Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bad Weather Flight Delay Compensation Claiim

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@zikomo, you are misrepresenting my position. I didn't say no one should claim - I have no issue with anyone who is seriously out of pocket, without choice, doing so.

But really cheap flight prices have only arisen because in practice the budget airlines have not so far had to pay significant compensation payments, which can easily be 10 times what they receive in ticket sales for the flight.

If everyone claims simply because they are entitled to, even if they aren't out of pocket (and/or needlessly incurs additional expense simply because they know they can reclaim it), then it is inevitable that flight prices will increase for all. And in particular that won't help those who can least afford it.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gazzza wrote:
Why? The delay compensation scheme is fixed and defined in EU law and is there specifically so passengers and airlines know in advance what the airlines must pay if their service is late. It's not new or some big surprise. Airlines have had to operate within this for years.

Grrrrrrr . . . . . this is a bad weather delay. I really don't see why EJ should have a bunch of planes on standby in case on of their planes gets caught up in a weather related delay. This is an insurance issue not really incompetence by the supplier. EasyJet are well known for being a 'low frills' outfit and this means they need to keep costs well controlled - that's all costs including unnecessary claims. Evidence suggests the consumer prefers this approach compared to the higher cost option. We need to allow EJ to stay in that market and not allow unnecessary costs to flow through their business model. I'm not an expert but my take is that the EU regs are designed to cover delays where the operator has 'at fault' operational issues and weather is not one of them.

Weather is a 'by chance' problem and pooling of risk via and insurance policy is the way to cover the implications
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Two things that I think are a bit rough on the airlines:
1. According to the previous posts only flights directly affected by the weather can use it as a valid excuse. So, if a flight is late leaving London due to weather then it will be late arriving at its destination and the return flight is also delayed. That’s hardly the airline’s fault.
2. EU compensation is unrelated to ticket price, so a passenger might have paid £10 for a ticket and then be in line for a €250 payout for a four hour delay. In some situations that seems excessive.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
alti - dude wrote:
Gazzza wrote:
Why? The delay compensation scheme is fixed and defined in EU law and is there specifically so passengers and airlines know in advance what the airlines must pay if their service is late. It's not new or some big surprise. Airlines have had to operate within this for years.

Grrrrrrr . . . . . this is a bad weather delay. I really don't see why EJ should have a bunch of planes on standby in case on of their planes gets caught up in a weather related delay. This is an insurance issue not really incompetence by the supplier. EasyJet are well known for being a 'low frills' outfit and this means they need to keep costs well controlled - that's all costs including unnecessary claims. Evidence suggests the consumer prefers this approach compared to the higher cost option. We need to allow EJ to stay in that market and not allow unnecessary costs to flow through their business model. I'm not an expert but my take is that the EU regs are designed to cover delays where the operator has 'at fault' operational issues and weather is not one of them.

Weather is a 'by chance' problem and pooling of risk via and insurance policy is the way to cover the implications

Point is whether you see why or not the EU regulations are defined and the airlines have to operate within it. End of. So claiming against the airline is correct. One assume the airlines can buy insurance for their operations. If everyone claims against their travel insurance, travel insurance goes up - same difference.

As for inclement weather, it happens, and it's mostly not unexpected. Dealing with it MUST be part of their business model. If you operate an airline across the globe, or even even a half or a third or a quarter of it, you can almost guarantee at any given time there will some inclement weather somewhere. Likewise technical faults happen. Therefore you have to have standby crew and planes, and operations plans available to manage this.

Of course if just as you are about to take off a storm blows in and you can't, that is not the airlines fault, and indeed they wouldn't be liable to cough up.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
2. EU compensation is unrelated to ticket price, so a passenger might have paid £10 for a ticket and then be in line for a €250 payout for a four hour delay. In some situations that seems excessive.

Yes reasonable point. It can seem high particularly on shorthaul fares. However I suppose the level of compensation is linked to what you might have to cough up for alternative travel arrangements.... And given airlines jack up their prices and sting people booking travel at short notice, then the level of compensation reflects that - it's a self fulfilling prophecy.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ecureuil, No, I have carefully read your posts. You have not considered the perspective I gave, i.e. that it is those least able to afford alternative arrangements that suffer the most.

It is also complete and utter rubbish to suggest that "cheap flight prices have ONLY arisen because in practice the budget airlines have not so far had to pay significant compensation payments" (my emphasis). The budget airline model has many facets (including only operating one type of aircraft for example) that drives a lower fare. I suspect in fact that liability for compensation claims, even if all were paid, would be tiny fraction of the overall costs of operations for these carriers.

What is true is that everyone who is entitled were to claim then fares would rise, but by a tiny amount (as the cost of compensation would still be a tiny % of overall revenue). It's a very small issue compared to all the other costs of operating.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Gazzza, with respect I think you are looking at NetJet service at TescoBasic prices. I had a whole long weekend cancelled because of the weather - I accepted that going away skiing had weather risk with it so moved on very quickly and have travel insurance to cover non refundable costs - wasted day but that's like.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
alti - dude wrote:
Gazzza wrote:

Disagee

Easyjet plan on Flight A getting to Destination B
Using that plane to fly Flight B to Destination C
Because flight A couldn't take off due to weather & unable to complete its sector - how is that the passengers of flight B problem? why shouldn't flight B passengers get compensated?
The weather has not delayed the passengers on flight B. Afterall, planes have landed & taken off at the airport they are stuck at.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Two things that I think are a bit rough on the airlines:
1. According to the previous posts only flights directly affected by the weather can use it as a valid excuse. So, if a flight is late leaving London due to weather then it will be late arriving at its destination and the return flight is also delayed. That’s hardly the airline’s fault.

1. Not really - planes can fly faster than advertised. Ive had a delay of leaving 6 hours late & they got us back in just under 4 hours delayed. So knocked 2 hours off the delay.
The delay was a knock on delay, but also the added problem of crew rest - so no crew was available.
Ive also been on a RyanAir plane where a 1hr 15 flight took 25mins. as they needed the plane sharpish - so guess they calculated the extra fuel burned was cheaper than compensation!

2. the compensation is to the person is irrelevant of airfare.
You could be delayed flying from australia in 1st class & paying over £10k for a ticket.
You will get the same compensation as someone sitting in the cheap bucket seat who paid a 20th of the 1st class flyer.
So where do you draw the line? should airlines refund only a fixed % of the ticket price?

Nope - compensation is to compensate the passenger for delay. 250 euro for four hours of my time is cheap if you ask me.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 18-04-18 13:38; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
11 hour delay from Finland to Heathrow. No help from Crystal; just abandoned. Both airports were operating fine. Our plane had been diverted to France as an airport was shut there and they needed our plane. No apology from Thomson just an eff off. We instructed a no win no fee solicitor and got £800 and the solicitors got £400. My advice would be don’t even bother trying to sort it yourself.

This is the company we used: http://www.flightdelayrefunds.com/

If it's a £29 flight I would just suck it up, but we always have to travel in school holidays. Next years ski flights for example amount to nearly £1400.00, so I'm not inclined to shrug my shoulders and walk away.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy