Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Seasonnaire jobs if you're not British?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm hoping the collective knowledge here can help me... The son of a friend of mine is finishing his final year at school, and would like to get a gap year job as a seasonnaire of some kind. Unfortunately he is Belgian, and pretty much every holiday company or ski job board I can find seems to require a UK national insurance number and bank account, which he doesn't have and wouldn't be able to get I don't think.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some likely employers or job boards or similar that would be able to employ him? I've found a few resort-specific websites, but nothing more general that isn't targeted at British people...

(Or even more unlikely, is anyone looking to employ a personable 18 year old snowboarder who speaks fluent French and Spanish, and very passable English, who's going to be spending the summer working as a waiter, next season?)

Any thoughts, tips or ideas much appreciated. Thank you.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think he should contact the ski areas themselves and look to get a job working the lifts for example, with French as his first language he would probably better off doing that than some chalet job for example. Plus the pay will be better!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Plenty of resort jobs that don't have anything to do with UK tour ops. Pick a resort, find some accom, go knocking on doors/handing out CV's.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My guess is that a British NI number requirement is not designed to weed out EU employees, but because of the non eu Aussies etc who may seek seasonal jobs via English speaking companies (that was my experience a dozen years ago when I did a season). While we are still in the EU, why would they not employ him. Surely he could get a NI number as a matter of course, just as he would if he came to the UK and got a job in Pret!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sitter wrote:
Plenty of resort jobs that don't have anything to do with UK tour ops. Pick a resort, find some accom, go knocking on doors/handing out CV's.

Yes, I think this is probably what's going to be required!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Does he live in the UK or Belgium?

The UK TOs who employ seasonnaires as posted workers on UK contracts paid in pounds through the UK tax system will need a UK tax identification number for the employee. As an EU citizen I thought he's entitled to one, but needs to be living in the UK to apply for it.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Perty wrote:
My guess is that a British NI number requirement is not designed to weed out EU employees, but because of the non eu Aussies etc who may seek seasonal jobs via English speaking companies (that was my experience a dozen years ago when I did a season). While we are still in the EU, why would they not employ him. Surely he could get a NI number as a matter of course, just as he would if he came to the UK and got a job in Pret!

I think it's to do with some pretty tedious legislation (esp. in France) about how to manage foreign (i.e. British) companies operating in France, but paying their employees in GBP or something.

Is it that easy to get a permanent NI number and bank account if you don't live in the UK or have any connection to it? Surely it can't be?!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mtsuit wrote:
Does he live in the UK or Belgium?

The UK TOs who employ seasonnaires as posted workers on UK contracts paid in pounds through the UK tax system will need a UK tax identification number for the employee. As an EU citizen I thought he's entitled to one, but needs to be living in the UK to apply for it.

Just to make things even more complicated he actually lives in Spain! But has Belgian nationality.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
He should try some of the resorts on the French Spanish border in the Pyrenees then, he shouldn’t have any trouble.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Freeride Republic in Courchevel/La Tania had a French guy working in the chalet, so worth trying them...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When we had our restaurant in Avoriaz, we hired a Brazilian, 2 Dutch, a South African, a Portuguese, a Swedish chef, a few brits and even a Geordie lass, so I do not see why being Belgian would be a disadvantage.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I do not see why being Belgian would be a disadvantage

To working in a restaurant or just as one of life's little burdens? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lol
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
La Grotte du Yeti. http://lagrotteduyeti.com/
La Folie Douce. https://www.lafoliedouce.com/fr
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A couple of months before the season started here, the local papers were awash with ads looking for season staff, from hotels to huts to lift companies. I imagine it's much the same everywhere. I'd start with these and avoid the British chalet seasonal staff model which is looking quite uncertain following Brexit.
latest report
It is worth trying SkiWorld as they are one of the largest employers of seasonaires

https://www.skiworld.co.uk/recruitment
latest report
Thanks all - some great ideas in here. Appreciate the help!
snow conditions
Perty wrote:
My guess is that a British NI number requirement is not designed to weed out EU employees,

or is it so they can do the "detached employee" scam and avoid local employment legislation?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy