Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alps 'melting'

Poster: A snowHead
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/aug/24/climate-change-is-melting-the-french-alps-say-mountaineers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Been well documented for years on SH.

Skiable European Alpine Summer glaciers have all but disappeared in the past 3 decades.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wonder if that is the cause of the recent fall onto the Grande Balcon?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not only France, of course. It's a major pre-occupation of instructors I've spoken to in Italy. The Presena glacier above Passo Tonale has been retreating, and is now being covered with an insulating blanket in an attempt to stop this:

https://glacierchange.wordpress.com/2011/03/03/presena-glacier-italy-needs-a-blanket/
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And yet the Warren Smith Academy website video blogs showed a LARGER and better covered area between Zermatt and Cervinia this summer!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wait til you look under the glaciers!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
robhogg wrote:
Not only France, of course. It's a major pre-occupation of instructors I've spoken to in Italy. The Presena glacier above Passo Tonale has been retreating, and is now being covered with an insulating blanket in an attempt to stop this:

https://glacierchange.wordpress.com/2011/03/03/presena-glacier-italy-needs-a-blanket/

They started blanketing Presena Glacier around 2010 / 2011. It has not really worked.

August 2012...

August 2018...

snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They tried that on what's left of the Zugspitz glacier. Complete waste of time. I'm not even sure whether it really still qualifies as a glacier any more. It's just a patch of ice.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yeah, this isn't really news to anyone who has been to the Alps in the summer recently, especially that change over relatively short time periods. As for Zermatt, despite relatively good snow depths on the upper glacier this year the overall trend is pretty obvious. They've got "all weather snow machines" up there now to connect trockner steg with the retreating tongue of the glacier.

snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This is a big concern for most of us. I believe science has proven glaciers retreated even more in the Medieval Warm Period. Obviously man made climate change wasn’t a factor back then. Is there any evidence of why glaciers melted and then reformed over the years?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@sbooker, do you have any links to this proof?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Steilhang,
I don’t know about proof but there are plenty of articles that mention artefacts being discovered under glaciers. I thought this was a well known thing.
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/arstechnica.com/science/2018/01/climate-change-melting-pre-viking-artifacts-out-of-norways-glaciers/%3famp=1
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/phys.org/news/2013-11-greenland-shrunken-ice-sheet-weve.amp
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_Warm_Period
I’m no scientist of course.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And another about the medieval warm period.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_Warm_Period
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Presumably it’s not just the meting of the glaciers that is reducing skiing but there must also be a myriad of neve fields being lost every year too ? Since most terrain in the Alps above about 2500m resembles a quarry, losing even small permanent snow fields must set back the point when sufficient snow cover is reached to enable skiing each year ?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wasn't there also a set of pictures on snowheads some years back on the retreat and reformation of the Mer de Glace late 19th and early 20th century?
ski holidays
@stevew, Not sure about reformation, but a salty old ski guide gave us an interesting tour and shared his memories of the Mer de Glace since his childhood...a real eye-opener. (pics on Google)
snow report
Just to be clear I'm not a climate change denier and I agree man and his activities has contributed to the earths warming.
I just find it interesting that it appears a cycle of warming/cooling has happened before. Hopefully science can find a way to harness this natural rhythm for the best.
Unfortunately and hypocritically I intend to catch carbon emitting jet planes half way around the world to indulge in my ski addiction. Sad
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
Been well documented for years on SH.

Skiable European Alpine Summer glaciers have all but disappeared in the past 3 decades.

Also well known that all the glaciers in the states are melting too.
Clicky linky for Pictures
ski holidays
ALQ wrote:
@stevew, Not sure about reformation, but a salty old ski guide gave us an interesting tour and shared his memories of the Mer de Glace since his childhood...a real eye-opener. (pics on Google)

Reformation wasn't the best choice of words but best I could think at at the time, but there was a period where it retreated and started forming again, tried to find pictures but can't now.
snow report
ALQ wrote:

Don’t they use salt to melt ice? Very Happy
ski holidays
@stevew, I’m sure it had, but after seeing how far it retreated just over a few years, AND the state of it, I think we’ll need a few decades of a nice cool nuclear winter to reform it even a 100yds.

@Rabbie, Good point. He’s probably on the Soros payroll, the knave! But I managed to talk him into a few extra long picnic stops along the way. Little Angel
snow report
Hands up who flew to the ‘States or Japan for skiing.
It’s your fault.
How did I get to the Alps this season?
By mountain bike, like Goran Kropp.
I’m lying.
Actually I flew once and drove with the kids three times.
It’s my fault too.
How many skis have I got? More than I strictly need.
How many mountain bikes have I got? More than strictly I need.
How many pairs of climbing boots have I got? Too many according to my partner.
It really is my fault too.
How do we heat the water in our house? By solar panels.
How do we heat the space in our house? By wood pellet boiler.
Will this help. Not really.
snow report
@ALQ, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
@valais2, Every little helps. Just as the German government has been doing over the past 20 years to encourage solar energy use.
Have a browse as it’s quite impressive; it’s even won over their local regressive, passive-aggressive naysayers.
snow conditions
Appreciate its still summer, but the webcam view across to Grande Motte from Toviere is quite sobering compared to previous years
snow conditions
Ashridge wrote:
And yet the Warren Smith Academy website video blogs showed a LARGER and better covered area between Zermatt and Cervinia this summer!

despite the awesome winter i am fairly sure it wasn't possible to ski to trockner by july. it was the case last summer too though maybe not as early.
latest report
sbooker wrote:
Just to be clear I'm not a climate change denier and I agree man and his activities has contributed to the earths warming.
I just find it interesting that it appears a cycle of warming/cooling has happened before. Hopefully science can find a way to harness this natural rhythm for the best.
Unfortunately and hypocritically I intend to catch carbon emitting jet planes half way around the world to indulge in my ski addiction. Sad

Ya, warming goes in cycles.

But this current cycle of <200 years is unprecedented.

The world today is warming around 40,000 times faster than the average during the previous 4m years.

Doubt the world can do much to stop it now.
ski holidays
Kj82 wrote:
Ashridge wrote:

despite the awesome winter i am fairly sure it wasn't possible to ski to trockner by july. it was the case last summer too though maybe not as early.

The Furggsattel lift runs to the end of June. The pistes from there run down to Trockener Steg. After that it is the summer ski area higher up. For the first few weeks you can ski from the summer ski area down to Trockener Steg. But when it becomes too slushy they close that route and you have to get off the summer ski are at the top and ski over to Klein Matterhorn. So strictly one is skiing to Trockener Steg in July (both this year and last year).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold wrote:

Ya, warming goes in cycles.

But this current cycle of <200 years is unprecedented.

The world today is warming around 40,000 times faster than the average during the previous 4m years.

Doubt the world can do much to stop it now.

I think that's where climate scaremonger got it so very wrong. Climate change is like a freight train coming down the mountain. We can't stop it.

We CAN'T stop the warming. We can't even slow down the warming rate significantly! The most we can do is slow down the RATE of acceleration just a tiny bit, TO BUY TIME to deal with the ultimate result! Rather than just blissfully cheering while the runaway train gathers speed towards its terminal collision!

sbooker wrote:

For that, we need as much time as we can, to "find a way" for the best.
ski holidays
Quote:

We CAN'T stop the warming. We can't even slow down the warming rate significantly! The most we can do is slow down the RATE of acceleration just a tiny bit, TO BUY TIME to deal with the ultimate result! Rather than just blissfully cheering while the runaway train gathers speed towards its terminal collision!

Utterly Delusional

http://cdn.antarcticglaciers.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Ice_Age_Temperature.png
snow report
@letelemarker, You are Private Fraser and I claim my £5. We are all doomed.
latest report

@abc interesting and worrying article from your home town newspaper. If the USA had stopped all CO2 emmissions in 1980 it would only slow down the reckoning by 7 years. Natural cycles excluded. It is a Titanic situation, by the time you see the iceberg (warming) it is already too late to avoid - we should have steamed much more carefully in the first place. The best hope in the next 20 years is nuclear but no use building power stations if they can't run in the summer heat.

Of course climate change is just a symptom of overpopulation and no-one has talked about that since the 1970s.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/08/01/magazine/climate-change-losing-earth.html
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy