Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 18/19 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Think you mean clockwise round highs (northern hemisphere ).
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Matrski wrote:
DanishRider wrote:
Don’t know if it helps, but Danish models suggest a Scandinavian High Happy

I always knew Helena would make a good weather girl! Toofy Grin

How did I not see that one coming ? Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My understanding is that high pressure over europe is the default year round set up, with the alps at only 45-47 degrees latitude, and on the western end of a large land mass. Historically in autumn I believe the Azores high tends to migrate from nearer the bermuda triangle north east to europe, so we often have an atlantic ridge reaching into France, and blocking weather from the west. I find we often get better low pressure set ups in aug/sep more so than early winter (as the azores high is parked further west late summer). This particular high pressure limpet also morphs into a central euro high.

This year is different, since about April we've seen high pressure anomalies either from France up to Scandi, or more recently eastern europe up to Scandi. The problem is the high never gets far enough north to be cut off. We need to see it further up over Norway for easterlies, or further NW towards Greenland for northerlies, very broadly speaking. If the high doesn't get cut off, it just sinks back into central europe. You can see the affect this currently has....below ensembles show mild and very dry conditions out to nov 20th. But after that, there is consensus for a steady drop in temps.

GFS 00z shows want we need to see to undercut the scandi high and isolate it. Then even further out FV3 shows what can happen if the gap is kept open, we could get the best of both worlds with weather systems from the west meeting cold air from the east, right over the alps. Note - these 2 charts are just for illustration, there's only a tiny chance that they would be right 300+ hours away, and there are many far worse options also out there.

latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
These explanations were all very interesting! Normally I check in and just glaze over when I see all the charts and graphs Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@esaw1, d'oh, yes!! (Have edited the post now)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ECM 12z again sees high pressure building over Scandinavia, which would draw colder air from the east across the Alps.

snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
denfinella wrote:
@sbooker, it's not a freak event but we don't want the current weather pattern to carry on too long as it's stopping cold air, and fronts, from getting near the Alps.

High pressure somewhere over Europe isn't necessarily a bad thing. But it depends on where it's centred, as it dictates the wind direction in the areas around it - winds go clockwise around highs. This might already be obvious, but northerlies / easterlies usually bring cold air to the Alps, westerlies are warmer but usually wet or snowy, while southerlies are too warm (at this time of year) and often dry (with some exceptions).

A high further north could put the Alps in a colder easterly flow, for example, which I think is what the chart above illustrates. High pressure right over the Alps is less good for cold air or snowfall as air masses can't encroach from anywhere else.

(Have I got that right?! Laughing )

Thanks.
A bit different to my local weather systems.
For a start our highs have anti clockwise wind. And our cold fronts are non existent. Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Parts of the US also playing the waiting game...

http://wasatchweatherweenies.blogspot.com/2018/11/a-realistic-pessimist.html?m=1
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Both GFS and ECM now suggesting colder than average temperatures for the time of year in the last week of November.

Though at present it is still looking quite dry.

[img]https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_960w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2016/01/28/Production/Outlook/Images/AP321028026.jpg&w=480[/img]
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Both GFS and ECM now suggesting colder than average temperatures for the time of year in the last week of November.

Though at present it is still looking quite dry...

https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_960w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2016/01/28/Production/Outlook/Images/AP321028026.jpg&w=480
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nozawaonsen wrote:

You can say that again.....

ECM Op on the mild side of it's ensembles, so likely to be colder than it's showing. GFS (P) 06z another good run for lowering heights over alps. But concerned at the ECM longer term view, the avg ens show the high slowly moving west over UK, even out to end of month. Link to latest EC 46 day model below. Still, time is on our side, it could look very different in a few days.

http://brunnur.vedur.is/kort/ec-ens/2018/11/08/00/ec-ens_nat_taem_msl_anom.html
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Matrski wrote:
DanishRider wrote:
Don’t know if it helps, but Danish models suggest a Scandinavian High Happy

I always knew Helena would make a good weather girl! Toofy Grin

There must be a pun in there about a warm front, but I think I'd better just get my coat and leave! Toofy Grin

At least the Danish model humour is keeping the mood light as we await the signs of winter's approach! wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Need snow in Espace Killy by november 29 - Danish models or not ! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
GFS predicts blocking over Europe should slide up, leading to cold temperatures and snow across the Alps.
https://twitter.com/judah47/status/1061602575181643777
snow report
Currently looking like a big shift to colder than average temperatures from 19/20 November. No snow at present, but all to play for...

ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
Currently looking like a big shift to colder than average temperatures from 19/20 November. No snow at present, but all to play for...

By no snow at present do you mean there’s no snow associated with the temp drop or something simpler?
snow conditions
nozawaonsen wrote:

At least they may start the cannons. Saw on cams that they’d tried this probably 3 weeks ago on upper slopes in Ischgl.
snow conditions
Very early snowmaking in the US is often called "blowing the mice out of the system".

Unless you have a World Cup ski race coming up (like Killington, Vermont, USA in two weeks), the long range forecasts and the finance department have an influence.
snow conditions
@südtirolistdeutsch, I meant there are much colder temperatures forecast, but for now that also means very dry. Cold air from the east, but not carrying much in the way of moisture.
ski holidays
The temperatures dropping before the snow comes will probably make the avalanche situation safer in the long run.
ski holidays
Two years ago the Espace Killy had reasonable snow high up but nothing low down. The resort did a superb job with the snow making, making it possible to ski down to the bottom in all areas.
snow report
Looks like it should be cold enough to get the guns running at the weekend.

Should be enough to get a few runs open for the openings a couple of weeks later..

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 12-11-18 20:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Certainly for Tignes they will try to get Double M going with the cannon.
Seen it worse in Mid-90s in mid-Dec. Only possible places were from top of the Grand Motte and top of the Val D'Isere Glacier. All else was Green.
snow report
Well this would bring snow if it developed as low pressure pushed across the Alps.

However, it’s a bit of a long shot given it’s just the op run that goes for it. Maybe interesting if it builds any form of support today.
latest report
I got so distracted by UKMO and ECM that I've left my coffee go cold. Huge improvement overnight, as there's more of a westerly influence, while keeping the cold easterly feed as well.
Could it come as early as next Tuesday?

Lot's of differences across the models at just T+144, but the big 3 are looking good.

Longer term signs of SSW continue to build after all the warm air pumped up via scandi high, and looks like AO and NAO about to nose dive.
latest report
Worth noting that the extreme range (19/20th) of the Bergfex forecast is calling for 25-35cm of snow in Tignes, Obergurgl, Alta Badia, Livigno, and St. Moritz while Cervinai may see up to 50 with Zermatt reaching 70cm

What model does Bergfex use?
snow report
südtirolistdeutsch wrote:
Worth noting that the extreme range (19/20th) of the Bergfex forecast is calling for 25-35cm of snow in Tignes, Obergurgl, Alta Badia, Livigno, and St. Moritz while Cervinai may see up to 50 with Zermatt reaching 70cm

I have always found yr.no quite decent & seem to show the same as Bergfex
I believe YR uses a few different models for their algorithms.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bergfex (austria) and YR (norway) are both associated with ECM data. Their respective national weather institutes partner with ECMWF, so no doubt they will add their own minor influence on the raw data, but essentially the same.
latest report
südtirolistdeutsch wrote:

I can't recall what Bergfex use. I think ZAMg uses ECMWF and Snoweforecast.com uses GFS

Looking at the GFS ensembles for ALta badia, I can't see anything that would suggest 25-35cm on the 19th/20th. Only one member run has any significant precipitaton between the 21st and 24th but this has no support. However interesting times coming I feel for end of November. Certainly starting to look cooler which should allow the snow cannons to begin
snow report
Yes, Second half of November looking colder than usual which should allow them to get the snow cannons working in Alta Badia.
snow report
How about this for an upgrade on GFS over the last 12 hours.....12z on left, 00z on right... 10 day snow. Numbers not important, just the scope of change....

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 13-11-18 9:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
long way away.....but better than seeing constant HP in charge
snow report
06z GFS sticking to its guns.

Far FI shows some intriguing options.

latest report
nozawaonsen wrote:
06z GFS sticking to its guns.

Far FI shows some intriguing options.

Would this be cold and wet instead of cold and dry?
ski holidays
ooh look at the high pressure move out of the way towards Greenland. GFS 12z starting earlier, though still 10 days out

should add it's out on it's own at the moment, nothing similar on FV3 or GEM
snow report
@südtirolistdeutsch, yes cold and very snowy. Big if and far to far out to have confidence in. But.
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
@südtirolistdeutsch, yes cold and very snowy. Big if and far to far out to have confidence in. But.

But...the same doubts were had for the 2-3M of snow forecasted for Zermatt 2 weeks ahead of time wink
snow conditions
@südtirolistdeutsch, doubts are always worth having about any forecast two weeks in advance. Doesn’t mean it won’t prove correct.
ski holidays
At least there is hope though snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy