Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zipfit liner fitters in The North

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Grizzler wrote:
My issue is narrow at the rear and no shin/calf grip. The forefoot is happy in a 97 and might be problematical in a race boot, though I am aware of them as an option. The ZF idea was really to get a liner that can be padded in the lower leg and tongue area as that is the real problem which no-one can yet solve.

but
CEM wrote:
it is all about shape and volume, people have become fixated on the forefoot last measurement (not saying it is not a factor) when all the important stuff happens at the back end of the boot

I have used the same model of boots for nearly 20 years, the current pair is listed as being 2mm narrower than the oldest ones but I feel that this is more down to a more shaped arch area than them being narrower everywhere.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Mother hucker, thanks. A good idea, particularly if just want ZFs. Wouldn't do it for shells as well.
Only problem is that divorce proceedings would likely ensue if I go near a boot shop, given all too much bad prior experience and lost slope time and enjoyment abroad (Austria mainly, Italy on cards this coming year maybe). I am near banned from skiing on holidays anyway - overly-big snowboard boots seem much more amenable to 2 pairs of socks + blister tape and mucho foam padding rolling eyes
Seriously, it's been such an ongoing annoyance, and so much fun and learning time and money wasted, despite investing lots of money and some reasonable travel and time with several 'reputable' fitters in UK and in resort (hmmm...) that I did take up boarding, though I would still like to ski as well.
Realistically, I just have to try to get things sorted where I can in the UK and tested in domes over the summer, preferably. Sadly, now even dome trips are less easy; but at least I can get to one within 2 hours of (oft-unpleasant) driving if I put my Zaphod Beeblebrox sunglasses on.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rjs, Sorry, kind of missed that second quote, with which I agree. I have been recommended the Hawx Ultra by several shops because it seems to give a good rear hold (and it seems nicely roomy at front). I think my current boots are more lv at the front than rear.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Grizzler, remind me, what is your current boot?

atomic have started to publish real life lasts on the boots so you see the difference between each size .... ie the 92mm in 23.5, 94mm in 24.5 (remember 24.0 does not exist) again difficult as i have not seen your feet, and it depends on the shell check, but, if there was visually enough space i would go small and push out if needed
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@CEM, thanks again. I am minded that I should not be asking for specific advice from you without visiting, so appreciate your comments.
My current boots are K2 Spyre lv w 110 in 23.5. Best boot I have yet had, and nearly, on occasions, pretty good, but still just not meeting 100% of what I want out of them, even with reasonable improvements being achievable with some foam, tape, general bodging and improved technique. Booster straps, I'm told, would help if I could get them fitting around the front liner rather than front shell: but the boot/liner design is such that there isn't room at the front and sides for this without starting cutting into the front (semi-shell wrap around thing) and the stiffer side shell tops, which is really going way too far in terms of boot mods for me.
But the liner hold issue aside, I've still got the big toes banging on the end as well. Probably not helped by the liner being padded by stick-on foam at its rear as well as sides (done by original fitter) to get better heel and ankle hold, which is probably pushing the liner forward from the shell. Did try this last weekend to remove the rearmost padding, but it didn't make much toe room difference and the heel hold went sloppy again. It's not visually a shell size issue (a good 2 of my slender fingers down the back), just the toe box seeming to be terribly low and oddly shaped. My foot doesn't seem to pull back much under flex, even with custom insoles, so if my toes are brushing the end then they brush the end always. They were pretty 'snug' at the toes when I bought them, but I was advised that they were the right size and, to be fair, it's not really a problem in straight downhill piste skiing, just when getting bumped around in choppier or rough stuff and when walking in them (which is a necessity, one way or the other). Maybe a bit of lack of hold in the front of the ankle doesn't help, but little that I can do about that and not a new problem to me in any form of boots. If I remember to tape padding on top of the toe nail every time I ski then it's cope-able with (and then there's no room for the toe to move in any case!); just if I forget then it gets rather sore... The boots are also terribly cold in the toe area, even just indoors: and I don't usually get cold feet at all.
I have considered pushing them out or having bits ground off inside, but was advised that this could make the toe box even lower, and I don't want to compromise the integrity and strength of the shells (and also don't know who I'd trust to do this more drastic work on them). So current thinking, given my realistic options at present, is maybe just to keep them as spares, sell my current spares and work on using past knowledge to improve the next pair: at least I then have 2 shells in and with which to play with Zipfits, and worst case scenario end up no worse off with a pair of not bad, but not perfect boots.
If I buy new boots and have them pushed out by the shop as part of the fitting - and also perhaps with the mouldable shells now being offered - then I feel a bit more comfortable about that. If I can get a new pair with more, or adjustable, forward lean without a huge spoiler then I think that's also a bonus. It's just going to be a bit more tiral and error, informed by hindsight.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Grizzler, the heat mold on a shell won't push out the toe box, that needs to be done with tools, done properly and they shouldn't be any loss of height, as for grinding the toe box again with the correct tools you can gain a few mm but you need two things for this to happen...! a grinder, 2 material thickness! so the hawx ultra for example cannot be ground as the shell is too thin in that area... my best guess is it is volume in the throat of the boot, you are sliding forward inot the void space and that is why the toes are jamming (or calf mucle is tight and not letting you into the back of the boot
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@CEM, thanks, helpful.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy