Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Slowing down... . .. . .

Poster: A snowHead
At what age do you accept that you're reaching the stage where your body just can't continue to accept the abuse that has been thrown at it over the years?

My joints and limbs are 59 years old.

Mind.. about 18.

Should I grow up or just carry on through the pain barrier?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@esaw1, just carry on and pretend until you break down and die. Best way to go.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
😀😀Thank you. I'll do just that! Question answered.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The oldest guys doing Masters races are in their late 80s.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
off season training really helps, my father is 60, 5 years before he decided to start swimming, cycling and going to the gym regularly. I skied with him for the first time since his training and he absolutely smashed me down the slopes having put in the work (I'm 21). His back would get achy so he decided to do yoga/ pilates after skiing and he would feel fine the next day.

No reason he couldn't keep on killing it when hes 70.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What @Steilhang said. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I started skiing last year at the tender age of 62. I hope to be still doing it at 82. Try avoid putting loads of weight on. It just puts a strain on your joints and ticker.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Awdbugga, yep.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I know what you mean, I turned Fifty two weeks ago and have been noticing aches and pains in the knees and such.
I'd say I feel the most youthful when I'm flying down a slope.
Conversly I'm most aware of my age when I'm at the top of something scary for the first time, especially if I'm on my own.
My present to me was a solo weekend at Glencoe. I decided to try the flypaper...My legs were petrified at the top but at the bottom I was giggling like a child.
So I second @Steilhang, and @geepee,

Life is for the living!
Slopes are for sliding Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Awdbugga, Great quote!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Graham Warren wrote:
I know what you mean, I turned Fifty two weeks ago and have been noticing aches and pains in the knees and such.
I'd say I feel the most youthful when I'm flying down a slope.
Conversly I'm most aware of my age when I'm at the top of something scary for the first time, especially if I'm on my own.
My present to me was a solo weekend at Glencoe. I decided to try the flypaper...My legs were petrified at the top but at the bottom I was giggling like a child.
So I second @Steilhang, and @geepee,

Life is for the living!
Slopes are for sliding Toofy Grin

I cracked a rib on the first day of this years birthday bash and then tore one of my tricep muscles three days running, leaving a large haematoma from by wrist to by armpit. Regular Paracetamol, together with copious applications of rule 5 and crack on. Twisted Evil So much snow, so little time. snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Graham Warren wrote:
@Awdbugga, Great quote!

Or to put it in a more genteel way:
"To ski, however well or poorly, is a reminder that one is alive, and that life is tremendous fun" - J Riddell, British Winner of the 1929 Inferno ski race in Murren. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Alastair Pink, do you know HOW Jimmy Riddell won that Inferno (pretty sure it was him)...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well my Dad was saying at SFaB that he can’t do the same length of days he used to, but still able to ski for a reasonable amount and enjoy it. He turned 70 in Feb.
snow report
To steal one of those inspirational memes "You don't stop skiing when you grow old, you grow old when you stop skiing" I intend to keep going as long as I'm physically able.
snow conditions
53 in a few weeks, from 17 to 33 I worked at a dry ski slope, all that time skiing on a dry slope and my hips are starting to play up. Constant ache and stiffness, currently do a lot of cycling after 50+ miles I can really feel my hips moaning. Wont stop me skiing or cycling though.
snow report
I'm 71 and intend to continue skiing - but possibly not living up to my screen name - for as long as I can walk.
snow conditions
I'm now past 50 and am fitter than I've ever been in my life. OK, I was a total bookworm until 20 Laughing
However, all the old injuries ache a bit, and I have to train harder to get small increases but am aiming to carry on biking, climbing and skiing right up until the weight of painkillers consumed means I can't make it up the mountain.
ski holidays
@Scarpa, does one ever stop being a bookworm?! Shocked Shocked
latest report
tarrantd wrote:
To steal one of those inspirational memes "You don't stop skiing when you grow old, you grow old when you stop skiing" I intend to keep going as long as I'm physically able.

This is my aim to oat age 71. I live on a sailboat in the Eastern Caribbean which helps keep me going. Swimming in seawater is excellent non weight bearing exercise as I am sure my joints are well worn by now.

3 weeks in Utah most years.
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
@Scarpa, does one ever stop being a bookworm?! Shocked Shocked

I think I qualified as a bookworm up till I finish college.

I still enjoy reading whenever I could find the time. But other priorities took over (skiing, cycling), I read a lot less now. I’d say I’m no longer a bookworm these days. Though that may change back to being a bookworm again when I retire.

On slowing down as getting older. I slowdown mentally around 45 Embarassed Instead of pushing through the pain, I adopted my skiing to have less impact on my body. I’m also more choosy on snow condition and crowd level too.

Result being I’m faster now, and ski more challenging terrain. All because I’m much more technically proficient than my younger days.

I take less risk now at my “advanced age”.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 18-05-18 22:04; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
@esaw1, for goodness sake MTFU. I am exactly the same age as you. I have climbed for 30+ years and don't feel as sprightly as once upon a time.

First time off piste 4 years ago (5 weeks after a partial menisectomy), and now after my fourth season in Chamonix I (with my equally ancient chums) have done a shed load of 45 degree plus moderately hard descents, over 25,000m of up (would have been much more with a good Spring), etc. Also, first water ice 5 climbing for 15 years.

For me anyway it is all in the preparation. Began training 1st August using the approach set out in Training for the New Alpinism by Steve House. From a steady start to bastardly hard gruelling work in late November and December. As @Scarpa, notes, increasingly hard work for small increases (improvements).

But the important fact is that you can still improve. It needn't be about just managing the decline yet; you still get out what you put in.
latest report
Had my first ski trip in 2007 aged 60 and skied twice a year through to 2016.
Haven't skied since the Birthday Bash in 2016 for health and fitness reasons but have recently been given the all clear.
As part of my fitness preparation to ski next year I have registered for the local 5k Parkrun (jog/walk) along Worthing seafront which will be my first 'competitive' run since school.
A few weeks to go before I will be already but going public increases the commitment.
latest report
@Hurtle, Nope, I still read a couple of books per week, the only time that slows down is when I am away working and don't get as much time.
snow report
@Scarpa, Very Happy phew!
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@Alastair Pink, do you know HOW Jimmy Riddell won that Inferno (pretty sure it was him)...

I'm not sure, unless he was the racer who was the first down to the finish line in Lauterbrunnen and found that there were no timekeeper race officials there, they weren't expecting anyone to get down so quickly and they had to be located in a nearby bar! Laughing
latest report
@codyaitch, I hope all goes well with your plan and look forward to seeing you skiing again. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geepee wrote:
@codyaitch, I hope all goes well with your plan and look forward to seeing you skiing again. Very Happy
+1
snow report
@esaw1, I'm the same age as you and despite the abuse I've thrown at my body over the years have just done my first season in Les Arcs after buying a small apartment last year. (I did a couple of seasons in Val Thorens a number of years ago during a midlife crisis). I intend to do this on a regular basis until there's a good reason to stop and I hope that won't be too soon.

The season had exactly the effect I had hoped for - skiing improved, weight lost and generally feel healthier. I figure that if I keep this up then the chances of me being able to ski in the long term are much improved.
ski holidays
esaw1 wrote:
At what age do you accept that you're reaching the stage where your body just can't continue to accept the abuse that has been thrown at it over the years?

Never.

If you're struggling, train harder.
snow report
@esaw1, I hit 65 for this next season and I'm planning on stepping up a gear . . . and as some here know, I'm mostly held together with Mechano and gaffa tape Toofy Grin There's no real reason beyond peer pressure and your own lack of will power to deny you being as able and active into your 80s as you were in your 20s . . . It's all about diet, weight, attitude and goals. Ok, as your DRNA falls off the end of its chain (for most of us, about 85), you are going to start to crumble, but if you're fit and active then, you've a longer way to fall than those who gave up in their 30s and 40s.

There is one thing that most people don't acknowledge . . . As we age we tend to gravitate toward friends and people that make us feel comfortable, safe and happy. We move away from those activities that challenged us and embrace those that comfort us . . . Unfortunately, that is what prematurely ages us. If you want to keep going there are just two things you need to do . . .

1: Be selfish with your time (this is difficult within a relationship Sad )
2: Rule 5 . . . always, rule 5 . . .
snow report
Masque wrote:
There is one thing that most people don't acknowledge . . . As we age we tend to gravitate toward friends and people that make us feel comfortable, safe and happy. We move away from those activities that challenged us and embrace those that comfort us . . . Unfortunately, that is what prematurely ages us.

Maybe I'm not as old as what my passport said I am then?

I still prefer unknown more than known. Discomfort be damned. (yes, I'm talking about people and emotions)
snow conditions
Must admit after seeing the thread where people are having to inject their knees with acid I started to get worried about what old age means (I'll be 50 later this year).

Started wondering how many of the injuries are down to ......

1. Extreme wear - e.g. Ski instructors wear and tear.
2. Accidents, hold my beer and watch this moments. I bust my shoulder ten years ago on an MTB Training course of all places, sometimes I wake up and it's a bit stiff - the shoulder.
3. Damage due to bad unhealthy life style. e.g. overweight putting a lot of strain on the joints.
4. Genectic - e.g. Arthritis. I some times get a bit of lower back pain, think this is down to one leg being longer than the other.

Masque wrote:
There is one thing that most people don't acknowledge . . . As we age we tend to gravitate toward friends and people that make us feel comfortable, safe and happy. We move away from those activities that challenged us and embrace those that comfort us . . . Unfortunately, that is what prematurely ages us. If you want to keep going there are just two things you need to do . . .

1: Be selfish with your time (this is difficult within a relationship Sad )
2: Rule 5 . . . always, rule 5 . . .

Many of my ski-touring friends are mid 40's with youger kids, they just don't have so much time and their fitness has dropped off although some with older children are coming back on the scene. I'm tending to spend more and more time with a social Internet ski group (average age around 30) and many are converting from Alpine to Ski touring / splitboarding.

Yes relationships are difficult. Am thinking of buying the other half an electric bike so we can do more biking together. A friend's wife is very fit so it's him that has the electric bike in that relationship. Before I go out walking with the better half I generally either do some exercise beforehand or do it on a recovery day otherwise I'm just too unbearable and it's no fun for her playing catch up all the time or me going at crawl pace. She is a much better swimmer than I (she used to do swimming races in her teens) and we did try going swimming togther but my swim technique resembled someone drowning and was too embarassing for all concerned. Embarassed I try to tie the exercise time together with something else e.g. a restaurant meal at the end of a days walking, a bit of wine tasting after walking in a wine region etc.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 19-05-18 9:38; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
52 and like to think I ski better now than ever. Mr P is nearly 58 and is equally of the same mindset. We make very good ski companions for each other too...we enjoy skiing with each other more than anyone else. Mr P junior (23) is a ski instructor and he can be quite complimentary about our ability and enthusiasm to crack on- even he quite enjoys skiing with us as, though we can’t ski as fast or as well as him, he doesn’t really have to wait for us too much.
Want to ski more, explore off piste more, and generally be outdoors. We are both lucky as we don’t seem to have any more than the odd twinge in the odd joint. We are very lucky!
I must admit my out of season fitness regime (mostly running) is a bit lax these days, And I need to do something about that. Last weekend the inaugural Gatwick half marathon went within 400 yards of Home, so I have declared an intention to do it next year.
snow report
Will qualify for a free lift pass in France next season so why am I going to the Birthday Bash?
ski holidays
I turned 50 this year, and it almost coincided with me taking a redundancy deal last year - may not work again in fact, if we can get certain ducks in a line Very Happy

So, the not working thing could have gone badly wrong, sedentary, pub most days, weight gain etc - but it hasnt, in the winter I was in the gym most days, skiied for a week in Tignes, and several day trips to glenshee / glencoe. My wife and I are also drinking a lot less than before.

Now the better weather has returned, I have been on my road bike, doing a lot of manual work in the garden, still gym if weather less than perfect, using my single speed to get around, go to shops etc.

As a result, I am a stone and a half lighter, feel fitter than I have done since my 30s, and everyone comments how healthy I look.

There is a slight problem, though - because I am so fit, I think I can do anything and assume I can go on all day, lugging timber out the garden to the recycling centre, move loads of earth etc etc - but by the end of the day I can be shattered.

So, to summarise - you dont need to give up, you can "have it all" but your body will tell you when you have done too much well before your head will.

Now, off up a ladder to paint the front windows !!
snow conditions
Great Hunter Thomson quote but let's not forget he topped himself in his 60's
snow conditions
No Style wrote:
Great Hunter Thomson quote but let's not forget he topped himself in his 60's

Madeye-Smiley

Some people live, others merely exist for a longer time.

https://www.quora.com/Why-did-Hunter-S-Thompson-commit-suicide
ski holidays
esaw1 wrote:
....At what age do you accept that you're reaching the stage where your body just can't continue to accept the abuse that has been thrown at it over the years?.......

And I'm sixty years young this year, and still one of my favorite pastimes is ripping the legs of those way younger than me* Cool

*But able to do so by the grace of some being - as all way too easy to get crocked whether self inflicted or some horrible health issue gets you.

My OH (64) wrote this feature http://www.stylealtitude.com/too-old-to-snowboard.html and she's currently doing an amusing off piste ski one
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy