Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Unusual or extreme events in the mountains

Poster: A snowHead
After a rough time at work and a friend battling for her life it has made me consider what I want from the next few months along with a financial grant which will enable me to buy a sit ski, I am thinking of taking the winter off and going flexible part time which work allows.
I used to be a ski instructor, but due to multiple and chronic health conditions I had to stop, but the love of skiing still remains and does the adventure of travel. I wanted to do something a bit different with my possible time off and not just clock up as much mileage as I can although that can be fun!
I have had a google of some fun and bizarre events/activities possible in a few resorts but wondered whether anyone here had any experience of some fun/wild/wacky/bizarre/stupid things to do which run across different parts of europe?!
so far I have found a massive treasure hunt, the jump thing in tignes, and the end of season pond skimming things! I would love to try a race too!
I have days where I can stand up ski, days where I am paralysed from the waist or neck or just the right side of body so use a sit ski and have chronic pain along with a few other issues. I am a part time wheelchair user and no alcohol/minimal due to seizure risk.
Can anyone throw any ideas into the mix and see what adventures and crazy things I can do to scare my parents and inspire/change perceptions of disabilities!
Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to sHs.

Not wishing to be a downer on your ambition but chasing stuff across Europe sounds a bit much for anyone - even WC athletes with their support struggle a bit. If you choose a biggish area like 3 Vallees or the Arlberg etc there will usually be enough stuff going on over a season to give you a variety of challenges. Alternately you could target something a bit more specific like the classic all mountain races like the Inferno in Murren and Derby de la Meije.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Take a lot of advice about what kind of sitski to buy, with your background you probably know that there are many variations, and then there are variations of seat etc too.
They all do different jobs for different levels of need.
DSUK would be a good place to start for advice, but I would also find their equivalent in Canada and New Zealand and email them too.
Both those countries are far more advanced in getting skiing accessed for disability skiers compared to Europe.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks for the responses!
I have tried different sit skis and know which one's I like and which ones I don't which has been helpful and settled on one which will meet my needs now and for a while to come yet. Canada is defo ahead of europe in terms of set ups and programs available which is where I taught from (lived in banff, taught at sunshine, lake louise and mount norquay for 2 years....such a hard life back then haha) but cost, time and travel makes it a lot harder than europe.
I should have been a bit more specific, I won't be chasing stuff all over europe- that would be hard and expensive! I kind of meant like a week out of each month to go on a mini adventure and try something new/wild. So that would give me 5/6 at a push things to aim for. the inferno sounds fun but maybe a bit beyond my ability at the moment!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ok, so they are "clocking up mileage" but how about the following; challenge yourself and raise money for good causes?

https://www.snow-camp.org.uk/events/aj-bell-alpine-challenge/

http://www.ski4cancer.org/everest

I'd expect both organisations to be very supportive if you get in touch with them?

Best of luck with whatever you go for - sounds like you have a fun winter ahead of you!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Great plan.

What about the longest pistes in the Alps? This link has some suggestions:

https://ski-resort-stats.com/2017/11/16/top-10-longest-ski-run-europe/

Or the biggest vertical drop? Options depend on your ability:

Arcs 2000 has Aiguille Rouge, a red which tuns into a blue, 3226-1200 = 2026m.
Chamonix's Grand Montets has a black which turrns into a red, 3275-1252 = 2023m.
A big adventure would be Chamonix's Vallee Blanche. This is off piste, with a guide, 3777- 1035 = 2742m. There is a section of climbing up hill, and from what you say, you might need some help with that, but that's not insurmountable. Chamonix is also the sort of place where you could find a guide who would be able to cater for your requirements. The altitude drop is also dependent on snow conditions. A big challenge, which would be a real adventure if you thought it was achievable.

I'm sure there'll be someone along with some other suggestions soon.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dave of the Marmottes, It's been over 30 years since I last did it but I think the Inferno is unlikely for a sitskier because of the long push/skate uphill through the trees from the Hogsback to Winteregg, unless the course has been changed since then.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
St Anton land slip 100,000m3 yesterday, widespread infrastructure damage.....Sad

http://m.tt.com/panorama/unfall/14655190-91/arlbergstrecke-bleibt-gesperrt-unwetter-in-tirol-weiter-m%C3%B6glich.csp
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Markymark29, Are you suggesting that she get her kicks from starting landslides ?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chamcham wrote:
Great plan.

What about the longest pistes in the Alps? This link has some suggestions:

https://ski-resort-stats.com/2017/11/16/top-10-longest-ski-run-europe/

Or the biggest vertical drop? Options depend on your ability:

Arcs 2000 has Aiguille Rouge, a red which tuns into a blue, 3226-1200 = 2026m.
Chamonix's Grand Montets has a black which turrns into a red, 3275-1252 = 2023m.
A big adventure would be Chamonix's Vallee Blanche. This is off piste, with a guide, 3777- 1035 = 2742m. There is a section of climbing up hill, and from what you say, you might need some help with that, but that's not insurmountable. Chamonix is also the sort of place where you could find a guide who would be able to cater for your requirements. The altitude drop is also dependent on snow conditions. A big challenge, which would be a real adventure if you thought it was achievable.

I'm sure there'll be someone along with some other suggestions soon.

Cervinia - Kleine Matterhorn to Valtournenche - 3,883-1,528m.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rjs, no posted in error, I saw the title and thought it was an unusual event, hadn’t read the thread.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@hannahlucy89, What sort of race do you want to try ? I'm sure it would be fine to use a sit ski in an ESF Fleche (GS).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Vasaloppet on a sitski
http://youtube.com/v/9_cSMBmM4mc. I can’t even imagine how tough that must be!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Seen a piece in Alpes magazine or summat about touring on a sit ski. About a dozen friends pull uphill like a dog sled team and then downhill as normal. Obviously fairly mellow terrain but it seemed to work fine.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@altis, I'm up for that... as the sitskier
snow conditions
Don't know if you can do it in Europe but the best craic I have ever had was going up in a helicopter with avi control team from Denver. Helicopters are inherently unstable. Throw in a bloke with a couple of dozen sticks of explosives and a lighter. Bring your pwn toilet roll.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy