Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Basecamp vs ICE vs snowskool vs wintersport

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone, I am new to here and is looking for advices on choosing the right snowboard instructor course, really appreciate if anyone could share your experience or provide more information for my decision making!!

My target: Obtain BASI snowboard instructor level 1 & 2 qualification in Jan 2019; seek for a job in Europe; go for level 3/higher level in the future.

I have been searching for the courses. They all seems similar to me: cost, location, programme design, career support, etc. I really can't tell the difference e.g. the teaching style; which course is more serious and job-oriented. I am currently waiting for my visa and won't be able to visit the course centre in person. Could anyone please advice if the following courses are suitable for me and their pros & cons may be?

1. Basecamp
11 weeks BASI snowboard instructor level 1 & 2 @ Méribel

2. ICE
10 weeks BASI snowboard instructor level 1 & 2 @ Val d'Isère

3. Wintersport
10 weeks BASI snowboard instructor level 1 & 2 @ Tignes

4. Snowskool
12 weeks BASI snowboard instructor level 1 & 2 @ 3 Valleys

My background: age 29; Asian; have experience in board sports therefore I chose snowboard not ski; will be holding the working-holiday visa and speak basic Français; open to any job opportunities in resorts.

My plan: I am planning to go to France in August to practise snowboarding for at least 2 months as a preparation to the course and to be familiar with the surrounding as I have never been to any mountains in Europe.

Thank you for reading all of these and kindly share something if possible. I came from the other half of the world with limited budget so this decision is crucial to my life and I am determined to get the qualification. DEEP BIG THANKS again!! snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Autumnsnow wrote:
My plan: I am planning to go to France in August to practise snowboarding for at least 2 months
This won't be possible as none of the French glacier resorts will be open in August through until the end of September.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Where do you want to teach and can you ski? You will struggle to get a full season job as just a snowboard instructor at BASI 2 level, so you'd really need a second discipline (ie skiing). Maybe also consider the Anwaerter course that Ski Instructor Academy offer in Austria, and they do offer a dual course that can get you both the skin and snowboard Anwaerter which allows you to teach the same as a BASI 2 instructor (anywhere other than France, that's a while different ball game).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar wrote:
Autumnsnow wrote:
My plan: I am planning to go to France in August to practise snowboarding for at least 2 months
This won't be possible as none of the French glacier resorts will be open in August through until the end of September.

Thanks for your reply. I target to practise for 2 months before joining the course, Oct to Dec will do if there are no resort Sad I just want to arrive earlier, to walk around and practise also my François too.

I thought Tignes and Val d'Isère offer summer ski pass (Jun-Aug)?

https://en.tignes.net/what-to-see-do/skiing/summer-skiing
https://www.valdisere.com/en/activites/summer-skiing/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Autumnsnow wrote:

Your Tignes link states that it will only be open until 5th August.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Autumnsnow wrote:

I thought you were arriving in August? Depending on conditions and the weather Tignes will close early August, and will not be open in September. It will re-open again in early October, with a few pistes on the glacier, then the report itself will open last weekend in November (depending on snow conditions).

Can I ask, how much boarding experience do you have?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sitter wrote:
Where do you want to teach and can you ski? You will struggle to get a full season job as just a snowboard instructor at BASI 2 level, so you'd really need a second discipline (ie skiing). Maybe also consider the Anwaerter course that Ski Instructor Academy offer in Austria, and they do offer a dual course that can get you both the skin and snowboard Anwaerter which allows you to teach the same as a BASI 2 instructor (anywhere other than France, that's a while different ball game).

Thanks for your information.
I know it is hard to get a job in France but I will set it as my target to teach in Europe esp. in German & French speaking countries therefore BASI is my choice. I did look into dual courses too but they are either snowboard lv 1 &2/ ski lv 1&2/ dual lv 1 in CASI/SBINZ. Understanding the demand for ski instructor may be higher, I myself do not have experience in ski therefore I would focus on the qualification in snowboard first (I have a bit more confidence in it..) and try skiiing during the course period to see if I could also obtain the ski qualification too. In the future I would definitely go for more qualifications, BASI level 1 & 2 is just the beginning!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
Autumnsnow wrote:

I thought you were arriving in August? Depending on conditions and the weather Tignes will close early August, and will not be open in September. It will re-open again in early October, with a few pistes on the glacier, then the report itself will open last weekend in November (depending on snow conditions).

Can I ask, how much boarding experience do you have?

Thanks for your reminder! I should pencil down the resort opening dates & condition. I have not planned my trip in details yet, choosing the right course is my main concern and priority as I will stay in the course resort for the practise.

I have been surfing and riding longboard (downhill skateboarding) for 2.5 years, not an expert but familiar with slopes, speed, crash and the muscles control. Honestly I only tried snowboard for a few days in Japan before (self-learn), I feel similar to the other board sports, including the turns, motions, or jumping and I managed to ride the intermediate slopes at that time. But I definitely need more preparation and experience before I could become an instructor.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Autumnsnow wrote:
I have been surfing and riding longboard (downhill skateboarding) for 2.5 years, not an expert but familiar with slopes, speed, crash and the muscles control. Honestly I only tried snowboard for a few days in Japan before (self-learn)
Do the courses you are looking at have a minimum entry standard of snowboarding ability? I'm not familiar with the boarding gap courses, but the skiing courses I know all require a minimum level of experience or ability. It's not especially high, but it is more than just a few days self-taught experience. You might want to find out about that before making firm plans.

Have you looked at any courses in Switzerland? It is normally a bit easier to get work as a Level 2 instructor there than in France.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes I believe their minimum requirement is to feel comfortable on blue runs. That is exactly why I am going to practise for 2 months before joining the course (but I now need to pay the deposit to secure a place so I have to decide which course to join now). I will attend clinic or personal training if needed! Switzerland is also my goal too unfortunately there is no BASI course in Switzerland.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Autumnsnow wrote:
Switzerland is also my goal too unfortunately there is no BASI course in Switzerland.
I think Altitude Ski & Board School in Verbier run snowboard gap courses.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi Autumnsnow. I deliver the training for the Snowskool course in Meribel, so happy to answer any questions about that.
Just to clarify the course runs from January to March. The resort opens the second week of December so you could get nearly an month of practise and some additional tuition before the course if you came then, which you would likely need if you have only done a few days.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Get some formal tuition if you haven't had any, it will be much more valuable than just practicing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
check out snoworks in tignes
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ajc2260626 wrote:
check out snoworks in tignes
They don't do snowboarding.
ski holidays
I would suggest you get some lessons instead of going out and just "riding" or "practicing". It will help you get the hang of technique, lingo, terminology that you will have to pass onto others. You also will not be able to properly practice skills when you have no diea what the specific skill sets are. I say this having done CSIA Level 1 and training for Level 2 and watched "competent ski all piste self taught skiers".
snow conditions
For info OP, i was on the Swiss Snowsports directors course recently, 95pc of all lessons sold were ski. 5pc was snowboarding or télémark, Nordic etc.

Bear that in mind when choosing snowboarding, no one does it any more or if they do, they get to the point of turning left and right and don’t take more lessons. There is t the same culture of perfectionnent in sb.

All the sb instructors I know spend more time getting stoned than teaching.

Ps. You don’t necessarily need t do a gap. You could do a season in a resort and get to the same level, take the exams independently with a few lessons from local trainers.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy