Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski fitness or exercise program

Poster: A snowHead
skimottaret wrote:
Fred Lepine has released two more fitness videos, these utilise typical gym equipment and are excellent in addition to his bodyweight workouts

http://youtube.com/v/oZEPISxrSmw&t=66s

http://youtube.com/v/xULGC9-ZM-E&t=25s

Excellent too. Thanks again.

BTW the links to these videos on your web page are down Sad

http://www.insideoutskiing.com/info/fitness.html
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Since this thread is back up I'd like to say thanks to @bar shaker and @Chamcham for their rowing machine recommendations. I bought one that week and I'm now officially a 10 stone weakling again! But seriously, apart from a bit of weight loss, at 60 I have springy legs and the stiff back is just about gone plus there are all the cardio benefits.

Never used any gym kit before but enjoying this.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mike Pow, thanks for letting me know, not sure what happened there but hopefully links back up again....

Feeling shamed as to not doing more of Fred's excellent workouts Sad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

https://foreverfitscience.com/leg-blasters/

I've been doing these for a while now. I decided that the 'don't try to do full sets right away' was only for soft people, not seasoned athletes like myself Laughing . I've played a lot of sport in my life to a decent standard and I'm no stranger to a good hiding. I can honestly say that I have never felt muscle pain like it. 10/10
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BoardieK, I'm glad to hear it. It's the best bit of gym kit I've owned, and the only one I'm still using regularly Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Quote:

I've been doing these for a while now. I decided that the 'don't try to do full sets right away' was only for soft people, not seasoned athletes like myself . I've played a lot of sport in my life to a decent standard and I'm no stranger to a good hiding. I can honestly say that I have never felt muscle pain like it. 10/10

They're great, I do HIIT 5 times a week and always work extra hard on legs especially in the Autumn with skiing in mind, the leg blasters are a regular occurrence in my programme. Whilst I've always kept in shape it made a huge difference to my skiing and enjoyment of, when I started doing specific training.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mike Pow, @skimottaret, I'm too old to do those 31 exercises.....

Not that I'm too unfit.......

Just that I could not remember them all at my age Laughing

The ones at 14 and 15 I'd just be a mess.

I just stick to endurance via cycling and running along with some yoga / stretching, though currently have an annoying hip / groin strain, that's not getting better, but there again I never really rest my body.

Have started running again, and calf muscle is painful on the flat but fine when climbing and descending which is 90% of the running out here.

I'm also getting better at letting it go / not holding back running down steeper inclines and you can really feel that in the quads, you can almost gallop down which is sort of similar to a couple of exercise in the vid.

Four weeks time I'm back ski touring and even though I'm the oldest I know I should be one of the fittest, hopefully, well at least on the up for a couple of hours!

And that's important as I'll not be too knackered for the down.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 18-10-18 15:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Last year I did loads of HIIT and tbph my body seemed to get used to it, 3-4 classes a week, I didnt see much improvement after initial boost. Also my knees started feeling it. Now i'm mountain biking much more and feel much fitter on the climbs, albeit need to lose a bit round my middle, sit ups, trunk twists and oblique mountain climbers, plus lunges and squats, all doable at home starts Monday (big weekend on the mountainbikes and beer/ pub food first in Yorkshire Dales). I hate running, I know its cheap and the roads are free but it's not me, when the nights close in its big lights for my mtb or spin bike in garage if superbad weather.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Crossfit sorts me out every time! Three hours a week and you feel invisible Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This is the time of year I start to regret Sunday BBQ's and Friday afternoons in the beer garden. Because we've done a lot of work on the house my road cycling hasn't been as full on as usual however I've started running again and stupidly entered a marathon in April so hopefully the fact I've spent £55 on that (as well as the embarrassment of not completing it) should spur me on to lose a bit of lard in time for Feb.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BoardieK, They are seriously good machines for getting ski fit.

I'm now doing at least one 10k row in heart rate zone 2 each week, as well as HIIT sessions and a 'flat out' 5k (still can't quite break 20 minutes!). The zone 2 workout is not only pure fat burning, but it also gives much better mitochondria density and trains your muscles to process fuel much more efficiently.

As you have found, the benefits for posture, back muscles and overall cardio fitness are all very welcome.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
+1 for rowing machines! I'm always surprised they don't get more interest for skiing, as it works your legs and cardio so excellently, and agree about back strength, if your technique is ok.

Things like low stroke rate session (<20) also provide a good mix up.

You do have to be careful about technique though - the Concept2 website has very good, free, technique section and also work out suggestions.

I bought my machine (Concept2, the standard gym model, and for "proper" rowers too) for ~£532 second hand in 2013, it was 4 years old, model D. That is obviously quite a lot of cash, but also show the resale market is pretty strong. Done a few million meters on it since then, plus a few from my wife, with no real issues. Can't be bothered to check for sure, but I think I'd get a couple of hundred pounds on resale even now, and mechanically is rock solid - so actually I think I'll keep until it falls apart.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@motdoc,
Quote:

Crossfit sorts me out every time! Three hours a week and you feel invisible

Wow! Very Happy I need to try that!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Since I've started...

Any of the rowing enthusiasts tried the Pete Plan?

There are two on his website:

https://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/5k-training/

https://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/beginner-training/

The "beginner" training is actually quite good for anyone I think (I'm sure plenty of real hardcore rowers would disagree, and there are plenty of those, hitting <7min on 2k etc, which I'm certainly not).

His plan starts at 5k, and then ups by 500m each week to 12k, with the aim to keep the same split on all the longer distances, plus some light technique tips.

I would suggest if you were going from scratch, you might want to do a couple of months general rowing before starting his beginner plan
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I feel tired just reading what everyone else does for fitness!

@Markymark29, I agree with you about running - I wouldn't run for a bus. I do a little bit of cycling & walking carrying weight, the idea being that I don't have to be out so long if I make it harder as I find fitness training so desperately boring. I was happy with my fitness at SOPiB18 and mostly just try to stop my trousers shrinking in the cupboard - a nasty and expensive habit wink
latest report
mcloke wrote:
+1 for rowing machines! I'm always surprised they don't get more interest for skiing, as it works your legs and cardio so excellently, and agree about back strength, if your technique is ok.... I bought my machine (Concept2, the standard gym model ... actually I think I'll keep until it falls apart.

I've had mine for... over 20 years, maybe 30. It's helped keep me fit when I've had to work. It's still as pretty and as functional as the day it arrived (new).
In home use, it's going to take a lot of rowing to break one of these.
The price seems cheap for something which will actually last a lifetime - I can't think of any other machine which I'd expect to do that.

--
On the original post... I just use a bit of Ibuprofen for the first 3 days of a season and then everything's good.

I'm not impressed with the idea of "ski specific" exercises, and not only because I'm a boarder.
Stuff which is supposed to be that specific sounds like a bad idea, and in any case downhill skiing/snowboarding is all technique.
ski holidays
Quote:

Stuff which is supposed to be that specific sounds like a bad idea, and in any case downhill skiing/snowboarding is all technique.

You heard it hear first folks.. rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
@mcloke, thanks for the links, I like the 5K training one.

I bought my Concept2 Model D new in July. The best price was at Decathlon for £850. I was looking on ebay but any with the PM5 computer were within a £150 of a brand new machine. This display lets you add your iPhone for more data fields and syncing with Training Peaks, Strava and your Concept Log Book. Very useful for tracking your improvements.

It was the price of these on eBay that made me get one. If I hadn't liked rowing (I love it), I knew I would be able to sell for almost the new price. I've now got a TV on the wall in gym and can watch TV/video or just blast some music, so an hour of rowing feels like minutes.
ski holidays
tried those Fred Lapine exercises in the gym this morning ...at least the first video ...I got a real dab on ..they take some mastering..make a change though
latest report
DaveD wrote:
tried those Fred Lapine exercises in the gym this morning ...at least the first video ...I got a real dab on ..they take some mastering..make a change though

I tried the first set a few times too, they really work many of the stabilising muscles in the legs and core. Had a look at the second set, a few exercises from the second set are very similar to the first set. Got me thinking, is the second set an advanced set to replace the first second or just an alternative? Am thinking of making a program from both sets but where exercises from each set are very similar then omitting one of the exercises.
snow conditions
Quote:

I tried the first set a few times too, they really work many of the stabilising muscles in the legs and core. Had a look at the second set, a few exercises from the second set are very similar to the first set. Got me thinking, is the second set an advanced set to replace the first second or just an alternative? Am thinking of making a program from both sets but where exercises from each set are very similar then omitting one of the exercises.

I found the same too ..I am adding a few of them to my regular programme ...mix and match
snow conditions
Had the great feeling yesterday that you get, having improved enough to add another set to your leg-blasters.

Had the horrible feeling getting out of bed this morning, that you get because you added another set yesterday.

I might actually be half fit this season.
latest report
I’ve consulted a few professionals on what a recreational skier should do to prepare them for a few weeks on the slopes.

I was advised that isometric and single legged exercises were best, these could consist of the;

Bulgarian split squats
Lunges
Box squats
And single legged leg press, extension and curls.

I’ve also learned that the majority of fitness individuals don’t look after their hamstrings.

I personally think a lot of people would benefit from proper stretches and stretching prior to when they are away. I’d suspect that a lot of skiers have tight hip flexors and hamstrings / lower back which puts a huge strain on their quads when skiing
ski holidays
I was out at my place last weekend and had two long days on the hill, due to perfect weather.

My rowing and riding has paid off well and I felt the fittest I've ever felt. Saturday I boarded and Sunday I skied, both for nearly 7 hours, with barely a coffee stop. It's paying off!
ski holidays
DanFuller wrote:
I’ve consulted a few professionals on what a recreational skier should do to prepare them for a few weeks on the slopes.

I was advised that isometric and single legged exercises were best, these could consist of the;

Bulgarian split squats
Lunges
Box squats

I’ve also learned that the majority of fitness individuals don’t look after their hamstrings.

I personally think a lot of people would benefit from proper stretches and stretching prior to when they are away. I’d suspect that a lot of skiers have tight hip flexors and hamstrings / lower back which puts a huge strain on their quads when skiing

I totally agree.

Lunges and squats are much better for skiing....as they concentrate of the concentric phase.

There should be the correct strength ratio between your Quads and your H/Strings.

The Triggerpoint Roller should become your friend....as well as a Tennis Ball, for working on those tight areas - Calves/Shins/Gluts/Quads/H-Strings/Iliopsoas/H-Flexors/QLs/IT Band/Erector Spinae etc all need worked on.

Pilates style core work also greatly helps....as well as balance exercises on a BOSU/Swiss Ball.
ski holidays
My training regime seems to be working for me too.
I was snow-shoeing for over 9 hours on Wednesday. Altitude between 850m and 2000m, approx. 6000 cals burned. My snow shoeing partner burnt over 7000 cals.
Slight soreness of the legs yesterday but although the second day after serious exercise is usually when the muscles hurt most, the legs feel a lot better today.

ski holidays
DB wrote:
My training regime seems to be working for me too.
I was snow-shoeing for over 9 hours on Wednesday. Altitude between 850m and 2000m, approx. 6000 cals burned. My snow shoeing partner burnt over 7000 cals.
Slight soreness of the legs yesterday but although the second day after serious exercise is usually when the muscles hurt most, the legs feel a lot better today.

Great photo. That's a serious workout!
ski holidays
Theres quite a few on youtube to choose from
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="Old Fartbag"
I totally agree.

Lunges and squats are much better for skiing....as they concentrate of the concentric phase.

There should be the correct strength ratio between your Quads and your H/Strings.

The Triggerpoint Roller should become your friend....as well as a Tennis Ball, for working on those tight areas - Calves/Shins/Gluts/Quads/H-Strings/Iliopsoas/H-Flexors/QLs/IT Band/Erector Spinae etc all need worked on.

Pilates style core work also greatly helps....as well as balance exercises on a BOSU/Swiss Ball.[/quote]

I agree ..the BOSU is great
My most useful massage tool is this..It gets to places that you cant reach ..I have a torn Rotator cuff ..but be warn those little spikes can be painful on naked flesh Evil or Very Mad
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wooden-4-Wheels-Wood-Roller-Hand-Held-Back-Belly-Body-Relax-Spa-Massager-New/263174078876?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
snow conditions
Old Fartbag wrote:
DanFuller wrote:

Bulgarian split squats
Lunges
Box squats

I totally agree.

Pilates style core work also greatly helps....as well as balance exercises on a BOSU/Swiss Ball.

From working on my shin flexibility(foot raised on a small step) and worked up and down it’s incredible how much better I can get in the correct stance.
latest report
DaveD wrote:

My most useful massage tool is this..It gets to places that you cant reach ..I have a torn Rotator cuff ..but be warn those little spikes can be painful on naked flesh Evil or Very Mad
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wooden-4-Wheels-Wood-Roller-Hand-Held-Back-Belly-Body-Relax-Spa-Massager-New/263174078876?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Blimey....that's like something out of the Spanish Inquisition. Toofy Grin
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:

Blimey....that's like something out of the Spanish Inquisition. Toofy Grin

It works though lol I can DEFINITELY recommend one .
ski holidays
Gämsbock wrote:

Just tries this today for the first time. Warmed up on the bike, used the big plyo box for two sets of slow step ups, two sets of wall squat, some calf work, then three sets of the blaster. It feels ok while you're doing it, but the inability to walk properly afterwards indicates that it must be doing some good.

Messed it up a bit though and did 20 jump squats in the first set - not very clever.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy