Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Short break Jan 2019

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am looking to book a 4 night break early Jan for me and my two lads ( 14 and 11 )
Any reomendations?
Intermediate skiers.
Is it best to organise this type of trip indipendantly.
We habe skiid in Zel am See last two years. (Wife no longer wants to come and has given us permission for 4 nights without her!)

Any recomendations welcome.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
'Monterosa ski for free'? Several hotels in Gressoney and Champoluc offer lift pass included deals (4 nights min i think) in Jan and an easy diy from Turin or Milan. Just Google the title for a list of hotels which offer it. Some hotels in Sestriere do the same, Hotel Sciatori in Borgata springs to mind.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Tobydom100, which airports can you get to?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can get to most UK airports.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I’d try and persuade the other half that 6 night makes sense and travel in the evening, otherwise you waste half a day at best, or a full day Wink

Otherwise you’ve only got four nights, so that either means sacrifice day 1 and day 5 for travel and ski 3 days and the choice of where to go is massively wide, or really plan which airport is best that has the earliest flights to and latest from Geneva, Chambery, Innsbruck, Salzburg, Zurich etc, hire a car or do a private transfer so you are not waiting, and go to a close resort so you can get in at least the afternoon and morning skiing on the first and last days.

Do a search on this forum for ski weekends as the most convient airports and resorts has been discussed before.

For example, EasyJet do very early flights out of Luton and Stansted to Geneva and late back. Go to Flaine, Avoriaz/Morzine, Chamonix all 1 to 1.5 hour away.

The issue may be booking 5 nights accommodation. Try Airbnb.

In Sweden and Norway the changeover days are Sunday and Thursday, so you can book most accommodation for 7, 4, or 3 nights. EasyJet fly from Gatwick to Åre, or you can look at Oslo for Trysil. Check skistar.com.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sauze d'Oulx is really easy to do. Ryanair flights from Stanstead to Turin. Transfer via sauzeonline.com . We use the La Torre for weekends. Book direct on their website. They have a free minibus to take you & collect from the main chairlift. Lift pass at the bottom of the chair for Sportina. Skis / Boots at the top of that chair. Simples !
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd also work on persuasion that an extra night at the beginning would be useful to travel! Very Happy

My pick would be Westendorf. We we able to have an odd length hol there this year booking our own hotel etc (hotel alpenhof, it did the job). Fly to Innsbruck, get the train over the Westendorf, don't forget to book a taxi in advance from the train station though as the walk is a sod. Easy to get over to the main Skiwelt for a day or two if you like, and the skiing in Westendorf itself is fun for intermediates. Lift pass and ski hire/store places all at the bottom of the lifts.

There do seem to be loads of short breaks to Norway - BA holidays have them for the Radisson in Trysil, and they look like decent value. If you can, get breakfast chucked in there, as the food and drink in Norway is expensive... Trysil is nice and quiet though if you like quiet! The main skistar resorts page also have short break deals, like accommodation with lift passes thrown in.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've not used them but these guys are well spoken of on here.

I low season it should be easy enough to DIY. It's a few years ago now but I flew Luton > Geneva on a Thursday evening, Hotel transfer to Argentierre for 4 nights, skied Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon and then flew back Monday evening.

But there are other good options, some already mentioned.

Thing to get right is the flight times to travel in the evening ideally, or very early morning and the short transfer at the other end.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not sure why people are saying an extra night or two would be useful. I mean they would because they'd extend a ski trip, which is never a bad thing. But I don't see how it makes any difference to the logistics of the trip.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Layne wrote:
Not sure why people are saying an extra night or two would be useful. I mean they would because they'd extend a ski trip, which is never a bad thing. But I don't see how it makes any difference to the logistics of the trip.

Better to travel in the evening as you can’t ski in the evening. If you travel in the morning you probably lose that day.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Themasterpiece wrote:
Layne wrote:

Better to travel in the evening as you can’t ski in the evening. If you travel in the morning you probably lose that day.

If he is doing a 4 night break he can ski 4 days, if he is doing a 5 night break he can do 5 days, if he is doing a 3 night break he can ski 3 days - assuming he travels in the evening, which I agree is optimal (assuming you work for a living and want to minimise days off).

If he isn't worried about eating into another day, has the time off anyway, etc. he could fly early in the morning and not in the evening and get whatever skiing time allows, on arrival. This assumes he is restricted to the 4 nights but can take 5 days.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Would your OH be interested in a 1-week winter holiday with no skiing?

You could base yourself in a city like Innsbruck, Aosta, Ljubljana, Trento, Verona, Briancon etc where she could enjoy a city break taking in the sights, do a course (artistic) and you could be close enough to get to the slopes easily enough.

You take a day off snow to have a family day together which would still give you 5-days skiing.

If not, then go Mon-Fri, checking in Monday, checking out Friday. Ski Tues, Weds, Thurs, Fri.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy