Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

April skiing near Salzburg

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So if I get flights to Salzburg for 5th - 13th April. Am I likely to find good snow at a resort in reasonable transfer from there?

Also how easy is it to get last minute accommodation for that week in that region.... so that we can book somewhere which has decent snow left?

Thanks all
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obertauern may be you best option but who knows how the weather will be ?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agree about Obertauern but it is likely to be rather later for most of the other nearby resorts. Why are you fixed on flying into Salzburg? Zürich might be better (Innsbruck even more so but not many flights), relatively easy access to the Arlberg or Ischgl or Serfaus other Austrian options might be Obergürgl / Solden or resorts with glaciers eg Stubaital or Zillertal. Given how late in the season it will be but still before Easter booking accommodation should be no big issue.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am looking at purchasing flights via the Flightpass deal Snowdave was telling us about. We want Salzburg flights for half term which gives us a second set of flights. It is cheaper if we use that to the same destination... or we could pay more and have the second set to Austria / Swiss zone, which is still good value but is more. So I am exploring the options of keeping same airport to have a second easter week. Happy

Found some very cheap accommodation for that week around the region but not sure how snow sure any will be.... searching here I found myself asking just that years ago for zell am see for that same week and being warned off it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kaprun, surely.

Late Easter next year, Easter Sunday is 21st April. So Austrian resorts that normally close end of march might still be holding on. People will be aiming higher though so I would think places like Kitzsteinhorn Kaprun could get busy. Hintertux also not a bad journey from Salzburg. I don't think there will be trouble getting accommodation though.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Zell am See is one of the easiest places to get to via a train or bus from Salzburg, then you could easily get to Kaprun.

You can rely on Kaprun in April and its on the same list pass as Zell, if they season gets extended.

Where else?
I've never been to the Dachstien, so I have no idea.

Yes I'd go to Kaprun or Zell if snow lasts.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kitz will still be open then. The problem with planning a Kaprun type trip then is that if the other resorts are closed, then the glacier will be manic. We will still have skiing then on
a limited scale, but normally more than enough . And if its really bad, then Kaprun/Hintertux is only an hour to one and an hour and a half to the other. But Id be reasonably confident we will still be open on the 5th April next year.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Early to mid April is very unlikely to see any sort of decent conditions in places like Zell, S-H or SkiAmade. Kitzbühel likes to claim it is open from the end of October to mid April but that is based on a couple of lifts at Pass Thurn, by early April most of the rest of the area is likely to be struggling. The problem with glacier areas is that they are small, no great variety and not nice places to be if the weather is poor. All this said you might be lucky with conditions and weather and given the late Easter many places will put in extra efforts to keep things open. There will be lots of choice with late booking accommodation, so should be easy to wait until last minute to book. If you have to book a bit in advance Obertauern is probably the best option as most of the (fairly small) resort is likely to be open
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That used to be the case, but the last couple of years they have kept the Flek open, and the runs over to Steinbergkogel. More than just a couple if you include Ochsalm. But with everything else, its all a matter of what you want out of a skiing holiday so late in the season. Sitting around in the sunshine having lunch and relaxing on a sun lounger can be just as relaxing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks very much for the advice, looking at these and realising that St Anton as not too much over 3hrs drive, and Mayrhofen is showing as 2hrs 12mins according to google maps. I have booked the flight pass option just to Salzburg, I will need to decide which Easter holiday week to book just before half term but sounds like I should be able to decide exactly which resort to go to a lot closer dependent on snow.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@NickyJ, you’ll find lots of places with availability. If the snow is there they’re also likely to be open. Conditions have been pretty good at that time the last few years. Lots of areas start to close around Easter, but not sure of closing dates with Easter being late.

You’ll find something and at least having the flights means you’ll have the freedom to choose closer to the time.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spotting another thread talking about Wagrain for the second week of the Easter school holidays (we can fly out then instead of the first week if we chose), that does have the advantage of only using 4 days leave and also coming back to two days off before having to go back to school / work, however is a week later which I know can make quite a big difference.

Sounds like Wagrain could be a good shout as well?

What are peoples thoughts on Bad Gastein? Seen what looks like bargain deal to there.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gastein was good last Easter, crap the year before.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Obertauern.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy