Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Interesting Article re Guides and Airbags

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
https://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whistler/should-ski-guides-be-required-to-wear-avalanche-airbags/Content?oid=9358139&media=AMP%20HTML&__twitter_impression=true
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
interesting indeed, thanks for posting!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mmmm, not many hut to hut tour guides carry airbags, indeed they seem to advise against it on weight grounds. Maybe all have to go to the gym more.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bob's a little pessimistic on the weight thing though - the marginal weight of the lightest airbag is about a kilo.

The knee business is not a gym thing so much as a wear and tear issue. I suppose eventually they'll all be forced to use the things irrespective, like some other safety gear I shall not mention. I think the heli guys probably could carry less generally, if they were to accept a bit more reliance on the machine.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't have a personal opinion but chums in Cham tend to use them as risk = exposure*probability and as their exposure is so high (in terms of time spent off piste) mitigating the ultimate risk no matter how well you reduce the probability seems important.

Humans are crap at estimating risk however.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think the heli business is a little different, not that I'm arguing the case either way.

I've previously read the 2012 Worksafe BC report which is well worth a look although they should have much more data by now.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I should have been clearer I meant Guide chums in CHX and VdI. They also don’t have the shared group intel that BC has.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If I was guiding in alpine environments in BC I'd sure as hell be wearing an airbag. Cat skiing in tree terrain maybe not.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dave of the Marmottes, would you mandate them for your clients?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yep probably - I would hope and intend they never got to pull but if it's one thing that would mitigate a client death or a lawsuit can't see a downside. Trees change the equation though.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
From memory the 2012 report talks specifically about where the tree line is in attempting to explain differences in outcomes between the Alps and BC.

In standard conditions almost all of Bob's terrain has trees or other significant obstacles in it. His guests would not have it any other way.

My guess would be that Worksafe BC will mandate airbags at some point in the future, mostly for legal reasons.
The same thing happened with helmets a few years ago. They have had zero effect on the death rate, but lawyers like them.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pity they can't work out percentage increases though
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
IME most guides wear airbags for lift served (or heliserved) off piste.

I would too.

One of the points that I took away from "Staying alive in avalanche terrain" is in 90%+ of cases the skier who goes first gets caught by an avalanche. Guides go first all the time. Plus their clients often have poor avalanche rescue skills.

It's a no brainer I think.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy