Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski socks

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at buying a couple of pairs. Any recommendations?

I did not realise they were so expensive and technical! I will be skiing a good number of days so should I avoid cheap rubbish? or does it not matter with socks?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It matters. Merino wool is good, you'll need socks that are thick or thin enough to match how you've got your boots fitted. Generally most folk these days go for thin socks. Falke, Teko, Smartwool are all pretty good. Avoid cheap tube socks. Last year I got a couple of pairs of Teko Freeride socks that I really like as a free gift with a subscription to the Fall Line magazine. I think that worked out cheaper than just buying the socks.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Teko socks are reasonably priced here - http://raijinsports.co.uk/

Sports Pursuit often as ski socks on special

These guys are having a ski sale at the moment - https://www.sailandski.co.uk/index.html
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Like who would buy these?

https://www.sailandski.co.uk/acatalog/Thermic-Heated-Powersocks---1200-Battery-17-18-36382.html#SID=8825
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ice breaker - they have a life time guarantee (in NZ at least) which they back Very Happy

I keep taking skanky old socks back to the shop and getting new ones Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Gear_Junkie, I looked at them when my toes were dropping off at -17...but I decided taking shelter was the better option. Bizarrely when I was caught out at -38 it was my hands that suffered, my toes and feet were fine. I'm still undecided.

You are not the target market for these
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bit more chat about ski socks here

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3119971
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Aldi do great bargains on excellent ski kit art the beginning of December each year. keep your eyes open
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Valkyrie wrote:
Generally most folk these days go for thin socks. Falke, Teko, Smartwool are all pretty good.

I much prefer thin socks for sure. I bought some really nice Italian ones in the shop in Alleghe (during PreBB 2017) which I liked so much that I bought another pair the following year.

What a lot of pro bootfitters say though, is to own both thick and thin socks. And something in between if poss. The logic being that your boot liners pack down during the week and don't reform fully, so wearing thicker socks in the latter half of the week will compensate for the packing out of the liner.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I use these. They are not well known (if at all) but are owned by a quality sock manufacturer.
https://sockmine.co.uk/collections/snowsports

They are thin, warm and very hard wearing. I got the superman socks as a joke but like them so much I put up with the slagging off. Happy

I've also got Falke and Smartwool. Both are good. So any on sale would be good.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Gear_Junkie, have a look out for the Aldi ski gear sale, normally in the autumn before the start of the season. I have a number of their Silk/Merino mix socks, they are absolutely superb and ridiculously cheap!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Gear_Junkie, merino is a popular choice for many (natural wicking, etc) bit make sure you can get on with them before buying a drawer full. Personally I can't get on with them (though I use merino as a torso base layer). I buy man made (generally Salomon) 'race' socks in the sales when I see them.
I run the thinnest sock I can, but as @dp says need somewhat thicker ones in the quiver for when the same boots get used over several consecutive days. If you're doing a season then your liners will also noticeably pack down during that season. Boot liners that came with your boots will only last maybe 100 days, aftermarket liners last a great deal longer (liners that come with boots but that are branded by the aftermarket manufacturers somewhere in between I reckon).
On the subject of liners packing down and as you plan to ski most days for a season then you should get something to dry (and in my opinion aerate) the liners every night as that helps recovery. I (and others on the forum) use a cold air blower that you leave blowing all night. They are great so long as you're not in a studio (where they may keep you awake).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@GlasgowCyclops, how do those "sockmine" socks compare with Falke SK4's? Any preference?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another thread from season just gone
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
After trying diffeent ski socks over the years my son just wears his ordinary socks, which he declares as fine. I want slightly longer and thinner socks than I normally wear.
ski holidays
Its ideas like this that are bringing the skiing industry to its knees.

How can it survive if we dont lust after the greatest (and expensive) new gear?
latest report
Thank you for the help. I went with 4 pairs of the smartwool phd light form sail and ski for £9.99 each. I have wide feet so wanted really thin socks to give me the most room possible.

I will also look out for some aldi pairs nearer the time. So that i don't have to wash my clothes every other day.
snow conditions
@andy1234, I prefer the sockmine ones because they are thinner than the Falke I have. They have similar shin padding. They are also the Superman socks so I obviously go faster. And if I didn't wear them Catwoman wouldn't let me go to an extra SH Bash Happy

They also have liner socks as well for cold days.
ski holidays
I've been using CEP socks over the past couple of years. For me they really work, seem to reduce leg fatigue.
snow report
Well my sail and ski purchase didnt go to plan. They only put 1 pair in the delivery instead of 4. So i have paid 40 for 1 pair of socks.

Also wasn't impressed by the socks either. They don't feel great, they are too tight around my calf and were too thick.

So back to the drawing board.Can anyone recommend some bamboo socks. I remember really liking them on my first season.
snow report
@Gear_Junkie, you can wear a pair of smartwool socks for 2 or 3 days. 4 pairs should be enough if you do a weekly wash
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Gear_Junkie, you can wear a pair of smartwool socks for 2 or 3 days. 4 pairs should be enough if you do a weekly wash

Or you can do the odd handwash during the week.
snow report
Four pairs of wool socks do me for a fortnight, no washing required. No bad smells at all. Mind you, I did once cycle 750 miles in one pair of cycling shorts so maybe I'm not the fussiest.
snow conditions
Falke
snow report
Valkyrie wrote:
Mind you, I did once cycle 750 miles in one pair of cycling shorts so maybe I'm not the fussiest.

And how long did it take to cure the fungal crotch rot Shocked ?
snow report
Masque wrote:
Valkyrie wrote:
Mind you, I did once cycle 750 miles in one pair of cycling shorts so maybe I'm not the fussiest.

And how long did it take to cure the fungal crotch rot Shocked ?

No ill effects, although I had to wash the shorts twice before they were properly clean. Since that ride I now always put on clean shorts every 600km.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy