Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boots - where to start?

Poster: A snowHead
I've skied for several years, hired boots initially, laterly I have a pair of cast-offs. It's getting to the stage that I feel my skiing is being compromised by a poor fit, and I want to buy a pair that fit, and are fitted properly. It seems the advice of experienced ski-boot buyers is being sought!

Having read several threads here it seems that buying from a reputable bootfitter is recommended and, I assume, more expensive than buying from an online source or mainstream shop; thus my questions are as follows:-

1. In which order do I act to get the best fit (and by definition the best result for the money spent)? Consult with bootfitter first? Try a few pairs at large shop for general fit first?
2. Is there a general rule of thumb on what to add to the basic cost of the boots to get them fitted?
3. Footbeds. Are they an aftermarket product, or something added as part of the fitting process?
4. Anything else of relevance that will help, or even help to avoid the pitfalls?
5. In what way do boots deteriorate over time?
6. Does the flex index stay constant with the user as their ability improves? i.e. if they're perfect for me now will they be just as perfect as I improve in both speed and skill?

I live down south, but have reason to visit the north-west/Chorley (just to show I've been genning-up before posting) regularly.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pretty sure you're surrounded by the big three. Solutions 4 feet, ski Bartlett, profeet. Any will give you great value for money!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Meldrews_mate, go to profeet in Fulham. They will decide what boots are best for you to try, not you. You will try on a few pairs and pick one then they will fit it, including footbeds The cost is irrelevant as you will have well fitted boots and that is priceless. That said the price for fitting is on the website. You need to make an appointment
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Meldrews_mate, listen to the bootfitter's questions and answer them honestly, especially about your ability. Don't go in with a preconceived idea of the boot you want as it may not be right for you or your foot. Expect the process to take a couple of hours.
If you ski faster and more aggressively you will typically want a stiffer flex but there's no hard and fast rule. Boots from different manufacturers with the same flex rating can feel very different, as there is no set scale. Don't fret over it, a decent bootfitter (all 3 mentioned above) will put you in an appropriate boot based on your physiology and what you tell them about your skiing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rivington alpine in Chorley are amazing! Bought all my boots from them and so has my best mate. Depends if you wana come up north.

I’m in agreement with the other guys on here, in that you’ve got to listen to the boot fitter as well as explain how you like to ski to them in as much detail as possible
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Meldrews_mate wrote:
1. In which order do I act to get the best fit (and by definition the best result for the money spent)? Consult with bootfitter first? Try a few pairs at large shop for general fit first?

Straight to bootfitter.
Meldrews_mate wrote:
2. Is there a general rule of thumb on what to add to the basic cost of the boots to get them fitted?
I can't get hold of the receipt right now but in October at solutions4feet it was something like boots £300, footbeds £120, fitting £50.
Meldrews_mate wrote:
3. Footbeds. Are they an aftermarket product, or something added as part of the fitting process?
Optionally aftermarket product. The boots will come with a standard footbed but the bootfitter will generally recommend an aftermarket custom footbed.
Meldrews_mate wrote:
4. Anything else of relevance that will help, or even help to avoid the pitfalls?
Know your feet so they can make adjustments as part of the fitting process. So for example I have bony ankles and bone growth on the ball of one feet. Other than that just answer their questions honestly and follow their instructions.
Meldrews_mate wrote:
5. In what way do boots deteriorate over time?
Inners become compacted, stitching perhaps starts to go, shell structure weakens, plastic more brittle. Expect them to last 20 weeks and everything after is a bonus.
Meldrews_mate wrote:
6. Does the flex index stay constant with the user as their ability improves? i.e. if they're perfect for me now will they be just as perfect as I improve in both speed and skill?
Flex isn't just about your ability but also about your physique, what and how you ski. From the sounds of it you've been skiing a while. In short I wouldn't worry about it. The bootfitter will advise as appropriate - feel free to ask questions about it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wow, thanks all, for your time and your experience. Very helpful.
Based on this I have a desire to get to the bootfitter asap, but as usual life gets in the way, and the ski trip is booked for March in Soldeu...this just happens to coincide with the first FIS men's downhill in the town (and Paddy's day), so it would be reasonable to abandon adulthood (in the interests of skills improvement) and ignore all those pressing 'other things' for once and do something impulsive.

A cunning plan has come to mind.
Assuming that the bootfitter will be able to 'fit' me in I'll be able to combine a gas fire fitting trip to the parents' house (an act of mercy, you'll agree, in these cold dark winter months) near Blackpool. In doing so I'll need some building supplies, and I think there may be a decent one in, er, Chorley? Now you couldn't blame a bloke if he, by pure chance, happened to stop (in his lunch hour) and have a look in a ski-shop, after all it's for health and safety reasons, isn't it? Yes, as long as I go back with a bag of cement and a few bricks the gf is hardly likely to notice the crisp new box nestled in the back of the van!

Thinking out loud then, I think all will be in agreement that ski boots are essential footwear, to enable SAFE working on the slopes. It follows therefore, that ski boots are an ESSENTIAL safety item, and should be 100% tax deductable Toofy Grin Jus' sayin'.

Returning to reality....
Bloody 'ell, those aftermarket footbeds are/seem damn dear! I know they can do great things but that needed to be said. In essence though, if I add £150 to the basic cost of the boots I won't be far wrong.

Final question...should I expect to emerge from bootfitter after an hour or so with a complete package and, barring problems (I'll be wearing them whilst plastering a wall later that day in case there are any Tax Inspectors reading this - see H&S above), I should have no reason to return?

MM
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Final question...should I expect to emerge from bootfitter after an hour or so with a complete package and, barring problems (I'll be wearing them whilst plastering a wall later that day in case there are any Tax Inspectors reading this - see H&S above), I should have no reason to return?

Maybe, and maybe not. Many people will get a perfect fit first time, but many others need to go back for tweaks after skiing for a few days. Most fitters do this for free, for boots that they have fitted. It's one reason to pick a local fitter (or buy in resort on the first day of your holiday).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll know if your feet are away from the normal before you start, so any serious wonky-ness is most likely to require more attention to reasonably accommodate.
My feet are very broad across toes compared to heel, plus very high instep. Fitted best into Nordica shell but still needed pushing out widthways for front of foot, then instep pushed up so it didn't try to flatten my foot down. They did this and I skied them for a trip but had to return to increase instep space further (they promised to get them right whatever was needed) which effectively got them to best fit.

Foot beds, I was sceptical of but couldn't be more wrong. They made a huge difference in supporting my foot correctly and not allowing it to be flattened out buy doing the buckles up, and worth every penny of cost.

This all allows the foot to be it's natural shape inside the boot, no real gaps, no real pressure points, and really good control of the ski through whole range of conditions. Contrary to others views on fitting, mine where supplied through snow and rock but a few years ago, original fit at Kensington and foot beds at Chertsey.

Take the socks you want to ski in as well to make sure of fit. You'll have to consider access to shop if you need them to modify after initial use.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I didn't need to have mine adjusted after the initial fitting. Did a few sessions in a snowdome before going away to make sure,

I'd be ringing up tomorrow for appointments if you go away in March, and maybe expect a trip back for adjustments after some dome skiing.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Seriously if you live relatively local to ProFeet and Ski Bartlett I would phone them up and make the time to do it, you wont regret it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Meldrews_mate, I thought I’d posted but hadn’t.

I have custom insoles in my ski boots, skiskate boots and rollerblades...

Any fitter I’ve seen, and I’ve seen a few, haven’t charged for fitting, just full boot price plus insoles. Ymmv.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry to swim against the tide here, but I've just got myself some new boots - in the resort. And I'm very pleased with the result. As mentioned, don't go in with any preconceptions and answer the fitter's questions honestly. I went in at a quiet period when I knew they'd have time to do things properly. I also know the local shops and chose one which has a good reputation. They let me walk out with new boots without any payment and said to come back after trying them out: if they weren't right, they swap them and just use them for hire. They forced me to be realistic about what skiing I actually do most of the time: on-piste, and even then, nowadays only in good weather, so comfort was really the main priority. They identified I had wider-than-average feet, and that one was bigger than the other. Plus they weren't fazed when I told them I had one leg 5mm shorter. They were happy to make adjustments or swap them if I didn't like them. This level of to-ing and fro-ing with a pair of essentially test boots just isn't feasible if your boot supplier is back in the UK and you're abroad.

One suggestion I've hears on a similar thread is to ask one of the instructors or someone in the Ski School where the instructors get their boots from locally, and go to that shop, mentioning you've been recommended by the instructor/school.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@LaForet, I don't think you're "swimming against the tide" there. That is effectively your local ski shop as having a place there make any returns very easy and logically convenient for your ski use pattern.

For those visiting different ski areas it may not be such.

I'd endorse Ski Bartlett as being close to OP and offering very experienced service for all things ski related. They really do have the skills and time to back up a very comprehensive stock of kit for our chosen interests.

If you need weekend fitting, just get there doors opening on Saturday to avoid delay. Parking restrictions are removed and you can stop directly outside if driving too Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes you will get a perfect fit from the 3 that keep being mentioned but there are some others as well, the big chain shops at the snowdomes tend to know what they are doing, my first pair came from EB at Tamworth, fitted very well tweaked after a few hours no problem, linings packed out after a load of use and had them replaced by Lockwoods who did an equally great job. Would have no hesitation of going back to either of those two when it is time for a new pair.
ski holidays
Nothing wrong per se getting them in resort if you have reliable recommendations for a bootfitter. It's just whether you want to spend the evening in resort doing it and a potential problem getting problems sorted down the line.
latest report
Meldrews_mate wrote:
Final question...should I expect to emerge from bootfitter after an hour or so with a complete package and, barring problems I should have no reason to return?

That was certainly the case for me.
snow report
@Layne, well .... if it' sSOLE in Chamonix and you take along enough beer ... possibly more fun and banter than going down the pub.
snow report
Thanks all.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy