Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Restless leg(s)?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone suffer from this? Ever since my knee injuries, especially on a delayed basis after good exercise, one leg can suffer from very annoying deep outer quad and calf aches, the need to twitch, be stretched etc, which sounds like RLS as far as I see or hear it described. Happens mainly as I relax at night or in bed (Mr G is getting fed up of being kicked around, even if I blithely snore on; allegedly...). Googled it and it seems it can come after knee surgery (not had in my case).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Grizzler wrote:
Anyone suffer from this? Ever since my knee injuries, especially on a delayed basis after good exercise, one leg can suffer from very annoying deep outer quad and calf aches, the need to twitch, be stretched etc, which sounds like RLS as far as I see or hear it described. Happens mainly as I relax at night or in bed (Mr G is getting fed up of being kicked around, even if I blithely snore on; allegedly...). Googled it and it seems it can come after knee surgery (not had in my case).

Yep, suffered from it on and off for years. I found that if I have my feet up on the recliner all evening, it makes it worse. It always seems to kick in, just as I'm on the point of nodding off to sleep. I only tend to get in one leg at a time, but can get it in either.

The only thing that I've found that helps is to flick my leg out numerous times from the knee, as if kicking a foot ball and then massage my leg vigorously before getting into bed. That certainly seems to help me. But then mine is not as bad as some sufferers I've read about. Mine doesn't hurt; it's just an uncontrollable urge to kick my leg out. The only way I can describe it to people is it's like having a really bad itch deep inside your bones; which makes you want to twitch your leg constantly.

Haven't had a it for a few months, thankfully.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Like having fizzy pop running through your veins instead of blood. Had it for ever, and I've yet to find anything to make it better. Socks off, trousers off etc all help a bit, only happens in the evenings for me.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi grizzler I’ve suffered with RLS for last couple of years ,I was recommended magnesium 250mg tablets (Holland and Barrett ) there the only thing that work for me !👍,take 1 tablet just before bed ,good luck !
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I use to have this fairly regularly, particularly late in the evening. Since cutting out alcohol and minimizing my sugar intake it has virtually disappeared.

Given that alcohol contains a fair amount of sugar, for me it would appear sugar was probably a significant part of the problem

First time I’ve heard about magnesium - will remember that if it happens again
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Awdbugga wrote:
.... if I have my feet up on the recliner all evening, it makes it worse. It always seems to kick in, just as I'm on the point of nodding off to sleep.
....... it's just an uncontrollable urge to kick my leg out. The only way I can describe it to people is it's like having a really bad itch deep inside your bones; which makes you want to twitch your leg constantly.

Yep, yep and yep. The kick the leg bit only really seems to happen when I'm asleep, the deep itch cum ache on the recliner onwards (maybe it doesn't like being horizontal?), need to move, clench and stretch, if not it'll eventually twitch off on its own. (That's Endoman's fizzy pop, then.)

I have found that red Tiger Balm calms things down often; don't know why as Deep Heat and Ralgex don't do a thing.
Magnesium I have heard of. I do take general supplements though have suspicions that Mg makes other muscle aches worse in my case - but maybe worth a go? They work for Mr G's leg night cramps, certainly.

Sugar/alcohol theory interesting, especially as I do drink a bit of beer sometimes, eat a large amount of fruit in the evening and currently have mass evening sugar cravings - though my leg restlessness seem most related to doing exercise, walking or heavy leg work the day before. I do then have annoyed outer leg deep 'aches' all day also. I recall from earlier in the year that if I'm doing it every day, e.g. continuous skiing, it isn't such a problem.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I do get this sometimes usually after a strenuous football game, like you say usually delayed till the following night. For me it feels more like my legs are buzzing and the need to keep moving them but never getting comfortable, annoying when trying to get to sleep! On the odd ish occasion I get it I just take a couple of Ibuprofen, seems to get rid of it enough to let me get to sleep, which is what I started doing before I realised the syndrome actually had a name!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thankfully I am not a sufferer but seeing this thread just makes me think of the Half Man Half Biscuit track.

Homeopathic cures I’ve sought
All in all they’ve come to naught
I wish it was some astronaut
Who had these restless legs

Or this piece of lyrical genius
No sympathy from Uncle Greg
Nor indeed from Aunty Meg
Well thank God I’m not Jake the Peg
With an extra restless leg

Sadly I don’t think any of the suggested cures in the song would work.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy