Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Top tips.

Poster: A snowHead
Much as I’ve enjoyed
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=137491
I thought it better here.

Before you put your boots away for the summer, pull out the liners and footbeds and leave them somewhere airy and dry to make sure they are not damp. After a couple of days put the footbeds and the liners back in the boots, do the clips up but not too tight and put them somewhere dry and dark until you need them again.

While I’m at it take the batteries out of your transceivers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jbob wrote:
......While I’m at it take the batteries out of your transceivers.

And take the batteries out of your Resqski's.

And the din settings on your bindings do NOT need slackening off.

The toes on tech/pin bindings should be stored closed (ie as though there was a boot in them).

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 10-04-18 13:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
... and check your boots if you stuff dirty socks in there to save packing space
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mr.Egg wrote:
... and check your boots if you stuff dirty socks in there to save packing space

Dirty socks would-be fine, I discovered an orange left in a while back.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
T Bar wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

I once found an orange in the pocket of an old down jacket that I hadn’t worn for around 15 years. It had virtually fossilised.
Anyway the other thread is the gag thread, behave.

I was thinking of building a rack for storing my collection of skis, but what’s best vertical on their tails, or horizontal on their bases?

Good call on the dynafits Jon.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jbob wrote:

I was thinking of building a rack for storing my collection of skis, but what’s best vertical on their tails, or horizontal on their bases?

If you get an 'ottoman' style bed (IE metal frame that pops up the mattress to reveal storage underneath) you get a ski locker big enough for really quite a lot of skis on their bases.

That's what I use anyway, so bases is it.

Personally, my top tip for summer storage (knowing myself too well) is to pack bags as closely as possible to how they'll go out on the first trip. That way, when I leave it too late to pack the following season there's only a minimal amount to do...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@dp, Mrs jbob pops most of the soft Ski stuff into vacuum bags and squashes them flat. We will also use the same thing packing the car for the season, keeps things dry and as small as possible if not a little creased! I’m always a little worried when I can’t see may stuff and think it’s missing.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bump re reminder to all re removing batteries from transceivers & Resqski units etc.

And a reminder to all to get your kit sorted/repaired/serviced etc during the summer instead of having a last minute panic before your next trip (and then expecting the likes of me'n'CEM to rescue the situation with zero notice at our busiest time Twisted Evil).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
At various points throughout the ENTIRE year.........., take essential reflective in numerous joys of life, in equal breath, essential respite at day's end with a lovely dinner complimented with a wonderfully paired glass of exceptional wine. Embrace reverie................
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon wrote:
jbob wrote:
......While I’m at it take the batteries out of your transceivers.

The toes on tech/pin bindings should be stored closed (ie as though there was a boot in them).

Thanks.

Just flicked them.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bump for Spring 2020.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@spyderjon, do you store "normal alpine" bindings in the open position, ready to accept a boot?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jbob, has any progress been made since 2018 on the construction of the ski storage rack? I know that you can't rush these things, but I was wondering if a design had been finalized yet. Or even a location?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:
@spyderjon, do you store "normal alpine" bindings in the open position, ready to accept a boot?

Yep, alpine heels in the open position and no need to reduce the dins in the toe or the heel.

Tech toes however should be stored in the closed position, ie as if there was a boot installed.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Yep, alpine heels in the open position and no need to reduce the dins in the toe or the heel.

Tech toes however should be stored in the closed position, ie as if there was a boot installed.

It seems odd to store the heels open, thus with the springs under tension?
ski holidays
Roguevfr wrote:
spyderjon wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Who said they were under tension? Have a play with your bindings and you'll see. It's all about levers etc.
snow report
T Bar wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

Haha, yes, classic...we turned up to pick up some skis for Bodeswell Jr back in December and he pulled out a 6 month old packet of camembert from his boot Toofy Grin
Bloke in the hire shop wet himself, he's like your boots got stale pretty quick young man!
ski holidays
@HammondR, I did indeed construct a rack, however due to my hasty exit from Cham I decided to leave my stuff there maybe I thought there would be an option of returning. No such luck.
snow report
Roguevfr wrote:
spyderjon wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Surely it's not under tension if your boot isn't in there though?
snow report
When you open the bindings you are stressing the spring. Dont they close with a bang when you shut them ?
ski holidays
Oh that? I don't think there is a spring there? That's just a lever?
The spring just pushes the binding into the back of the boot (more pressure on the back of the boot making it harder to open), I thought
Thus when the binding is free to push towards the centre as much as it likes, the spring is relaxed
ski holidays
@jbob, well done on the rack anyway.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy