Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski areas like courchevel - funnel like?

Poster: A snowHead
I realise this is a strange question. We absolutely love skiing in courchevel but were wondering what other areas we could look at that might have a similar kind of lay out.

We love that you can ski straight back to your apartment from most places on the Courchevel mountain. I get a bit uncomfortable skiing to areas where i know i need to get a lift to get back 'home' at the moment.

This is an anxiety / panic issue that has reared its head for the past couple of years. I found skiing in Courchevel this year the most comfortable i have been for years. Knowing that we could ski home at any point made a massive difference.

So I guess im looking for a funnel like resort with plenty of options within that 'funnel'.

Thank you!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
La Toussuire / Les Sybelles.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mottaret, all pistes come back to centre
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@breeze11, not quite sure what you mean, as you presumably can’t ski back to Courchevel from Meribel without taking a lift?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:
@breeze11, not quite sure what you mean, as you presumably can’t ski back to Courchevel from Meribel without taking a lift?

We only ski within the Courchevel area, not the 3 valleys. This year we stayed in 1550 which was perfect for skiing back to.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@BoardieK, @skimottaret, thank you, i will have a look at those areas now.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Zermatt
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A few thoughts/questions

#1 Do you have an issue during the day or is this anxiety just something that comes when you time constraints start to kick in later in the day?

#2 In terms of value for money I'm not sure going to big interlinked makes sense if you are unable to fully utilise the domain.

#3 And as a consequence of #2 have you looked at smaller resorts. As a recall La Norma you would be able to return to no matter where you were.

#4 It's fairly rare to be able to ski back from absolutely anywhere. Most places have little offshoots and dead ends.

#5 Maybe you are tackling this slightly wrongly. Base yourself somewhere with some great home runs that offer you great skiing later in the day but get up early and use the morning/lunchtime period to explore the outer reaches. Giving yourself plenty of time to return to your home run area.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@breeze11, not been but Flaine is a big bowl
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@breeze11, not been but Flaine is a big bowl
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Les Deux Alpes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
leggyblonde wrote:
Les Deux Alpes

I'm puzzled by the constraint as why constrain yourself more than necessary - isn't it enough that you can get back to your accomodation easily. But L2A is a good test case. Technically everything is accessible from the top of the main side, in practice much less is directly accessible by an easy run of the type OP is talking about?

Otherwise what about Val Thorens as a test case - almost no where meets the directly situated on the main run criterion but almost everything accessible from a lift that runs late in the day (til 5.15) Admittedly a ballache if you miss that last uplift
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
valloire
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whistler, but I'd work around the issue some other way. The "funnel" design is actually poor from a traffic management point of view..
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Themasterpiece, Flaine is a big bowl but not everyrun drains back home.

I’m with Layne, why pay the (presumed) premium for a big linked area and not use it Puzzled
snow report
breeze11 wrote:
... We only ski within the Courchevel area, not the 3 valleys. This year we stayed in 1550 which was perfect for skiing back to.

In Courchevel do you restrict yourselves to the slopes immediately above 1550/1850? (Since 1650 / La Tania / Le Praz would all requires lifts, or bus, to get back). If so then that is only around half of Courchevel, and as others have said you might be as happy in a much smaller resort.

Somewhere like Saas-Fee would probably fit the "can always get home without a lift" criterion, but you would still have a walk to your accommodation.
snow report
Alpe d'Huez ?
snow report
ecureuil wrote:
Somewhere like Saas-Fee would probably fit the "can always get home without a lift" criterion, but you would still have a walk to your accommodation.

Likewise Livigno, but there might be a bus involved.
ski holidays
Honestly, I’m struggling to think of many areas where you couldn’t simply restrict yourself.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
leggyblonde wrote:
Les Deux Alpes

I'm puzzled by the constraint as why constrain yourself more than necessary - isn't it enough that you can get back to your accomodation easily. But L2A is a good test case. Technically everything is accessible from the top of the main side, in practice much less is directly accessible by an easy run of the type OP is talking about?

Otherwise what about Val Thorens as a test case - almost no where meets the directly situated on the main run criterion but almost everything accessible from a lift that runs late in the day (til 5.15) Admittedly a ballache if you miss that last uplift

I’ll be experiencing European skiing for the first time this winter. I’m shocked by the lifts running to 5.15pm. Is this common? Is it all season (even January when we’ll be there)?
Interesting topic though. I think I would rather avoid these ‘funnel’ resorts - I imagine the run back home in the afternoon would be mayhem sometimes?
snow conditions
Euro lifts run a lot later than the US where 3.30 hometime can be common at Xmas for some. But the 5.15 is a springtime last resort lift. I'd guess 4.30 more typical.
latest report
^^^
4.30 is still pretty late. If you’re at the top then a nice long home run would make it very much beer o’clock by the time skis are off and boots are changed. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
sierr nevada
latest report
Alpe d'Huez and Plagne Centre spring to mind.

Saalbach in Austria is worth a look as so many runs lead back into the town from all sides of the valley.
snow report
sbooker wrote:
^^^
4.30 is still pretty late. If you’re at the top then a nice long home run would make it very much beer o’clock by the time skis are off and boots are changed. Madeye-Smiley

You're not necessarily at the top. Remember you might have a long way to get home in a Euro linked area.
ski holidays
Cervinia. Earlier day options to Valtournenche (easy to get back to main bowl in time) or if feeling brave Zermatt.
Once in home Cervinia bowl you have no choice to end up anywhere but the village. There are some ski in ski out options, some close walks , some far walks.
Scenery to rival or arguably beat Courcheval. And as for food drink and hot chocolate Yum. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
I think both Obertauern and Obergurgl would work well for you. In both these resorts you never leave the valley the village is in, so there's no risk of being stuck somewhere difficult to get back from if the lifts close.

The Jenewien in Obergurgl is my favourite ski in/out hotel.
latest report
sbooker wrote:
^^^

What tends to happen is the upper or more remote lifts close earlier and the link lifts and bottom lifts later. But yes if you do it right you can have a very long day - easily 8 hours.

I actually enjoy getting the last lift up and taking an easy cruise down. More often than not the run will be really quiet and the light/ambience can be really nice.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sbooker, Another tip for European skiing - it is very common for beer o'clock to come before changing boots! Apres ski is almost always at least started while still in ski boots....
snow conditions
@breeze11, Saas Fee would be great for you - all runs lead to the village, the scenery is hard to beat, and the ski area will be similar in scale (if not bigger) than the area you currently restrict yourself to.
snow conditions
@breeze11, Les Arcs, Peisey Vallandry, Flaine.
latest report
suec wrote:
Cervinia. Earlier day options to Valtournenche (easy to get back to main bowl in time) or if feeling brave Zermatt.
Once in home Cervinia bowl you have no choice to end up anywhere but the village. There are some ski in ski out options, some close walks , some far walks.
Scenery to rival or arguably beat Courcheval. And as for food drink and hot chocolate Yum. Madeye-Smiley

Cervinia and Zermatt blows the whole 3 valleys area (&probably all big french monster resorts) out the water when it comes to scenery. Smile

Responding to OP, would tend to agree with the consensus that smaller resorts would solve the problem best.
latest report
Do busses count as lifts. If so then try les arcs . The busses rn until about 9 in the evening so you can always ski down to say 2000 and get the bus around to 1800.

My memory is that if you end up in the courcheval 1850 sector you have to get a bus back to 1550.
snow report
johnE wrote:

My memory is that if you end up in the courcheval 1850 sector you have to get a bus back to 1550.

Naaa, 1550 is directly below 1850, so no need for a bus.... It's 1650 you need to get a bus too, if you miss the last lift.
ski holidays
Sainte Foy is a pretty classic example. Ski back to base from any point on the mountain.
snow report
Valkyrie wrote:
I think both Obertauern and Obergurgl would work well for you. In both these resorts you never leave the valley the village is in, so there's no risk of being stuck somewhere difficult to get back from if the lifts close.

The Jenewien in Obergurgl is my favourite ski in/out hotel.

Agree.
latest report
Quote:

Saalbach in Austria is worth a look as so many runs lead back into the town from all sides of the valley.

Provided you don't get overcome by a reckless spirit of adventure and ski over to Leogang or Fieberbrunn (which are in a separate valley - like Meribel is to Courchevel), all runs in Saalbach-Hinterglemm lead back to the bottom of the main valley - and the ski buses run up and down every 20 minutes, so no danger of getting stranded. However ski-in ski-out accommodation isn't difficult to find, and you should be able to plan your excursions so that you ski back home without having to walk or catch buses.
snow report
Still really unsure about how this all does or deosn't work... Just don't get lost and keep a track of time...
latest report
Although most people are being genuinely helpful, there seem to be a few responses here that suggest that people don't understand the nature of panic/anxiety and that basically amount to "just don't be anxious about it". Speaking as a fellow anxiety sufferer - not helpful, guys.
snow report
@juno, by the very nature of it being an irrational anxiety, it’s obviously going to be difficult for people to relate. Form my point of view I understand the fear of getting caught the wrong side of a hill (I’ve nearly been caught out when pushing the limits of ‘last lift’ and I’ve skied regularly with SillySkier who got herself stuck in Orelle at last years EoSb), however I cant get my tiny mind round why you’d let that restrict you from skiing in another valley before lunch time if conditions are fine. And worst case scenario in a number of resorts (such as Plagne Centre to Plagne Bellecote) you can just hop on a bus.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy