Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

WTD: Estate, SUV or MPV Skiwagen

Poster: A snowHead
OK, the slowly decaying Xtrail has finally started to become more trouble than it is worth, after 15 years of hard service she's ready for someone to actually run her into the ground.

This means new car time, anyone selling or about to part ex a large vehicle of almost any type? I need a big boot, but otherwise most options considered, unless it is a French car in which case it probably won't be considered Very Happy

Budget around £3-4K but happy to look at cheaper options for old and high mileage cars, ideally for Bangernomics to work I need to get 3-4 years of 10,000 miles a year out of it.

Happy to put cash in your hand to save getting done over by part ex valuations, and can work with any time in the next few weeks to collect.
latest report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Getting fed up of climbing in through the boot? You should put that in your ad: “special consideration given to vehicles with door handles” Toofy Grin
snow conditions     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Subaru Forester XT?
latest report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@reidobi, turbo? Probably going to throw the budget on insurance and fuel, if not turbo message me, I love a Subaru.
snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Unfortunately the clue is in the letters; T for turbo.
snow conditions     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Still looking, still finding truly awful cars that have been cleaned with a brillo pad. I actually had a car break down on the test drive last weekend.

Starting to consider the joy of Zafiranomics again, which must be a sign I'm running out of imagination.
latest report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Digger the dinosaur, Can you not get an Octavia for that? We had a look at one briefly because it was parked next to the Golf we eventually purchased at a small dealer. Was older (and therefore cheaper) than we were looking at, but would've suited your requirements above. How far are you prepared to drive to look at one? We've always gone half-way round the country for a good deal, though you should have a pretty reasonable choice in the SE.
snow report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Scarlet, so far two Octavias down, and two that were utter tat. Unbelievably there seems to be a premium on Skodas. Now exploring Seat, same engines and gearboxes, and do what I need. Trouble is their Octavia type range is also expensive, looking at some of the Altea estates and might even be drawn by an Alhambra (back to Zafiranomics but without a Vauxhall powertrain)
snow conditions     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Digger the dinosaur, Yeah, people kept suggesting Seat to me, them being "same as the Golf", but they turned out to be more expensive and therefore a pointless distraction! Dacia stuff is quite popular over here, though no personal experience. A bit plasticy, maybe, but then so's a Vauxhall...
snow report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mondeonomics not a possibility? Although estates in your price bracket are often complete nails. Your problem might be that lots change hands ex lease/ fleet at 24-36 months then people tend to hold on to the good uns.
snow conditions     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Digger the dinosaur, for Bangernomics to really work get yourself to a BCA auction.
Find the room that is knocking out the trade-ins from places like Car Giant.
Usually 100K milage, several months of MOT and just about everything goes through for 100-200 pounds.

Buy.
Use.
Discard as soon as something goes wrong. Do not even bother to get it MOT'd unless it really has been a jewel in the rough.
Sell to a scrapyard.
Repeat.

Some are total dogs, but most are basically OK.
Modern cars are so much more reliable than they were...I have three friends who do this, and have done so for three to five years and they have had VERY cheap, and hassle free motoring (do join the AA or similar though, for peace of mind if nothing else).

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 23-05-18 14:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have you considered a nice SWB VW Transporter? Drives like a car with all the space U could want and they go a long way.
There's a strong forum community too so quite easy to get advice re alterations/mods to fit your particular bill.
ski holidays     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Dave of the Marmottes, Yeah, that seems likely. We picked up the last UK one at 5 yrs ex-fleet. It had done 90k but was well looked after, though a couple of grand more than @Digger's budget. A non-VW might be possible for that at 5yrs though.
snow report     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dave of the Marmottes, if I found a 1.8 diesel estate Mondeo it would be a real win, but experience of their turbos (and associated EGR valves etc) hasn't been entirely wonderful.

@admin, is this a gentle warm up for the inevitable sale of the Bus 4 Dub???
snow conditions     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Aren't there some 1.6 diesels coming through now with the PSA JV engine (that might breach the no French rule of course)?
ski holidays     
Subaru Legacy Sports Tourer (estate) would be in your budget. AWD and low ratio gearbox on the 2.0 petrol models, perfect for winter. Don't buy a diesel or a lineartronic (probably out of your price range anyway) as they have problems but the petrol manual models are rock solid. Not great on fuel (about 28mpg average) but otherwise very cheap to run.
snow report     
OK, problem solved. Local dealer just came up with a Seat Altea XL that they wanted shifting. 10 years old, less than 4,000 miles a year from new, FSH. The fat-hatch (a new category of vehicles I've just come up with) has got the 1.9 Octavia/VW diesel, DSG auto box, plenty of toys, cheap to insure, and a surprising amount of poke.

Just picked it up, so far only downside is only having one key, but he just texted me to tell me he'd found the other one Very Happy

Still can't believe the price difference between a comparable Skoda, which used to be a cheap car but good build quality, now the price seems to match the car, pretty much the same as VW secondhand. Nobody seems to have discovered Seats are the same drivetrain and all the same toys, but get driven by people that don't do 20,000 miles a year.
snow conditions     
Just a bit too short for me. I'm looking for something I can get the bike into as well - but with the wheels on.

I need about 71"+ to do that. Mazda 6 estates are favorite at the minute.
latest report     

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy