Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

telepeage doofer

Poster: A snowHead
Dear all,

I'm considering getting one of these for a trip to Avoriaz in Feb next year. I've looked over past threads but was just hoping to get some up-to-date information on the best place to get one. I've been looking at the APRR site which seems to be the cheapest - is it correct that i will only be charged in the month that i use it? Is this the best site to get it from? How long do they take to arrive? I appreciate there are some admin based charges but are there any hidden costs to these things?

Any up-to-date information on these doofers is very much welcome.

Cheers all and best wishes for the coming season!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
got mine here. https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/

Pretty sure it only charges you for the months it's in use. Had it a few years now with no problems. Love it when the French think you are in the wrong lane at the peage.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Page23, I only pay for using my APRR doofer in the calendar months I use it. 1€ per month, if I recall. Well worth it for avoiding queues and having to lean across the car when travelling solo.

When I lost one (I think I left it in a car I sold) the replacement was sent promptly but I can't recall how long it took to arrive originally.

All account servicing (eg changing payment details) can be done online.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@endoman, do they? I can't say I've ever noticed.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks. I was under the impression you needed a french bank account to sign up for that one?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Page23, mine is charged to a Visa card (aka Carte Bleue).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the speedy replies. Did the APRR doofer take long to arrive? The site mentions e-invoices which makes things slightly cheaper; I assume payment is made via the credit or debit card attached to the doofer rather than one having to actually pay the invoice manually?

Thanks again
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Page23, All my payments have been automatic.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Also got mine from https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/.

Works well, you get charged a fee per Calender month up to two months then rest of years paid for. Tolls on top same as what you would pay with cash.

Worth it to me to reduce faff.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
craigjbarker wrote:
Also got mine from https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/.

Works well, you get charged a fee per Calender month up to two months then rest of years paid for. Tolls on top same as what you would pay with cash.

Worth it to me to reduce faff.

What's the 2 month charge for? Also, is the subscription indefinite or does it require renewal?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Got ours thru: https://www.atmb.com/en

Charged directly to Mrs A's no-exchange-fee Nationwide card.

1.60 euros per month used but absolutely nothing during unused months - unlike saneftolling.co.uk.

Unit arrived in less than a week.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I use saneftolling also. Definitely recommend them. There is a very small annual fee but then you just pay for usage. They also seem to charge you the following month so it actually spreads the cost of the holiday.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@altis - thanks, I hadn't seen that one. What's the deal on the €20 deposit? Is that returned at some stage?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Available from Eurotunnel saving the £10.00 fee when you book
https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/traveller-info/sanef-tolling/
Quote:
Exclusive Eurotunnel Le Shuttle offer
Free application - no fee (save €10)
€6** annual fee for the first year of subscription, discounted to €3** from the second year onwards
€20 refundable security deposit on the tag
€5** active usage fee - only for the months in which the tag is used and capped at €10 in any subscription year

Quote:
Great reasons to buy your toll tag today

Save time - beat the queues and get to your holiday destination quicker
Easy - there is no need for toll tickets or searching for loose change.
Convenient - your invoice notification is emailed to you and payment taken automatically by direct debit from your UK bank account when you get home
Your tag is transferable to another vehicle
Accepted throughout France
Dedicated UK Call Centre

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 3-10-17 21:26; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Refunded when you return the doofer - apparently.
snow conditions
Also note the tag is non-specific, so you can use it on another car, or lend it to someone (whom you trust to repay you). My brother's got my tag at the moment. You can also have two or more tags on one account - in effect, a 'family' facility for concurrent usage. And if you rent a car in France you can use it for that, similarly.

I love it when expensive GB cars tailgate me into the gare de payage and suddenly realise they don't have one. Had this happen to me with a Bently Continental - why would you drive such an expensive car in France and not have a LiberT tag as well?
ski holidays
I've noticed friendly French people frown at me when I'm clearly in the wrong lane, to then happily drive through. I've saved loads of time, especially when coming down from Chamonix in the weekend chaos.
ski holidays
Jonesj wrote:
I've noticed friendly French people frown at me when I'm clearly in the wrong lane, to then happily drive through. I've saved loads of time, especially when coming down from Chamonix in the weekend chaos.

Exactly, I almost hope there is a queue to see their faces. Even just once on a trip is worth it.
latest report
Page23 wrote:
Thanks. I was under the impression you needed a french bank account to sign up for that one?

English debit card for me.
latest report
Sounds great and the smugness is certainly very appealing. Again, thanks for all the speedy replies. Are they much of a muchness or is there one standout provider of doofers?
snow conditions
Used the sanef.co.uk site. Dead easy. Had ours about 3 years and was wondering what then shelf life of the tag was...then found on website it's certainly 5 year plus. Thinks it may be as much as 7.
Comes in days.
A blessing on the french motorways. A no brainer.
ski holidays
APRR tourist deal is cheaper than the SANEF one.

When I got mine it was 20euro refundable deposit for the tag but they had a deal on that gave you 20euro credit against tolls (thanks to a heads up on here). No annual fee. 1euro for any calendar month you use it plus the tolls. Think I've had it 7 years now and battery is still going strong.
ski holidays
Our APRR one lasted 9 years, but was right pain to get a replacement one. When I signed up I had to fabricate a French post code of all zeros as the web site did not cope with U.K post codes. The online account was then partly keyed on postcode. We ended up going to the APRR head office for a replacement. I was concidering doing battery surgery on the device.
ski holidays
I think we get a small discount on the sectors we use most often (Geneva to Chamonix, in effect, for us)...
ski holidays
adithorp wrote:
APRR tourist deal is cheaper than the SANEF one.

When I got mine it was 20euro refundable deposit for the tag but they had a deal on that gave you 20euro credit against tolls (thanks to a heads up on here). No annual fee. 1euro for any calendar month you use it plus the tolls. Think I've had it 7 years now and battery is still going strong.

Agreed APRR tourist deal is cheaper than SANEF.

The standard APRR tourist deal is detailed here: http://www.aprr.fr/fr/telepeagelibert/particuliers/offre-occasionnels
€11 initial payment for the doofer including postage, then €1.70 payment charge for each month in which you use it (plus the toll charges of course), no charge for months when it's not used.
latest report
I've had an APRR one for several years. Easy to manage online. Only problem I've had was updating credit card this year. Easily sorted on phone (in French though).

I've driven in Italy recently and it reminded me how driving in France used to be. No telepeage and more frequent tolls. More expensive too. Got that experience to come again this weekend.
snow conditions
@Claude B, and it is such a bloody faff when you're in the car on your own, which often happens if we are doing an airport run to Turin, or an Ikea trip. Jumping in and out and running around to the toll machine. I do use my card though which makes it easier. They do become less frequent once you're away from the cities.
latest report
While APRR is marginally cheaper than Sanef, the difference is very little and Sanef was the more convenient choice for us, website in English, payment by Direct Debit on an UK bank account at the end of the month following usage, the exchange rate they use is based on average mid-market and fair. Managing the account online is easy and they also notify you when the expected battery life is nearing the end.
As for usage, most of the time there is little or no time gain. When it's quiet a couple of seconds gained driving through the 30kph (non-stop) lane, when it's medium busy using the 30kph lane can save a few minutes, when it's really busy it won't help you get to the "plaza" any quicker but once there the 30kph lane does move quicker even if you have to join the queue again on the other side, something that has happened to us in the Summer..

The real gain is the convenience, not having to faff around for the ticket or credit card or the right change for the occasional coin bin tolls.

@endoman,
Quote:

Love it when the French think you are in the wrong lane at the peage.

This is brilliant, best when it's really busy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks again for all the replies. Think I'll take a punt on the APRR doofer.
latest report
Is it obvious which lane you need to be in when using one?
snow report
@Page23, yes they have a big orange 't'
ski holidays
Keep to the far left at all the major tolls booths.
ski holidays
We have the sanef tag and love it for journeys in France. We drove on Spanish and Italian motorways in the summer and it was frustrating having to stop and get the credit card or change out.
snow conditions
@Hells Bells,

Cheers
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, Just remember to watch the height restrictions if you've got bikes etc on top!
snow report
@Matt1959, our car plus roofbox is under the limit, and we have bikes on a tow bar carrier. Climbing up onto the roof to secure bikes is not an option.
ski holidays
There are now loads more open without height restrictions too.
ski holidays
The doofers work on all lanes (unless there's a big red cross above) however the far left tend to be car and doofer only and you can go through at 30kph without stopping (but are height restricted). Middle lanes have less height restriction and are a mix of doofer and also taking card and cash. The far right tend to be HGV with no height restriction. You can use the HGV lane but sensors are mounted higher, so you can find they are slow to read a car and at worst you end up doing the "doofer dance" (getting out, jumping up and down, waving the tag around in you hand).
ski holidays
As does @Hells Bells, I always use the far left lanes, they always seem the emptiest.
snow report
Quote:

I've driven in Italy recently and it reminded me how driving in France used to be. No telepeage and more frequent tolls.

There is a telepeage equivalent in Italy but not possible without an Italian bank account. Yes, the tolls round Turin are a pain when you're on your own.

More and more French drivers are using a doofer - so the comparative advantage of having one is not what it was. And of course, when the motorway is jammed with half term traffic queues in all lanes, they make little or no difference.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy