Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier Snow Report 2018/2019-and useful links

Poster: A snowHead
Chambon tunnel closed again due to a fire in an electrical box.....Relief road opened again in the meantime, no date given for repairs in tunnel..........
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@KenX, inforoute05 said open again today at midday, but I don't know if thats true.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@KenX, inforoute Hautes-Alpes said it would be open again today at midday, but I don't know if thats true. http://inforoute.hautes-alpes.fr/www/index.html
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bumping up for @Weathercam who seems to have lost the thread.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hells Bells, well I wasn't the only one who couldn't see it this morning, you too ?

Sure you didn't hit a wrong (delete) button this morning when you were posting as you have admin rights Laughing

You might as well delete the other thread, I can't now as they're have been replies etc

In the meantime we're in for an interesting spell of weather in the next five to six days and beyond.

What the image does not show you below is that by this coming Thursday at 14:00 it's forecast to be 24 degrees!

Running today with the dogs from the valley up to Aravet I've never known them pick up so many scents and disappear for quite long periods, which was really disconcerting on a couple of occasions, as they chase up the slopes screeching in excitement as they pick up a fresh scent.

One time a couple of deer pinged out of the trees and crossed the trail looking at us, as if to say "what the hell are those two idiots (the dogs) doing?

Maybe deer are coming down to lower altitudes ?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chambon tunnel still closed, should be operational by Monday..........
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Breath suitable bated (both for snow and fast reopening of the Chambon tunnel ).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Brilliant when it's shut, roads so quiet as I rode up the Galbier today, and great news to come back to!

As Tour de France Route announced today and for us in Serre Chevalier we don't miss out!

So make sure you're here Wednesday 24th July for stage 18 - they leave Embrun, then it's a bit of a repeat of the stage a couple of years ago but after the Izoard they descend into Briancon, then through the Valley and up to Lautaret and then the final climb up to the Galibier and then descend down into Valloire 206km and a lot of climbing!!!!!

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Weathercam, will have to check J's holiday situation pronto. As it is quite late in July, we may be OK, but it's tempting to let the place out until later August and come for longer, but it's been a while since we were there for the Tour.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chambon tunnel opened again last night Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@KenX, just as well as Galibier is closed, when we drove up the valley late afternoon yesterday circa 17:00 tunnel was still closed along with Galibier.

Bit of a road trip yesterday over to Italy and then drive up from Oulx to Rifugio Alpino La Chardouse for a great bite to eat then a feckin steep hike up to the Chapel Cotolivier.

Weather was kind to us.

Then came back via Bardonecchia and a great shop for sausage and then back over Col Echelles where it was snowing.

And quick pit stop before going out to eat at a La Table du Chazal in Les Guibertes which has to be the best meal I've ever had in the valley!

Today there's a ski boot sale in Monetier, then as the weather clears up to the Lautaret for a snack at Fred's me thinks.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh well had to be done, hike up to around 2,200 on the Galibier road, and there were a set of tracks along the side the tarmac!

Decided to call it a day as the teasing sunshine disappeared, so decided to head back down to Monetier to the ski fair, but circa 2km down from Pont d'Alpe a feckin deer jumped over the barrier in front of me from Le Casset side as I was driving down, avoided that one only for a second and a third to follow and I hit one of them.

We jumped out to find small deer with an obvious broken rear leg, another car stopped and they called the secours. The deer then struggled to get away from the road climbing up about 150m and nestle down in some bushes whilst I kept and eye on it.

We had to wait for 20 or so mins for them to turn up and the pompier did go in a bit too rapid and the deer freaked and made a break for it, then a couple of obvious hunters turned up and we left them to it.

Feel like crap having hit it though Sad

Dogs have been going crazy with all the scents and we lost them again yesterday in Italy for quite a long time, but they do turn up and do stick together, though think we might have to stick a rope on them or stay above the treeline which is difficult with the snow now.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bummer........ Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A little dusting on the patio this morning!

https://stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Definitely time to start webcam watching.
snow conditions
First *dump* of the year, won't get the snow blower out just yet.........

Untitled
latest report
Well think you could say winter is here now, well at least for the time being, as I see that temps could be double figs this weekend, but in the valley.

Either way they will not be opening the Galibier road again for nigh on six months, but some of our ski touring areas are filling in nicely Cool

And it was brrrrrr up there today.

Though snow was very wind blown and not too good for dog throwing Laughing

snow report
Ding Dong

http://youtube.com/v/Wy6vKV8fnp8
ski holidays
Ran up to Frejus Village yesterday to see what the snow was like and if it was worth maybe getting skis out for a skin up to Cucumelle.

This photo was taken at the bottom of Cucumelle run above Vallons chair, just about enough snow, though as you can see conditions were pretty minging and looks to be wetter today up there, so unless there's a dramatic break in the weather don't think I'll be getting the gear out.

And then temps almost into double figs over the weekend but not too much in the way of sunshine Crying or Very sad

Again dogs going ballistic over fresh scents as they disappeared for ages screeching up the mountain, and bizarrely it's the older one who is more wound up over the chase?

But she was well and truly pooped on the way back down into Le Bez with her cutting bends on the trail as she knows that's the way for her to catch up!
latest report
It's not always about snow, honest Toofy Grin

The changing tableau that is Autumn.

Actually trying to be optimistic about the crappy weather at the moment
snow conditions
@Weathercam, Great mountainbiking weather, stop moaning and get out there wink
ski holidays
@Markymark29, he's a lycra "man"..........
latest report
@KenX, @Markymark29, been too wet, I'd get the MTB muddy. Toofy Grin

Trying to work out what to do this morning, as it's sunny, might have to go take a look up the Granon as I was mentioning that to a certain guide and he concurred that could be a good call.

But there again seems to be clouding over quickly Sad
snow report
Should have gone earlier Mad

Would have been good with decent light!

I was able to drive to 2,250m park up and skin from there, and more importantly ski back down all the way.

I called it a day about 150m from the summit as cloud was rolling in, thinking it would not be too sensible given the erratic snow cover and descent can be a tad tricky from the Gardiole summit.

But managed to lay down some nice tracks Cool

And managed to get the Drone to follow me whilst skinning with it sort of packed away.

http://youtube.com/v/f369XfWwNYo
snow report
Up the Granon road again yesterday, this time with the OH - cloud again rolled in again so we did not go to the summit though looking at the video you would not believe it!

http://youtube.com/v/rI28jsVmae8

We are so lucky to have the Granon road like that, it's actually better than the Lautaret as you can drive to the usable snow line as it were which is around 2,250 at this time of year*, as it's rain below and what precipitation falls as snow on the road lower down quickly melts.

Though yesterday three Frenchies had just left their cars in the middle of the road before some snow on the road and I could only just squeeze past them with the OH making sure my tyres were not going off the side of the road!

They were deeply embarrassed when they walked past me as I was parking up as they realised what Cocks they had been!

Not too much in the way of snow in the next ten days from the looks of things.

*Once we get more snow at lower altitudes then the snow does not melt and it's not till April that we can drive up the road and only then to about 2,000m
snow conditions
First proper snowfall here overnight Very Happy

latest report
@KenX, Very Happy webcams are looking good.
ski holidays
Outside La Grotte in Villeneuve, more snow up the valley!!!

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the photos Ken. I’m not there until February but just seeing snowy pics gets me excited Very Happy
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, Very Happy
snow report
@KenX, Very Happy Very Happy 28 days !!
snow report
Good news! After the recent snowfalls, SC are opening the lifts a week early Very Happy
Gondolas Ratier and Aravet will be whisking us up to a limited ski area ie Prorel, Combes and Foret lifts over the 1st-2nd December!
Then again the following weekend of 7/8/9 December, then full-time from 15th December onwards Very Happy
ski holidays
Corrected Toofy Grin

KenX wrote:
Good news! After the recent snowfalls, SC are opening the lifts a week early Very Happy
Gondolas Ratier and Aravet will be whisking us up then via Prorel, Combes and Foret lifts where we can put skins if necessary and go off and get some fresh over the 1st-2nd December!
Then again the following weekend of 7/8/9 December, then full-time from 15th December onwards Very Happy

Travelling out Friday shite better tell Lyn re Sainsburys !!!!
snow conditions
Starting to look like a ski resort again! Taken from the village of Les Tronchets on the Granon road after a little exploratory skin up Very Happy

IMG_0245

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 1-12-18 19:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Have a good first slide everyone out there.
snow report
Great morning, first lifts and 3 hours of powder with Weathercam and OH, then the afternoon on piste with LynnX Very Happy
latest report
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Not too bad a day Cool

After we'd skied many a lift serviced run; scoring some nice fresh powder between piste it was time to venture further where packing skins* helped us score some great lines in untracked terrain, and the hike back up was not even half an hour!

Did a second run and did think about hiking up for a third but snow on S facing slopes had a nasty crust.

Not too sure now about tomorrow and all of next week as temps and freezing level are bonkers high Crying or Very sad

As ever a vid paints a good number of words.

http://youtube.com/v/5fDGNkIvaNg

*Don't talk about the OH who grabbed the wrong skins, too narrow, the first climb I made a track in soft snow, second she and had to boot pack up the ungroomed but bashed piste, good work-out for her Laughing
ski holidays
So very soggy Sunday though at one point above La Foret en route to Serre Ratier is was pukin down with large flakes, unfortunately by the time we went back up after a rather long lunch at Chalet hôtel de Serre Ratier it was raining, so was a rather damp descent all the way back to Aravet via Marteau.

Yesterday was grim, and only ventured out to the shops, and Lidl shelves were devoid of all fresh stock due to the impact of the strike from a sign on the door, though not too sure if it's that their drivers are involved as other shops were well stocked.

This morning beautiful and sunny and I was tempted out after a day indoors ignoring the advice my guide mate gave me (to wait another day or two), but dogs needed a good workout anyway, and rather than go to Montgenevre which would have been the sensible option if I were with others I chose the long hike up from Cervieres as I was interested to see what the snow is like up there.

The trail was deeply rutted, hard and icy as it was in the shade, even once in the sun snow was rock hard and frozen and there was a keen wind blowing. I only climbed up a further 150m from the "wall" and decided was not worth it.

As I was coming back down a group or four kiters had arrived above the plateau and another group of ski tourers, who all knew each other and then as I very gingerly made my way back down the track, snow ploughs aplenty and using the banks of snow on the sides to slip down I came across two other groups of kite dudes, so they obviously knew that the snowpack would be better that much later.

Once back at the parking yet another kite dude turned up, he turned out to be Director of ESI in Puy so we had quite a nag about kiting and stuff though he thought he was now too late!

I've never seen so many people going up there, mind you would say that like the ESI guy many of the others during the season are probably working etc

Anyway dogs as ever had no complaints, but you can see it was windy Laughing

And that's what/where we refer to "Telly Tubby Land" in the background, Crête de Dormillouse.

So going to be interesting to see how the forecast pans out for this weekend's opening, currently, most forecast models are in agreement that we will see snow on Sunday, with heavier accumulations the further North you go up the valley and even more once over the Lautaret.

More immediately, will it be worth taking a chance on the Gardiole tomorrow?
latest report
So much better than yesterday Cool

Had a little chat with my friendly guide this morning to confirm my thought process who added some further valuable insights as to route selection choice up in the Tête Noire sector.

So ended up taking a slightly different route to the classic route, and as you can see we were blessed with a great creamy snowpack Cool

http://youtube.com/v/Bt3U4OPvR9I&feature=youtu.be
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy