Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler in Feb

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Howdy gang

I recently got a great price on 10 days snowboarding in Whistler arriving 24th Feb till 6th March a week after half term and Presidents day I believe. Is this a good time to go generally speaking, or would early Feb have better snow and less chance of rain?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's Whistler it can get pineapple expressed at any time. The payoff for rain is usually that the alpine is awesome when it opens.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My experience over 4 years from 2011 to 2014/15 was pretty bad, with only 1 week of what I would call good snow out of 8 weeks (2 weeks per year). If you look at the annual monthly snowfall figures, there isn't much consistency with regards to which month gets the snow fall. One year Feb might get 4m, the next 1m, and being Whistler new snow lasts hours to a day or so, before its skied out.

The last time I went was in March 2015, they had a very good start in November, but by March you wouldn't know it had snowed on the lower third of the mountain and MTB's were being hired out.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gainz wrote:
Is this a good time to go generally speaking, or would early Feb have better snow and less chance of rain?

It's as good as any week.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Gainz, yes its a good time to go , missing half term and presidents day is a good call , lots of folk are down on whistler and quote rain rain rain , but ive been skiing there four weeks a year for the last few years and have never had rain above the mid station ,and only once lower down . this year was pretty epic and last year was good allround , early and late seasons have been really good , but you never really know at those times , so mid winter is the best time i reckon .
you'll have a blast snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Rain at whistler is a little over blown. For either of your dates rain above midstation (where all the good skiing is) is low. A warm front bringing in rain (pineapple express) is equally possible early or late feb.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks guys. Are there any catski/ heliski recommendations?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There are a few heliski ops out of whistler. It depends what you're looking for. If you are happy with mellow powder fields any will probably do. If you want more interesting/steep/complex terrain whistler ops are not the best - they mainly cater for rich tourists who may not be the best skiers. If you're serious about heliskiing you would probably be best getting further out of whistler and doing multiple days. For your first trip though there's plenty to keep you busy in bounds for 10 days.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
On the OP, don't worry about it, it'll be fine.
Gainz wrote:
... Are there any catski/ heliski recommendations?

They're all good. The resort owns "Whistler Heli" and will tell you all about that. My mates own, and I have some interest in, the other operator Powder Mountain https://powdermountaincatskiing.com/

Powder Mountain runs both cats and heli, and their heli are 4-seat A-Star machines not the 212 used by Whistler Heli.
Both operators have offices open in the village during the season - call in and ask them about it and pick the one you like best.

They've plenty of "hard core" terrain around Whistler, but the operators have to take people on terrain they can cope with.
I ride Powder Mountain when I'm in Whistler, which is usually when I'm on my way to more remote areas for longer periods of heli.

I would recommend the cats as the best place to start because you get a lot of vertical for the money, and the experience is more flexible.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We went at that time of year this season and were amazed at the best snow we have had for years as it happened to be very cold.
Its a great place and no more of a gamble than going anywhere else. If you are looking at Help/Cat skiing then they will always be able to find you something brilliant to ski on as they area they use is immense.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@philwig, the cat day looks like the best value so will give them shout later on. We're by no means experts but we have heli'd once before and done a couple of cat days. I would prefer some more challenging terrain but would just as well ride in knee deep pow in 'easy' fields and bowls than not. Thanks again guys.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you want to make the most of your time the quickdraw publications guide book is well worth it. It's a huge resort with lots of places to explore and the book will show you some of the better places and has lots of nice arial shots for getting orientated. While the piste map will get you around there is a lot missing.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I find this app very useful too. Even after over 10 trips there is is so easy to miss where you are actually aiming for.
https://www.ullrmaps.com
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy