Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Concept 2 rowing machine wanted

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone got one collecting dust?

Ideally in or near Essex.
snow report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Apologies for taking this slightly off-topic... I'd be interested to know which rowing machines you've used (if any) and how they compare. I broke my ancient magnetic type recently, so I'd borrowed a cheap 'fixed arm' air cylinder type from a friend, but that just gave me backache as it didn't seem to allow me to row with the correct posture/technique. I'd just blown the equivalent to a (new) Concept 2 on new skis and other gear (priorities, right?!), so I decided to opt for a new JLL R200 and I'm pretty pleased with it so far. However, I don't think I've ever used a Concept 2 at the gym but they seem to be the popular home brand of choice (i.e. rare to find one second-hand at much less than the new price). How much better is it?

Good luck with your search, and if I see one advertised I'll certainly let you know! wink
snow report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Amunah wrote:
I don't think I've ever used a Concept 2 at the gym

I think those are the only rowing machines I've used at a gym! Some of them pretty old so I reckon they must be pretty robust.
snow conditions     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Amunah, When we replaced our cheap one a couple of years ago, Concept2 were the market leader but too expensive. As you say, they are still expensive second hand. We got a Water Rower instead, which is still good and robust, but less than half the price. Also, you can get user-serviceable spares for it fairly easily if it you need them.
ski holidays     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've had a Concept 2 for maybe 20 years and it's still going strong. And not for sale. I've used a few other machines at gyms, but these are by far the most popular machines in gyms I've uses. They're also what you'll find in the boaty places around here, for good reason.

It all depends on your philosophy - sure, the headline price is probably more than a whole stable of toy fashion machines, but then you only need one of these, ever.
ski holidays     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was watching eBay for a week and the price of used ones (latest model) was too close to new, so last weekend I bought a new one. £849 at Decathlon (Lakeside, for me). I looked at a few others but all of the gyms I've been to have Concept2s and the user weight at 225kg is pretty much double most of the cheaper rivals. That build quality is why they hold their value so well. I bought a model D which has the latest PM5 display. This has ANT+ and Bluetooth, so syncs with my Garmin HRM and phone apps for analysing and recording progress.

So, on to using it... It's the nuts! I'm just doing 20 minutes each morning but plan some longer sessions this weekend.

By joining the Decathlon member club, type thing, I can return it for a full refund at any time up to one year after purchase, for any reason. This is my back-stop in case I didn't get on with it, but I have already started a routine for using it and am determined to continue. My current motivation is losing another 3-4kg of fat, putting on more shoulder muscle and being fit for a windsurfing holiday in September.
latest report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It might not be any use but I have a water-rower that's been collecting dust for 10 years.

https://www.waterrower.co.uk/uk/shop/classic-rowing-machine.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwgYPZBRBoEiwA2XeupVpmG3nx2ahS6AGE_yuWFiN5JngMgbHM590g9giLnTvusN1-c6-UORoCPdYQAvD_BwE
snow report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

think those are the only rowing machines I've used at a gym!

+1
ski holidays     

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy