Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wanted: High end piste ski for 159cm lady

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have a friend who's looking at doing a BASI gap course next season. She's going to need a suitable ski.

Interested in whatever is available in a high-end piste ski in about 152-156cm length. Head supershape would be perfect, lower end Rossi hero, Salomon xmax.

Looking for a waist in the 70s and a radius from 12-16m. Nothing too stiff, so not too much metal in the top sheet.

Look forward to seeing what's around!
latest report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Atomic Redster G7 or G9 (GS size), or if easy turn slalom is required look at S9. These ski like they are on rails!!
latest report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes - that's certainly a suitable option.

Apologies for not making it clear, but I'm looking to buy on her behalf any 2nd hand ski that would be suitable. A gap-course is not cheap and she's trying to budget wherever possible. Still looking if anyone has anything available!
snow report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Forgive me for my indelicate question, but what does she weigh? I'm about that height but I'm 65kg or thereabouts; I did BASI2 last year. I ski Head Titans at 163 length and would hate something at 152. But I'm quite strong and hefty Smile

I could potentially be persuaded to part with mine. They're well-used and a bit battered but there's plenty of edge left on them.
ski holidays     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
55kg. I'd say that something over head-height is a long shot, even though they're pretty soft skis - perfect for L2 but they just sound a bit long. Which year are they, and how much are you wanting?
snow report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
She could eat a lot of cake? Toofy Grin

I think they're too long, to be honest. They're, errr, three years old I think? I wouldn't want much for them, but really they're not quite right. Sorry. L2's hard enough without having to fight against a ski that's wrong for you.
snow conditions     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@AdamNotts, How much is she willing to pay, how long's the course and what's the possibilities and costs of renting? Otherwise, what's the cost and benefit trade-offs of looking for something new (if unknown and untested) on eBay, end of season sales etc, instead of an unknown and untested 2nd hand ski & bindings? And how much is it worth spending a little more to get something with a good rep that's likely to help on the course?
(i.e. is the current plan possibly a false economy?) I recently picked up some Rossi HE AT carbons, a lively light and easy ski at 12m, 74 waist. They might be a good ski (at 155 upwards) and there were some good new deals around on them compared to other new skis.
snow report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Grizzler,

I paid £80 for the skis I passed my l2 on (and the pair I used for the off-piste days I got out of a skip!), so as little as possible is the answer! There's some decent options on ebay right now for £150, but they're delivered from abroad. With BASI deals (which you can get as an associate member, before you've passed any exams) we're looking at £350 for something new and suitable, so less than that is the answer I guess.

It'll be a season-long adventure, even if the course itself lasts only 10 weeks, so renting hadn't really entered our thoughts.
snow conditions     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not too long ago I had a very bad experience buying allegedly-good 2nd hand equipment from "abroad", and find that the majority are over-priced for their condition. Just my personal experience, albeit having been looking for a very similar ski and size as you are for several years - but unless you can pick up a good deal, I'd personally still go for the best new bargain, even if coming in from Europe or elsewhere. (Especially if for 10+ weeks.) That's how I got my last and first skis, both very happy with (and the last ones new certainly less than your basi price). But I guess you know what you're talking about as well or better than I do. Hope you get something suitable. Have fun on the course; envy you.
ski holidays     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi!

If you're still looking I was about to advertise my Volkl Viola women's skis. Bought new 2016. 155 length, 74 waist, radius around 14mtrs. Had about two and a half weeks careful use in total. When new were £440. Still in great condition.
snow report     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Grizzler, agreed, hence trying to find something a bit more local and with a bit more certainty than ex rentals from abroad. However eBay's protection policy is heavily squewed towards the buyer, which I could use. Interested if you've got any good offers online that I've missed though!

Chardonbleu, thanks for the offer but having read a few reviews they don't quite seem to be what we're after. Best of luck moving them on!
snow conditions     

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy