Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weirdest thing / situation you witnessed on the slopes?

Poster: A snowHead
@johnE, It wouldn’t seem that unusual in their own apartment, but in a hotel...?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I know it has been posted before, but I want to see this cat -
http://youtube.com/v/u7ekWeSmWYQ
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@PowderAdict, That's great! Very Happy

How about some snowboarding dogs.... Madeye-Smiley

http://youtube.com/v/bdw4HPzKlgE
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name wrote:
@bar shaker, I've heard that story countless times, probably first time in 1988 when one of my chalet girls claimed it had happened to her. So either it's an oft repeated urban myth (disappointing) or it's a fairly frequent "accident"*

* See what I did there?

You bit too soon Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Maybe but not weird (a great memory infact) but would be perceived dodgy and against all rules of the sensible nanny state world we live in today. .

Kitzbuhel - circa 1985 - ski school, and the weather was really bad. The ski instructor had got sick of us wannabe 13/14yr old racers (on ridiculously long and skinny Atomic ARC's) moaning about being restricted to skiing 'in formation' and made the sensible decision to stop off for lunch in his favourite stuberl . . .

Lunch became an elongated affair as he yakked and chain smoked rollies with his leather skinned mates in the corner and it looked like skiing was cancelled for the day as the snow was hammering down / total white out conditions. Being young keen and reckless we were all itching to continue (god know why as goggle tech was rubbish in those days, or at least mine were) and the moaning continued . . .he then appeared at our table with 2 small glasses of schnapps each and commanded us to down them immediately . . .which we did (we did as we were told beck then). We were then instructed to get outside, walk around the back of the hut and buckle up.

With all of our virgin heads spinning on the alchohol, what looked like an ominous field of fresh powder seemed like an easy challenge (although none of us had really been off-piste before) so we dutifully dropped in as requested. Each of us slowly realised the severity of the slope and the fact that we weren't really adept at leaning back enough to raise the tips of our skinny skis above the deep snow line let alone attempt to turn. . .at speed and one by one we all crashed like flies, legs & arms flaying about and skis and poles missing in the arctic looking abyss . . .

No-one got injured . . .we were all laughing afterwards. How many counts of illegal / irresponsible behaviour would that ski instructor be up for these days? Prison perhaps? We all thought he was a god!

Lesson learned and I stand by it to this day - never rush lunch when skiing . . .especially in a white out. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ster wrote:
Whilst at a snowdome (does this count?) saw a "skier" struggling to get their boots into their bindings at the bottom of the slope. As I slid past they asked if I could help. I took a look and advised that they should turn their skis around so the more pointy end was in front of them not behind them then they would find that they would have an easier job clicking in.

God help them if they ever got to the top of the slope.

My client were a little smarter. She asked me which boot is left and which is right, BEFORE she started to try them on her kid.

(I also got the same question from my girl friend on our first "let's try skiing" day)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not actually on the slopes but one of my students managed to put on 2 left ski boots and had no idea that he had achieved it. He was also selected for special 1 : 1 lessons......can think why. Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skiing while an Earthquake was happening in Chile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Halfway down a piste, girlfriend was dying to go, no cover nearby but visibility was poor and misty so I suggested she went to the edge of the piste where she couldn't be spotted.

Then suddenly heard much laughter and catcalls, she had gone under a chairlift which we hadn't seen or heard, when suddenly the mist cleared just as she was doing her business, she was not a happy bunny

On another occasion the wife got caught in a strong gust of wind which inflated her jacket like a parachute, she literally took off for about 10 metres and was buried in a deep mound of snow. She was not moving so a group of us bushwacked through the deep snow to rescue her, only to find her laughing her head off and wanting to repeat the experience!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Saw this on Sunday - the latest style of impact shorts.....

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@hang11, apparently the 'being humped by a turtle look' is in this year then. Toofy Grin Twisted Evil
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I encountered a woman wearing a full Burka skiing down from the Varet bubble in Les Arcs 2 seasons ago. She looked fairly impressive when it caught the wind.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@admin, Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@adithorp, Puzzled
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@adithorp, pleased you're thinking about me but Puzzled
ski holidays
Just answering the original Q.
ski holidays
rolling eyes
latest report
I got 'shouted at' by an instructor for skiing too fast. Well, it was the women's world cup run in Sestriere and maybe he shouldn't have taken his snowploughing snake class down it.... Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

Well, it was the women's world cup run

assuming the piste wasn't closed for competition, I'm not sure why that was strange?
snow conditions
jedster wrote:
Quote:

Well, it was the women's world cup run

assuming the piste wasn't closed for competition, I'm not sure why that was strange?

Wouldn't you expect people to be shifting a bit on a WC run? And maybe NOT take a beginner class down a black (probably, at least a hard red)?
ski holidays
Quote:

Wouldn't you expect people to be shifting a bit on a WC run?

It's only a WC run when it is closed and prepared. Otherwise it is just a piste like any other
ski holidays
Yes, but not a beginners one, and you'd expect people to be skiing fast on it.
snow report
@martinm, did the instructor shout at you for just skiing too fast. Or for skiing too fast too close to his group?
latest report
@martinm,

Fast is fine as long as you leave appropriate space between you and other skiers. The faster you go - the more space you need to leave.
If a ski instructor called you out (given that he will have plenty of experience of skiing faster than you) then it is very likely that you should respect his judgement that you were too close for the speed you were travelling.

I ski fast at times but I don't think that being on a black run reduces my responsibility to be courteous and safe.
Sometimes I have made mistakes and get close enough to worry a nervous skier. I feel bad about that. If I was called on it by ski instructor my starting point would be to reassess my decisions.
latest report
so......

After much sh1ts n giggles at Jerry's novel butt protection idea last weekend, turns out that they really are a thing.....

Today Jerry needed turtle knee protection for skiing......

Seems to be a thing with Chinese tourists. So I googled it. Someone is making a killing at 60 bux a butt!!!!

https://www.dhgate.com/store/product/tailbone-hip-protection-turtle-ladybug-cushion/409459022.html
snow conditions
jedster wrote:
I ski fast at times but I don't think that being on a black run reduces my responsibility to be courteous and safe.
.. If I was called on it by ski instructor my starting point would be to reassess my decisions.

(that was an excellent Pouilly-Fumé, expensive, but not at all bad)

Well in North America at least if you're on an expert run it's reasonable to expect people to be travelling at "expert" speeds. Carefully and with consideration, but none the less, that's the deal with expert runs.
Ski instructors... they're not the ski patrol, and although they may seem impressive to beginners, they're driving instructors not F1 drivers.

If I was yelled at by an instructor I'd assess what I'd done, precisely, but instructors are no different from anyone else.
snow report
As I outlined earlier in this thread some instructors are clearly hair trigger pricks. Unfortunately if they are local pricks you are highly unlikely to prevail in any argument with them. This leads to the inconsiderate I'll just ski my snake onto this run without looking with no consideration that it'll string out for 50m because I am instructor= god.
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, reference my interaction with an Italian ski instructor in Livigno. He was stopped with his student in the middle of the piste so I displayed my displeasure by spraying them with a big wave of snow (I do believe this is the correct action to take?!). Only problem was that his student was "quite pretty" and he wasn't best pleased about me mugging him off in front of her, so he chased me down.

Ski instructor: You skied too close to me and my client
Me: I didn't ski too close to you. I was a long way from you. I sprayed you with snow because you were stopped in the middle of a piste behind a blind spot and it was dangerous
Ski instructor: Yes you are right and I am sorry, but I am an instructor so you are wrong

Solid logic.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interesting. I guess it depends on your perspective. From my (mostly North American) angle, they're employees and therefore need to be very careful about how they behave. I think if you're going to spray people you don't approve of with snow then you're asking for trouble: the ski patrol is responsible for all that stuff, not customers.

However the fact that someone's an instructor/ guide/ resort staff makes them more not less vulnerable in my view. Just take names and numbers and make a formal complaint.
ski holidays
@philwig, That might work in N America although I suspect even in corporate resorts there will be closing ranks. In a Euro resort the word of a tourist against a long term local who may or may not take his genepi/ schnapps with head fuzz - good luck with that.
snow report
My favourite was when a good friend, decent skier, a bit hungover got to the bottom of Grands Montets from the chalet and said she couldn’t understand why her ski boots were so uncomfortable that morning. She had them on the wrong feet! I can’t imagine how...clipped up and everything! Laughing
snow conditions
Teenage me sticking both gloved hands in air and having the gloves’ metal zippers vibrate furiously whilst on Mount Parnasos in Greece - errrr, during an electrical storm. Fantastically eerie feeling now matched with enormous relief at not having won a Darwin Award that year.
ski holidays
A guy I need his late 20’s/ early 30’s a couple of years ago skiing along (badly) with a huge speaker on his back playing music, loads of people just stopped and shook their heads and laughed! He was oblivious!
ski holidays
Also in Val D’Isere back in the 90’s - a EDF ski instructor stood at the top of the lift on the glacier with ski school party of kids behind in a large group asking everyone who came off the lift if they’d seen one of his party, apparently he hadn’t seen the child for ages and realised it was missing when he’d done a random headcount. Never did find out whether the kid turned up, Shocked
snow report
@Markymark29, EDF? Indidn’t know the leccy board had their own ski school? wink
ski holidays
Clearly wasn't a ski instructor; just a bloke looking after the dam? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:

Well in North America at least if you're on an expert run it's reasonable to expect people to be travelling at "expert" speeds.

I think it is utter guff to talk about black runs as "expert" terrain. What proportion of people who ski them could reasonably be described as experts?
snow conditions
I love the word "guff"
latest report
jedster wrote:
Quote:

Well in North America at least if you're on an expert run it's reasonable to expect people to be travelling at "expert" speeds.

I think it is utter guff to talk about black runs as "expert" terrain. What proportion of people who ski them could reasonably be described as experts?

Expert speeds on a double black might be quite slow because it might be a sketchy ass chute or have cliff bands to negotiate.

Skiing black groomers is just skiing groomers until they are icy or injected or whatever. It's a tiny part of "expert" skiing.
ski holidays
Mate of mine put on his ski jacket and skied all day with no problems except when he got back to the chalet he mentioned that his jacket was a bit tighter than usual. On taking his jacket off he realised the problem, the coat hanger was still attached
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy