hinterglemm. If skiing to Fieberbrunn or Leogang we've tended to head directly there and then do all the runs in that area before lunch. After lunch we've started to head back towards Hinterglemm but skied back on the opposite side of the valley - in effect completing a circuit. It actually doesn't take very long to get to Fieberbrunn or Leogang so there tends not to be too much of a rush.

There's a Ski Circus challenge route where you ski all areas in one day. We had fun doing it.
snow report
@tatmanstours, you love 2b really
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kb36, It has been known, but usually only when I’m focused on getting to the Bergeralm for happy hour 😉🤪
snow report
tatmanstours wrote:

Best gulasch soup: the Hecherhuette

Tatman is a total guru when it comes to the area, there is nothing the man doesn't know! Meet up with him, spend a day with him and he will help you get your head around some of the best itineraries!

If I had to take a cheeky punt at refining his recommendations, then this would be it.

Piste 68 - just wow. It'll make you a better skier. It's an absolute gift of a slope that is guaranteed to make you grin from ear to ear. If it's open, hit it every day if you can. Twice a day if you can!

The Hecherhuette - On piste 68. Staff are amazing. The view is amazing. The gulasch soup is unreal. Eat it every day!!

The Bergeralm - Get there for 3:30 - 2'4'1 on all drinks - load the table up and make friends with everyone. Dancing, singing, conga lines... the atmosphere is electric and the staff are great. You absolutely have to try the "Bauern Tequila"!! We loved it and it turned into our late afternoon snack by the end of the week, but equally, I've seen it make grown men vomit or cry! Laughing

Once you've finished your drinks get ready for the best bit. Suit up, boot up, skis ready and wait for the first piste bully to come past. Then ski by moonlight right back into resort on freshly groomed pistes Smile)
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, hi, thanks for your PM. I’ve been trying to reply but think there may be a technical glitch.

Will respond ASAP and thanks again.

snowHead
ski holidays
@letsgetpiste, You're too kind Embarassed Blush , but thank you for that testimonial!

So glad that you "get" what makes Saalbach our favourite place to ski. Your highly eloquent descriptions have made us look forward even more eagerly to doing it again next winter. Also looking forward to getting some exercise after attending the Hecherhuette weekly "all-you-can-eat" (including unlimited quantities of fillet steak) barbecues all through the summer.

Here is an article that might interest you, and any other fans of piste 68: http://welove2ski.com/ski-runs-austria-unknown
snow conditions
@PeakyB, If you have any further problems, my website is below, and it includes contact info.
ski holidays
Hinterglemm is better than Saalbach.
ski holidays
@Whitegold, the age-old conundrum. Some people on here agree with you, some think there are pros and cons and little to pick and choose, and most of my acquaintance think the opposite. Vive la difference!
snow conditions
@NewSki, Hi I'll be in SH 5th to 19th January - This'll be my 14th year. I've always used Furstauer for Ski school (even when I've been staying in Hinterglemm). However, their main instructor, Reini Woisi, is stating his own school in Hinterglemm this season - check out www.skill.at
snow report
I'm here now in hinterglemm and cannot find the ski schools mentioned!
snow conditions
tatmanstours wrote:
For equipment go to Hansi Oppeneiger of "Hansi's Best-Price", next door but one to Bobby's Pub at the very bottom of the main village street (the Dorfstrasse). Hansi's equipment is renewed each season, and being his own boss, he is very eager to please. He also has a bar in his shop and will welcome you with a schnapps or two. Mention that I recommended you to go to him, and he will give the extra special "Tatman discount".

Quote:

at the top of the main avenue there were one or two lap dancing establishments

For lap-dancing we recommend the Schwips Bar, which is down the stairs under Berger's Sport Hotel. The only one at the top of the Dorfstrasse is the Why Not (next to Hotel Kendler), which may also be worth a visit. Mrs TT has dragged me into both (but only once - we don't generally favour these establishments with our custom, although many a single male skier of our acquaintance has found the staff very friendly and has missed the following day's skiing), and we found them good fun.

On the subject of bars, the up and coming one to watch next season is the Crazy Deer, which is now under the management of the famous "Wolfy", who used to manage Bobby's Pub. It is expected that he will be doing his utmost to rival Bobby's (live televised rugby, decent music, vibrant atmosphere, etc.)

Did they get more than they bargained for at the strip club? NehNeh
ski holidays
@NewSki, Im not surprised what with the amount of snowfall and the time being 5.am of your post plus you are in the wrong village, and before any transport will be running even if they get the road cleared/secured , but I sit here uk in envy of your choice of weeks as could well be awesome once everything gets back on track , cheers
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy