Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Seasonnaire stereotypes

Poster: A snowHead
Just so the superior types don't feel left out. Same rules apply

The keen bean - Skiing is my job dontchaknow. I get out every day first to last. A bad day on the mountain is better than your best day in teh office. Annoyingly doesn't need to work as has banked enough from the despised office job to see him through winter.

The "working from home" - does some indeterminate job in IT which seems to consist of a lot of weed smoking and hangovers enlivened by trips up the mountain.

The organised chalet bitch - Gets it done gets out, gets home gets the cake. Secretly hated by all other resort staff.

The "day offfer" - Took teh job imagining all the free skiing they would do in their free time. Has yet to see beyond their duvet on day off.

The touring terry - doesn't hang out with the ordinary mugs on the hill - has got into touring with the locals and its so much better than what you're doing.

The "turns out I'm not really that into skiing" - Has watched a lot of netflix and can spot a suboptimal snow condition and reason to knock it on the head early at 500m
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The first-time mature host. Takes the company guidebook as gospel and dutifully performs every task listed to the best of their ability, although this requires working 90+ hours a week. Generally found ironing the chalet sheets in their apartment at 11pm and deep cleaning the oven at 6am on changeover day. Halfway through the season realise they have forgotton to actually go skiing. Get no tips because the guests think they are "living the dream".
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The "enjoy your holiday I live here mate" - first time season worker with the superpower of self-unawareness
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Gigolo** - Scottish, short, modest, gets girls* launching themselves at him as he’s “soooo cuuute and I looove that accent”

* Americans and Home Counties lasses

** In my dreams
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Never use the word " seasonaire"

You disrespect Skibums

Who have been in the industry for decades cleaning your s h i t .. u p

Seasonaire = Yuppy Money not welcome...go off to Marketing or whatever ..

SkiBum = .lives for Mountains
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yawn, it must be August
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@stanton, oh dear, even a nice sunny evening in the garden not enough to keep you from posting your verbal diarrhoea to the internet?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dave of the Marmottes, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The "Shags everything that moves" including (in no particular order)

most of the resorts guests
the chalet girls/boys
all the resort bar staff (often)
the pisteurs
the rich familys kids
the rich familys parents
the rich families staff
the rich families pet (well that night was sooooo crazy man)
the french ski school
the italian ski school (including same sex)
randoms on the end of season flight home Shocked

those were the days..... Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@dp,

Stay away from the mountains ..
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@andyman,

Sounds good..
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The "fit-bit-on-the-hunt" for some rich-kid in daddy's business, desperate to work in a De Luxe chalet in Courchy 1850 rather than Sauzie D.

Then there's the "saddo-somethings" who are "in-between" failing their A levels and the clearing house for next year's uni/poly. The 2 dimensional done-nothings who think they are owed a personality just by working a season in some soulless chalet.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Then there's the punters ...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The scruffy looking urchin who wears a daft hat or even a rasta hairdo. Somehow thinking that it makes them look unique/different/interesting.... or as most of us think - sad! Grow up!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hawkesbaynz wrote:
The scruffy looking urchin who wears a daft hat or even a rasta hairdo. Somehow thinking that it makes them look unique/different/interesting.... or as most of us think - sad! Grow up!

Ah the Cinquante Centime - His wearing of an oversized trucker hat or baggy beanie and jingle jangle jewellry along with his Jamaican accent shows us all his tough upbringing on the mean streets of the banlieu of Tunbridge Wells as Toby, son of a city lawyer.
ski holidays
Kenzie wrote:
Then there's the punters ...

There's a separate thread for that!

BTW, reet sunny t'day int' worfdale lad.
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes,
Quote:

his tough upbringing on the mean streets of the banlieu of Tunbridge Wells as Toby, son of a city lawyer.
Brilliant! Laughing Laughing
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes,
Quote:

his tough upbringing on the mean streets of the banlieu of Tunbridge Wells as Toby, son of a city lawyer.
Brilliant! Laughing Laughing

Actually 'the mean streets of Kingston

upon Thames'. Cool
snow report
The "i'm so not feeling it today man" (his words not mine), sat next to him and his mate late last season on chairlift in the sun, definite smell of weed and manky never been washed boarding gear, matted hair and chewing snuss......got to the top and he boarded straight across our skis and fell in a heap, out of his tree, clearly enjoying his day off!
Laughing
ski holidays
then there's the "lets spend the chalet day off getting over our hangovers and doing a bit of skiing/ boarding until we can find a loud bar and sit in the sun outside, getting smashed on Jager shots and then watch sun-down having a supermarket cheep booze-fest and then leave all our rubbish on the slopes" types...... Evil or Very Mad
latest report
And the vast majority of decent folks just trying to have a good season while being paid sod all and slaving for ungrateful wee wee takers Madeye-Smiley. Just sayin'. Never been one but most I have come across were really good. Yes, some had a few idiosyncracies but small inrelation to what they will do for you.
snow report
Quote:

Ah the Cinquante Centime - His wearing of an oversized trucker hat or baggy beanie and jingle jangle jewellry along with his Jamaican accent shows us all his tough upbringing on the mean streets of the banlieu of Tunbridge Wells as Toby, son of a city lawyer.

The last one of these I met had, in fact, attended Harrow. I don't think he'd have been seen dead in Tunbridge Wells.
ski holidays
stanton wrote:

Agreed. (And I speak as someone who once ran a 'ski workers' website without ever once using the word 'seasonaire' on it.)
snow conditions
iainm wrote:
stanton wrote:

Agreed. (And I speak as someone who once ran a 'ski workers' website without ever once using the word 'seasonaire' on it.)

Why? Is it like the N word only those who are can use it? Asked in pure ignorance
snow report
iainm wrote:
stanton wrote:

Yeah but you had the arrogance to call them "natives" wink

I'd be quite happy to use the term ski-bum but it does seem to me to have a slightly different connotation to seasonnaire (which itself is an Franglish word close but not quite to the original French). Something like if you are working you are quite likely to have gone as a package "employment" deal and if you aren't working you are of wealth slightly above bum level. Of course with ski-bum being used quasi-irionically who knows?

I would most closely associate it with the phrase "doing a season". So a ski-worker might be in it for the long term (and most Euro lifties etc seem to be rather more than one season wonders).

The Etymologist - the really boring guy in the bar who insists he isn't a seasonnaire but a grown-up ski-bum.

The "they're all just people maan" - the person who quashes fun stereotyping threads

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 31-07-18 11:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
isn't saisonaire just French for seasonal worker? if so, what is the problem (if we are talking about seasonal workers in France)?
ski holidays
Seasonal worker implies "work", as opposed to employment.
ski holidays
iainm wrote:
stanton wrote:

Interestingly Natives is where I first heard the term though wink

For me a ski bum is someone who's bumming a season ie not working
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I always figured seasonnaires were just people doing the season. I never saw it as having negative (or any other) connotations. Just a term for literally meaning - here for the season - as opposed to - here on holiday.
snow report
stevew wrote:
iainm wrote:
stanton wrote:

Why? Is it like the N word only those who are can use it? Asked in pure ignorance

What’s wrong with saying Nannies? They’re a type of seasonaire or saisonaire in their own right!
snow conditions
marcellus wrote:
stevew wrote:
iainm wrote:
stanton wrote:

What’s wrong with saying Nannies? They’re a type of seasonaire or saisonaire in their own right!

Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

Yeah me too.
snow conditions
jedster wrote:
Quote:

Yeah me too.

Given we're in this semantic diversion - I'd say a ski bum is someone who prioritising skiing over other things in life including for example regular jobs. This doesn't prevent them getting a job but they are more likely to seek jobs that do not clash too much with skiing hours e.g. dishpigging or overnight ski teching. It probably means "typical" UK TO workers are not really ski-bums
ski holidays
^^^^
What he said...
snow report
yeah - fair enough
snow conditions
How many ski bum snowHeads do we have?
ski holidays
@PeakyB, Loads, but they are all retired.
snow report
seasonnaire - i always felt this franglicism means 'a salt or pepper pot'
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy