Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another drone vid with the Rando Chiens and spot the marmots diving for cover

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Filming with the drone whilst ski touring up to the Crête de Côte Plaine above the Lautaret today with Les Rando Chiens, with KenX, some nice footage of the up and views over to La Grave and La Meije but still can't quite get the descents!

Luckily we had phones as well!

http://youtube.com/v/o6GFORFxMas

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 27-04-18 14:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What I don't understand is how les chiens still have a full compliment of toes.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Weathercam, I was about to pm to ask you where the rcs have been recently ... very glad you posted.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Using the drone to put he camera in a static place and shooting back from that works really well.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another tour today and this time better ski footage with the drone (towards the end) and can you spot the marmots diving for cover Toofy Grin

Left home at 06:30 as had a long walk to the start of the climb

http://youtube.com/v/y_rQwmuxhqY
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Magical. Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fab
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Excellent. What drone?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Weathercam,

Re marmots diving for cover - they have two weeks of running around in agonies of hunger whilst their stomach linings are re-built after hibernation. I have see a big reduction in the population around us in CH due to the weird weather patterns of the past five years; I wonder what impact this season will have? Almost all the food sources for them are currently under deep snow, yet they are out and about. The temps and time that they have been programmed for has led them to wake now. They have two weeks to access reasonable supplies and I anticipate that many will have problems over the next months. What’s the situation where you are? I am not in the mountains at the moment; you have a much better take...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@valais2, that valley we were in yesterday https://www.google.com/maps/@44.8761933,6.7681997,14.25z/data=!5m1!1e4 map here is always plentiful with marmots and it's actually quite low (1,850).

We drove up the access road only last Monday to see where the snow line was and how far we'd have to walk and then yesterday we could drive another 2km from where we'd parked on the Monday so the snow is melting fast with the hot weather we've been having, and flowers & grass are all sprouting forth.

Majority of marmots were atop mounds and below trees where snow is melting & clearing fast and soon the vegetation will be there - for sure as in the ones I caught on the drone some have their dens still in a snow field as it were, and there are quite a few entrances to dens high up with no melt going on, and I don't know whether they leave their den to go down where the grass is greener etc

And bear in mind we were climbing a west facing slope on the more south facing slopes snow is going even faster.

It is a superb valley and reckon it will be another couple of weeks before you can drive up it, we probably encountered about thirty yesterday - and what is so funny is that the dogs see them with half their body half showing and shoot off in the direction after them, the marmots see them coming and stand up like meerkats whistling and right at the last minute dive down.

Behind where we live the deer and hares come down looking for food and last night I was throwing a load of old carrots out for them though we're too low (1,400) for marmots.

And @rob@rar, the drone is a DJI Spark

And the OH's take write up on yesterday http://stylealtitude.com/ski-tour-ski-blog-28th-april.html
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Weathercam, thanks indeed for this ... great detail ... sounds as though some up who are active higher may experience some difficulty whilst those at lower altitudes seem on top of things...

...airdrops of carrots by drone might help...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy