Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Contamines at New Year

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
under a new name wrote:
@Badbobby, Not sure about any microclimate?

Someone told me that and I thought it was bollox. No science involved, but it actually does seem to have its own micro climate when the wind is coming from Mont Blanc direction. I should probably spend a season there doing research.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Thornyhill, noble ambition.

Not sure a micro climate is “when the wind blows this way”...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ItaloSkier wrote:
Too slow to respond... I was going to say La Thuile if you were open to going to Italy... just past Courmayeur and the main skiing really starts at 2000m and up. You can also find a few nice places in town. That said, have fun in Les Houches. Have not skied it yet although done other places in the Chamonix Valley. Would like to try it next year.

Hi, I went to La Thuile in January for 3 nights. Enjoyed it, but probably won't go back just yet. Similarly, I did Courmayeur the year before for 3 nights. Only ended up there as it was pretty much the only resort in striking distance of Geneva that had snow! I looked at webcams of all the resorts over a day or so! Really enjoyed it, especially the village, but it was a touch too small an area and I would have thought it'll be overflowing at NY. Potentially much better if you off piste as it looked like lots of accessible stuff.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I’d get a car, for 4 days car hire it would be same price as transfer.
Lots of places to hit in 30 minuets as your near autoroute.
FYI I just can’t see past the EMB area StG is so different from LC & yet only 9km apart (I know I hiked it yesterday) both are very good at what they offer
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You've decided against LC but, for the record, the fact that the top skiing is east facing means it keeps its snow well. I have a friend with an apartment in Chamonix and she's said they sometimes went to LC when snow was poor in Chamonix. I'd say it's a better bet for snow than Les Houches or Flaine. But yes - only above the top gondola station (Jonction)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think the reason les Contamines has a good reputation for snow is because of its proximity right next to Mount Blanc. Really big mountains have the effect of pulling the snow level down around them. Unfortunately that means they also attract poor visibility, strong winds and high humidity.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I’ll report back on 2 Jan! I’m relatively tempted to buy a day passes and visit Les Contamines
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That's why renting a car might be best... you can make decisions on a day-by-day basis depending on weather, day of the week, etc. When we stayed in Chamonix, in 6 days, we did Vallorcine, Grand Montets (two days back-to-back), Courmayeur, Grand Montets and St. Gervais Les Bain (San Nicolas). The Courmayeur day, for example, was super sunny and perfect which meant GM was packed but Courmayeur was very chilled out.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Badbobby wrote:
I’ll report back on 2 Jan! I’m relatively tempted to buy a day passes and visit Les Contamines

So I ended up abandoning any effort for a quick transfer and so cancelled Les Houches and rebooked in Crans Montana of all places - nearest place I could find to Geneva that would do 3 nights, at a reasonable price and in a reasonable location. Taken the view that i'd rather ski 3 days of proper snow rather than 3.5 days of rubbish ice/field - bitten twice before.

Fly Saturday am - very excited!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy