Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rando Chiens ripping after me in the Spring Snow

Poster: A snowHead
Here in Serre Che we have rain pretty well every day since Friday with the FL coming down from around 2,600 to circa 1,900m along with strong winds at altitude.

Yesterday took the dogs for a walk whilst there was a break from the rain and sending the dogs all over the place with one of those ball throwers that lets you catapult it far further than you could throw.

Four or so hours later Kiki the mother went lame pretty bad, which seemed bizarre for it to take so long, or maybe she heard us talking about the possibility of a ski tour should conditions be good and decided to pull a sickie Laughing

The morning started off cloudy, at the top of the valley (Lautaret end) it was enveloped in low dense cloud, so that ruled out going up that way. Our next option should the weather clear would be to see how far we could drive up the Granon road.

Cloud slowly dissipated and we slowly got our gear together which for the first sortie of the season is always a major faff, new batteries in transceivers, changing FirstAid kit from a tropical one to a mountain one and a whole load of other kit to get together.

As the cloud can be so localised we still could not be sure until we were near the Granon turn off.

Last couple of km road was a tad gnarly and you do get paranoid about getting stuck all the way up there, so have to be sensible and turn around and park up rather than trying to drive another 300m in ever-deepening snow.

We parked up at 2,136m and then skinned up the snow-covered road till we turned off and headed up the mountain.

Snow was very deep in places where it was blown into gulleys and heavy to skin through, the better option was to skin up exposed ridges where there was not too much snow but was very cold with a strong wind blowing.

After 45 mins Beanie was having issues with the cold and deep snow with snow building up in balls in her nether regions and her face, so I tried with her around my neck but that was none too successful so she ended up in the backpack!

Ski down was not as good as one had hoped, but hey I'm being really fussy, if it were not for Beanie we probably would have gone for the summit and had a better steeper ski, but also those first turns in a varied windblown pack and with a dog in the backpack I think one could be excused for being a tad cautious Laughing

So pics

And a photo of where we parked up, by the time we got back down a lot of snow had melted and we were very much in the sun, which can be an issue as people drive up thinking road is clear and they turn a bend into shadow and suddenly they find themselves in axle-deep snow.

And the Granon road is one of the steepest in France at well over 10%.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 6-01-20 15:41; edited 6 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fab
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Love it (especially the wee dog Madeye-Smiley )
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I hope Kiki's ok.
We sometimes take our little mutt in the rucksack when we're out on the bikes. There are few things cuter than a wee dog in a bag!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fantastic, skiing and a cool dog, good on you.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Related to Mitt Romney? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fantastic.....that's really living life to the max!!!!!!!!!!.................one day rodney
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Weathercam, amazing pics. What's in your FirstAid Winter Pack? I should make one as well...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great stuff Weathercam - I have hiked with a dog in my pack (worn out paw pads on a very long, very rocky route...) but never skied with one Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Excellent work. Bet pup goes straight for the backpack next time!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stunning photos, that scenery just takes your breathe away ( along with the cold) You guys sure are living the dream ! Keep up with the posts - make all envious.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Weathercam, Great pics. Love that doggy, cute as buttons. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Weathercam, fab pics. Hope beanie is feeling better
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That's a proper doggy-bag, thanks for sharing.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Weathercam, Your doggo has better ski trips than me. great piccies.
ski holidays
Great pics, especially those with the dog in the pack. Hope she thawed out OK Toofy Grin

I love seeing your trip reports but you are way more adventurous then I could ever be - I would be too worried about what might go wrong up there! Does anyone else know where you have gone when you go out like this or are you completely on your own (I realise there are two of you but still..)?
ski holidays
brilliant photos
snow conditions
Nice photos. At the start of last week I biked across the tops from Granon to Croix du Toulouse overlooking Briancon. Dry and sunny then.
ski holidays
Cute pupper, she looks adorable in the backpack! You even kept her ears warm.

Bet it was great to get out in the snow.
snow report
Great to see the snow in Serre Che as we are there for Christmas!
latest report
Top effort. Jealous.
ski holidays
Yesterday we went exploring to see what conditions were like, and how far we could drive up one of our favourite valleys for a planned ski tour for today.

We opted for one of our more usual spring ski tour routes as it did not look too wind affected and the snow line was not too bad a hike to get to, plus we could drive all the way to the start of the climb something we can never do normally.

We were quite encouraged by the snow yesterday as temps have not been above zero so it was still really light, and it was more of the same today as we climbed up, and not at all wind affected.

Both dogs were with us as you can see, and there were no issues as the snow was not too deep plus when the powder is so light it's not an issue for them.

Apart from the dogs and the OH a friend joined us who will be 70 soon, he only really started ski touring last year, so was a great effort by him.

Have to say the snow was superb and we all agreed that you just felt like you were skiing really well as it was so easy and the terrain is so much fun.

I should add that we call this place Telly Tubby Land with the rolling grassy hills, great for limited snow cover!

https://www.strava.com/activities/2862249401

And some idiot managed to ski all the way back down to the van Laughing

latest report
Look great!!
latest report
I really enjoy your posts. You guys really are living the life!
ski holidays
brilliant snowHead
ski holidays
Hotdogger..... makes one insanely jealous doesn t it......

Oh well one day.....
ski holidays
Weathercam,

That looks brilliant! Great to see the doggies enjoying themselves as well! Very Happy
snow conditions
Very cool, beautiful rolling hills. 70 year old rookie. Love it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yesterday we ski toured in resort and above 1,800m powder was deep, and I was struggling breaking trail, for the Rando Chiens coming back down they did have some difficulty when leaving the skin track, and then once back on it discovered that it was way better Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/QW_trU66DIo
latest report
@Weathercam, i want to be your neighbour in a few more years...
latest report
After nigh on 100cms of snow fell yesterday, which as temps were just above zero was a tad heavy, overnight was a clear sky and is so often the way the snow fairies worked hard overnight and into the early hours to transform it into nigh on JapPow.

Twas only a short tour as going was hard in the deep snow, plus tad concerned as to how the dogs would find it, but as you can see they were fired up Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/B9TOVwNG-G4
snow conditions
Love the way you got Mrs Weathercam to break trail..........20m? Mrs Dodger refuses point blank in fresh snow or is that period....!
ski holidays
@Weathercam, how does the clear night skies affect the snow/piste quality in December to April nights, vs cloudy skies?
I remember reading smth related to more fluffy snow?
latest report
With the high pressure and lack of fresh snow and the recent strong winds we've been waiting for Spring Snow conditions which the Jacks are far better suited for.

The actual climb they loved as a week ago on the same climb I saw a family of wild boar so there were loads of scents about.

In the video, you can see Beanie accelerating after me as I let the skis go a little once I'd sussed the snow-pack Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/j8m-wydRCbA
ski holidays
Apologies for the less than stellar video quality, shot with my Iphone6 Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy