Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2018/2019 (May 16th Perfect Conditions)

Poster: A snowHead
@hsdee,

Fyi

Its is ilegal to be intox on controlled slopes & lifts in Austria..Fines start at €2500

That is a good reason to stay Off Piste Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Havent noticed the local police hanging out on the main piste back into St Anton. I would have thought a very high percentage of those skiing down around early evening after a few beers and jägerbombs in the KK, Mooser, Heustadl etc must be well over the limit. There are various youtube videos of (stupid people in my opinion) struggling to put their skis back on before attempting the run back.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@munich_irish, don’t feed the troll....he’s an idiot!😜....he’s never been there, just wishes he had.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@munich_irish,
It only becomes an expensive o problem or worse if you are involved or have an accident....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If they policed St Anton for drunks, the pistes would be empty.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whp writes this?

Glacier Skiing????

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/austria-winter-ski-breaks/lech-zurs-am-arlberg/
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@stanton, the point I was trying to make, if badly, was that there is no issue skiing with a hangover if that's your thing (personally I am, hopefully Very Happy , mature enough that I can keep the booze consumption down to allow a clear head at 08:00 the next morning to ensure maximum skiing time). Clearly if you are drunk or incapable through drug use (and the Austrians might do a drug test which can pick up on cannabis use a number of days previously) and cause (or are involved in) an accident that could have serious consequences.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The police did start testing people for alchohol at the bottom of the piste below the mooserwirt (near the Galzig Bahn).
The results were shocking, some skiers didn't even pass the test and had to be sent back up for more Apres Ski.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB wrote:
The police did start testing people for alchohol at the bottom of the piste below the mooserwirt (near the Galzig Bahn).
The results were shocking, some skiers didn't even pass the test and had to be sent back up for more Apres Ski.

Hahahahaha

Someone in our party once skiied down the road behind the Moose/Kk
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Having limped up the piste to the Mooserwirt to join the rest of my group (having discovered post op that I could only ski in circles, anti-clockwise) I tried to double up with a boarder on the way back down (Just cuddle me he said). We made two turns.

I particularly liked the way most of the guys had duct taped torches to their helmets Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Austria 12 Hour working Days

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3268234&highlight=austrian+12hr+working#3268234

All over the Austrian Media yesterday & today

The first such work contract was in Salzburg and now a 12 hour work contract has turned up at a Hotel in the Arlberg..

https://tirol.orf.at/news/stories/2945515/

https://www.oe24.at/oesterreich/politik/Naechster-Skandal-um-12-Stunden-Tag-Erster-Fall-in-Tirol/354830981
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DanFuller wrote:
DB wrote:

Hahahahaha

Someone in our party once skiied down the road behind the Moose/Kk

I was once with a group and convinced them to leave their skis elsewhere before going to the underground on the piste for a drinking session. We walked up the road but after a belly full of beer it seemed a very good idea to walk down the piste. With all the Apres Ski skiers coming down it was anything but safe, plus trying to walk in the deeper snow during darkness at the side of the piste while inebriated was an awkward challenge. One of the group had an even better idea of doing a "Superman". Basically a belly slide in the snow while lifting up his arms, legs and head. Afterwards he looked like someone had washed his face with a hedgehog.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Perhaps the folk (in my experience Swedish but sure plenty of Brits, Dutch etc too) who can be seen unsteadily sliding around in ski boots on the main village street about 8 o'clock in the evening whilst wildly waving around the skis precariously positioned on their shoulders are more of a danger to others than the Wacky Races parade on the run down to the Galzigbahn.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Best one was when a PistenBully drove straight over a drunk Apres skier (almost outside the Underground on the Piste) who had collapsed & fell asleep on the down side of a mogul.

The victim was turned into Hamburger Meat & the Pistenbully Driver never worked again traumatized.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stanton wrote:
The Best one was when a PistenBully drove straight over a drunk Apres skier (almost outside the Underground on the Piste) who had collapsed & fell asleep on the down side of a mogul.

The victim was turned into Hamburger Meat & the Pistenbully Driver never worked again traumatized.

Saw the same thing in Val Despair.

Drunk skied straight into the pisterbully.

The piste splodged red, like a wine stain on a white rug.
latest report
DB wrote:

Hahahaaha .....

"offering heli-skiing, with a choice of two different summits depending on whether you are an intermediate or advanced skier" who wrote that telegraph telegraph aticle.
latest report
Need to get back to the Alberg this Season ….

http://youtube.com/v/4S6TGgtKi6k

Kappl looks good too

http://youtube.com/v/UHVjkTw8rDQ
snow conditions
hsdee wrote:

"offering heli-skiing, with a choice of two different summits depending on whether you are an intermediate or advanced skier" who wrote that telegraph telegraph aticle.

Actually, that part of the article might be reasonably accurate. AFAIK, the heli-ski operation uses only 2 peaks: Mehlsack and Schneetäli. I don’t know if one is easier than the other, and am unlikely to find out. At around €1000/day (all inc), it is out of my reach.
snow report
Folks

It is to Warm & Dry in Austria & the outlook for the next 12-14 day is Temperatures above freezing even at night time..

One Good Storm after this Dry period can change that overnight in Arlberg.
ski holidays
I got told I was spreading fake news when I said this a few days ago..... However things dont look good for early season skiing in the Austrian alps. Unless the weather forecasts are dramatically wrong cant see how the Arlberg can open at the end of the month as planned. The dry weather north of the alps has been going on for months now with little sign of any change to the general weather pattern. It will snow at some point we just have to be patient.
snow report
@munich_irish, be interesting to see how many cold nights of snowmaking they need to get something open! But if @stanton, is correct it ain't going to be cold enough based on current forecasts. However they can swing dramatically from warm to cold so it's the usual waiting game!
ski holidays
Annual panic setting in......? Laughing

In the past i've been sat at work on 17th December wondering about the snow and flown into MUC 19th and been skiing knee deep powder with mates on grassy Galzig slopes on arrival......its still autumn in the Alps, and here in UK. Winter starts 1st December in my experience, anything before then is a bonus and good fun for the locals, but not being a local i'm not fussed if it doesnt snow for another 4 weeks tbph so long as its starts cooling in the next 2-3......after that i'd be getting a bit jittery but for now its no hassle.....and i'm going 21.12
latest report
@Markymark29,

We used to skiing in November regularly.

3rd week is December is start of the Tourist Season so its over for a few weeks.
latest report
https://wepowder.com/en/forum/topic/260233
ski holidays
@Markymark29, Some of us locals want a chance to try out a new pair of ski boots that cost far too much! However I agree some years I have been skiing in Scheffau in November with lots of snow, blue skies and empty pistes and in other years deciding it simply wasnt worth bothering until the middle of January. I still have hopes for a weekend of pre Christmas skiing but am beginning to think Ischgl or Obergürgl more likely than the Arlberg Sad
ski holidays
@Markymark29, of course you're right. Big issue is the weather pattern though, so similar 2014/15/16.... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
The GFS charts are showing a gradual decline in temps throughout Nov, no need to panic yet!
latest report
kitenski wrote:
The GFS charts are showing a gradual decline in temps throughout Nov, no need to panic yet!

That generally how it works as there are less daylight hours (sunshine) Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton wrote:
kitenski wrote:

That generally how it works as there are less daylight hours (sunshine) Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Indeed, and it's still only very early!!
snow report
Rendl Kappl Connection

https://www.tt.com/politik/landespolitik/14995605/seilbahnprogramm-kappl-und-st-anton-pochen-auf-alte-verordnung

IT looks like St Anton & Kappl are fearing this might all have to go back to the start because of complaint by "Landesumweltanwaltschaft und Alpenverein". Yesterday a group of opponents also joined "die Naturfreunde Tirol"

The Fear is, that the government apparently wants to dispel with a transitional arrangement (approval processes).

Lets Pray this connection Never happens

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Coming from 15C at 1500 m -which is like summer-, we need a steep decline, not a gradual one....
ski holidays
Quote:

we need a steep decline, not a gradual one....

That comes 29th March for us when UK ceases being part of EU......until then we just keep on pretending all's OK and focus on the weather, not the news..... rolling eyes
latest report
@ulmerhutte, I am not sure either drop off is suitable for my definition of an intermediate skier. Think i once calculated about 300 for a shared guide for the day with one heli drop.
snow conditions
@hsdee, I guess it all comes down to the snow conditions, be they knee-deep powder, ankle deep, breakable crust, margarine, firn, etc, etc.

I got the price from https://alloffpiste.com/heliskiing-st-anton-stuben-zuers-lech-arlberg-ski-resort/
ski holidays
Prices based on 3 people with 1 guide ....

Quote:
Vom Flexenpass auf den Mehlsack Gipfel: 450 €
Vom Kriegerhorn auf den Mehlsack Gipfel: 410 €
Vom Flexenpass auf die Orgelscharte / Schneetal: 470 €
Vom Kriegerhorn auf die Orgelscharte / Schneetal: 430 €

https://www.arlberginsider.com/heliskiing-lech-arlberg/1447/

Looks like if you shop around €290 for 3 skiers with 1 guide is possible
http://www.walserguides.at/events/WHARL.html

http://youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=mDA9dGQj3mM

I'd rather skin up ...
https://www.bergzeit.at/magazin/skitour-arlberg-mehlsack/
https://www.outdooractive.com/de/skitour/lechquellen-gebirge/lech-mehlsack/25006956/

http://youtube.com/v/Qtzmz52gjDE
snow report
So where is Orgelscharte ? thought it was very close to mehlsack, but i cannot find it on the map.
snow conditions
hsdee wrote:
So where is Orgelscharte ? thought it was very close to mehlsack, but i cannot find it on the map.

Orgelspitze (2592m) is just to the west of Braunarlspitze on the other side of the valley (north of Mehlsack). I guess Orgelscharte is somewhere near to Orgelspitze.

https://www.gps-tour.info/de/touren/detail.73233.html

Scharte means notch
https://dict.leo.org/englisch-deutsch/scharte
snow report
Orgelscharte is not with the Mehlsack flight, but the Schneetäli
ski holidays
Quote:
Wegen Naturschutz-Bedenken wurde Heli-Skiing vielerorts bereits verboten. Lediglich am Arlberg gibt es noch 2 Gipfel die noch ohne mühsamen Aufstieg mit Fellern bequem mit dem Wucher Helikopter erreicht werden können – der “Mehlsack” und die “Schneetäli-Orgelscharte“, auch “Schneetal” genannt.

Translation = Because of nature protection/conservation heli-skiing is not allowed in many places. In the Alberg there are still two peaks tha can be reached with a helicopter without having to skin up - the "Mehlsack" and the “Schneetäli-Orgelscharte“ also know as "Schneetal".

Quote:
Heliskiing von der Orgelscharte ins Schneetäli (Schneetal) nach Zug
Knapp unterhalb der ca. 2.450 m hoch gelegenen Orgelscharte unter der Braunarlspitze werden Sie vom Helikopter abgesetzt.

Translation = Heliskiing from the Orgelsharte into Schneetäli nach Zug. Just under the the 2450m high Orgelsharte which is under the Braunarlspitze will you be dropped off by the helicopter.

https://www.arlberginsider.com/heliskiing-lech-arlberg/1447/

So Orgelscharte has two names or the valley you ski into from Orgelscharte is the Schneetal? (Schneetäli)

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 13-11-18 12:45; edited 1 time in total
snow report
HeliSkiing should be Banned in the European Alps
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy