Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer glacier skiing Les 2 Alpes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Off to stay in the campsite near Venosc next weekend.

Just looking for some advice to do a few mornings skiing on the glacier.

I see the lift from the valley to the main ski area doesn't open until 9 which would make us quite late for getting up the glacier. So looks like we'll have to drive round - anyone done this- and also anyone know if we will find suitable parking when we get there?

We'll be mostly mountain biking- so will use some of the lifts for bikes (we're more XC than downhillers) any advice on a multi activity lift pass?

And finally what do people usually wear for summer skiing? Do people just wear usual ski jackets and trousers as assuming its pretty chilly up there?

Any advice much appreciated Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MCL wrote:
Off to stay in the campsite near Venosc next weekend.

Just looking for some advice to do a few mornings skiing on the glacier.

I see the lift from the valley to the main ski area doesn't open until 9 which would make us quite late for getting up the glacier. So looks like we'll have to drive round - anyone done this- and also anyone know if we will find suitable parking when we get there?

We'll be mostly mountain biking- so will use some of the lifts for bikes (we're more XC than downhillers) any advice on a multi activity lift pass?

And finally what do people usually wear for summer skiing? Do people just wear usual ski jackets and trousers as assuming its pretty chilly up there?

Any advice much appreciated Madeye-Smiley

9am is ok, although you wouldn't be on the glacier until 10am and it is quite a trot from the Venosc lift to the glacier lift in ski year tbh. The lifts shut around 13h30 / 14h00 depending on the humour of the resort so you would get 3 hours skiing. You should wear ski gear but it is not cold at the moment. If you fall on snow/ice you can hurt yourself.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@MCL,
We went there quite a few years back now.
Don't remember any problems parking as the resort was very quiet though there could be a few queues on the glacier with Italian racers practicing.
From memory we wore ski clothes but mainly for protection.
The tourist office will.have details of passes, seem to remember you could get multi activity lift passes which gave you access to the lifts and some other activities like dry.luge and archery.
We used the lifts for walking and had a great time.
Hope you enjoy it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was there last summer for a few mornings of instructor training.

As T Bar says - parking will be fine.

As I recall you have to be off the glacier by midday, or maybe 12:30. I think the Jandri takes Joe public up from 7.30 (they let race coaches up a little earlier to set courses). It's a good half an hour up to the t-bar that then takes you up to the top.

It can be really quite chilly, especially earlier on, so yes - ski gear is in order. I went with base layer/t-shirt/soft shell jacket on top, and my usual ski trousers.

Lift pass wise, if I remember correctly, a six day glacier ski pass automatically included all the other activities, but not sure on shorter durations.

If you can get up nice and early it's amazing how rapidly the 'snow' changes from bullet proof ice to mush in a few hours, but even more amazing watching how the racers ski on all of it without missing a beat.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Was up there last week. Pistes hard packed and slightly icy early on, turning to slush later. Main T-Bar up the glacier from the top of the Jandri closed at 12, with the T-Bars serving the kickers and rails staying open until 13:00. Think the funicular let skiers up until 13:00 (longer for pedestrians). I was wearing usual trousers, t-shirt and a hoodie, might want something with a bit of wind proofing if there is a breeze.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Some reports the US ski team was training up there a few days ago, so part of the glacier may be roped off.

snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for replies everyone- think we’ll definitely drive round from campsite even though it’s a bit of a trek - we’ll probably only ski once or twice as lots of other stuff to do as well so want max time the days we do and not a big fan of long walks in ski boots.

Hoping to catch the Tour de France too

Been busy with moving house the last month so not had time to do my usual holiday planning - will have to rectify that this weekend

Any other must do recommendations or places to visit?

Better wax the skis too....feels a bit wrong in this weather Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

not a big fan of long walks in ski boots

Carry them up and change when you get up there - have an old back pack with you to dump your trainers etc near the top of the lift.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So much easier to wear trainers and take your boots up. You can change them on the terrace of the glacier restaurant, and usually leave your bag there too.
Ice caves under the glacier at La Grave are also worth a visit.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy