Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New ski opinions

Poster: A snowHead
dp wrote:
@the_doc, has my signature model Preacher made the 2019 catalogue? That is, where one of the skis is supplied in 2 bits Very Happy

Limited edition only wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi everyone, you'll find the new release of the 2019 Whitedot Skis lookbook below. I think those at the EOSB will find some nice little changes, thanks for all your feedback on this!

We've got a clean new look to the skis, not too many dots next year! We have a couple of new products, the "Altum" Series of twin tip, twin rocker/camber skis and our new Asymmetric Ragnarok. Spent all last season on these models so happy to answer any questions on them, especially the ASYM as its a pretty radical design.

https://issuu.com/whitedotskis/docs/whitedot-lookbook-2018-print
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@the_doc, Nice to see that the feedback about white top sheets has been take on board, saving the embarrassment of the new design being known as the “Lost 114” wink

Looking good Cool
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scarlet wrote:
@the_doc, Nice to see that the feedback about white top sheets has been take on board, saving the embarrassment of the new design being known as the “Lost 114” wink

Looking good Cool

Thanks, that's not a bad ski name, might pop that one in the bank Wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarlet wrote:

+1

Just got to get rid of that white base now!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tight radius on those Preachers. Very Happy

Hopefully see some of these at the Oktobertest?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Penry wrote:
Tight radius on those Preachers. Very Happy

Hopefully see some of these at the Oktobertest?

The Preachers have been unchanged since its launch ten years ago. And they'll all be the Oktobertest.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No more 169 Preachers? Sad best be careful with my current ones I guess.

The ASYM looks interesting, though not sure I'll be skiing 190's anytime soon NehNeh

Is that a typo in the Altum 114 specs, 125 - 94 - 117?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Daishan wrote:

The ASYM looks interesting, though not sure I'll be skiing 190's anytime soon NehNeh

Pies?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Dave of the Marmottes, lol, I think building a bit of muscle and improving my technique might be better for me, though a lot more work so I'll keep pies as a backup rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Daishan wrote:

In CL yes, I think so. The 169CL isn't a huge seller so it's hard to get the production numbers to make them economically. Same thing for the other now discontinued models/lengths. Best solution for you matey is to eat more pies!

Whitedot did press a good number of 169 Preacher trads for 17/18 so we have stock of those so they'll still be available but they won't have the new topsheet.

Daishan wrote:

Yep, it's a typo and it should read 114. That spec booklet has a number of errors in it that'll be corrected soon.

And before anyone asks the CarbonLite version of the Rag ASYM will be in 19/20 along with the Altum 104. I'm assuming that the Altum 104 will then replace the Director but that's not official.

And I'm pushing for a Altum 84 Cool
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Asym Rag looks sweet! Love the shot of Louis on p6 too.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
......Pies?

LOL, you beat me to it whilst I was still typing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999 wrote:
......Love the shot of Louis on p6 too.

Well dodgy pink poles though
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
One criticism I do have, is that the new range seems to be excluding those of us who are smaller and lighter, i.e. female. The 107 Director CL that I ski is gone (the trades are too heavy), as is the 169 Preacher and Preacher CL.

One thing that I liked about the Whitedot range when I first tried them out, was that the large range of sizes in most of the skis meant that it didn’t matter that I was small, there were still skis I liked. But this reduction in the short end of the ranges combined with the loss of the One/Zero One, means that I’ll no longer be recommending them to other littl’uns Confused
snow conditions
R98 CL is still a damn fine ski for littlies and I suspect the Altum "Delinquent" 94.
latest report
@Scarlet, there's still the R.98's in 168cm and the new Altum 94 (which replaces the One/Zero One) goes down to 167cm. And there's still plenty of 17/18 Preacher trads in 169cm as I mentioned in my post above. Sales of the 151 & 161 trad/CL Directors have been poor (even after the 'market' said it wanted to have a performance all mntn skis available in short lengths rolling eyes). And the 171 trad sales greatly outweigh that of the CL version.

Basically those that need a short length don't want/need the width of a Director as there's enough float from a 94/98mm ski, hence that's the route WD have taken. And unfortunately it's just not economically viable to make/keep all the lengths/constructions etc.

At the other end of the scale you'll notice that the Redeemers have gone as well. The Redeemer is a fantastic ski but again the numbers don't stack up as sales for what is considered to be an out'n'out powder ski (even though it's more than that) are pretty low, plus it's up against the more versatile new 114 and the Rags.
snow report
@spyderjon, @Dave of the Marmottes, ooh, bait taken wink

Can’t speak for the 94 coz that’s not in the test fleet in short yet – everything else I’ve had a go on. R98 is at my limit for stiffness, so a tricky contender. 151/161 Director had already gone, no? Though I’m not counting what might be hanging around in your shop as once they run out, that’s it. I already considered the 169 Preacher too much ski. If the shortest length is now 179, then you’ve got to have a fair bit more heft than me to keep it under control, again notwithstanding what’s in your cupboard.

I can get float on a 76, but it doesn’t mean I want to wink And WD marketing doesn’t exactly push the short end as it’s mostly blokes on big skis.

Missed the missing Redeemers, though as I could legitimately use just one in a game of hide and seek, they’ve never been on my spectrum. I suspect your right in that the 114 will be more versatile, but again, with the shortest being 179, I don’t get to decide Confused
ski holidays
@Scarlet, Rule 5
snow report
@Scarlet, I've skied the R98, and would say it's at my limit too - as in I can get them to work, but it's a lot of effort. I've also skied the 'Altum' 94 at the EoSB this year, and loved it. I could get it to work easier (though not easily! But I was not in normal skiing shape, after injury recovery etc) - definitely found it softer, and really enjoyable. I'll need better fitness to properly work them all day though.

I tried the 185cm, as that's all they had at the EoSB, and I'm 1m72. In theory I should go shorter, but I really enjoyed them, and don't know if a shorter length would be quite as 'full-on fun'/deliquent like Toofy Grin I can't imagine the 167cm would be too much for you.
ski holidays
@Scarlet, you're right in that there's nothing in the line-up to match/replace your Directors, but sadly I think it's just a numbers game. It's hard enough to make a profit selling any skis outside of the rental market, and even harder just in the freeride scene... I don't know the exact number of freeride skis sold under 180cm, but I can well believe it's not enough to sustain the costs unfortunately. Props to Whitedot for trying to grow that segment for so long, but I imagine it was a very easy business decision.
snow conditions
@the_doc, & @spyderjon, How come the big jump from 94 to 114 in the Altum series with nothing in the 104 range? Thanks Smile
latest report
beenative wrote:
@the_doc, & @spyderjon, How come the big jump from 94 to 114 in the Altum series with nothing in the 104 range? Thanks Smile

The Altum 104 is in our skunkworks at the moment, first impressions are strong and I wouldn’t be surprised if we managed to get a late season release for this. For those looking for something on the shorter side of life, it’s not 100% yet but we would definitely consider releasing this in shorter sizes if the demand was there. Initial size spread is 187/179 with a 171 a possibility as well, what do you all think of the smaller size?

As for why we chose the 94 and 114 first, the Altum series are all closely linked with their designs, as they get wider the rocker increases and the camber decreases proportionately so from a design point of view it made sense to focus on the two extremes first. From a purely selfish outlook we wanted a solid two ski quiver focused on having fun all over the mountain!! 94s for piste and slush, 114 for when the gods open up and dump on the mountain!
latest report
@the_doc, Would a 104 mean the end of the Director then? A 171 Altum 104 sounds kinda similar to my 171 Director, though I appreciate you're no longer producing that size. Obviously, I'm going to stick a vote in for little skis – most people my size (163cm/54kg) can't wield a 180 ski without breaking (another) leg, but I can't say that as the owner of a perfectly serviceable pair of Directors, I'd be able to find space for them. Might work as a replacement though, but I see that as a long way off.
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
@the_doc, Would a 104 mean the end of the Director then? A 171 Altum 104 sounds kinda similar to my 171 Director, though I appreciate you're no longer producing that size. Obviously, I'm going to stick a vote in for little skis – most people my size (163cm/54kg) can't wield a 180 ski without breaking (another) leg, but I can't say that as the owner of a perfectly serviceable pair of Directors, I'd be able to find space for them. Might work as a replacement though, but I see that as a long way off.

The Altums, 94 104 and 114, have really blown us away with their versatility whilst maintaining the fun factor we all love. They definitely fit a similar user profile to the Director with rocker & a twin tip, but the new rocker profile coupled with camber really changes the game for what terrain the skis are comfortable on. Although they do occupy slightly different segments, the Director has a definite bias for soft snow whereas the Altums are strong all terrain rides and genuine one ski quivers depending on your ski area. I think we will find it difficult to justify keeping both models in the lineup, especially when the Altum has had such strong results in testing.
latest report
Thanks @the_doc, sounds like a great quiver Very Happy and will seriously tempt me. Might even have to come up to an October test to have a go!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy