Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations for late spring (May) weekend near Munich or Zurich?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have a unique opportunity to grab another 3 days of skiing this season, but only on very specific dates (Flying out on April 12th, returning April 15th) which in turn limits my flight options to Munich and Zurich - no other airports are possible at all.

We'd be looking for a resort within no more than a 3 hr drive from either one, with good late season snow, that will have a wide variety of blue/red pistes still open this late and a good beginner-intermediate snowpark in full operation. (2-5m kickers, low ride on boxes and the like)

Unfortunately few resorts care to publish which facilities are expected to remain open so I must rely on your experience - help a brother out in avoiding a whole year of yearning for the white stuff! snowHead

**Update:**
Our plans for the coming weekend foiled and all other April weekends already taken the original plan is out but a desire to get some late season snow lingers. So:

Assuming the same parameters such as a flight to Munich or Zurich, rental car, budget not an issue, Fri-Sun 3 riding day weekend sometime in May, what are our options? Hintertux? other glaciers? Where is there still a park in May? How hard is it to find a hotel still working that late in the season, and restaurants and shops?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 9-04-18 16:05; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@motig, Ischgl
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
While that is a great option, we did just spend a whole week there end of February. Would be cool to try out a new place!

My thoughts so far were:
- Kaprun (not sure if the park fits our needs)
- St. Anton or Soelden (no idea if they are open and at what capacity)
- Laax (seems like that weekend is the very end of season and very few facilities will be open, mostly catering to more advanced freestyle riders than we are)

There's also the possibility of delaying this trip altogether to later, like May, and heading to the Hintertux, I'm just wondering if it's worth the trouble. I'm fine with slushy spring snow and a brown patch here and there as long as weather's fair, the runs are ice free and there's enough terrain for us to enjoy over 3 days.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@motig, Serfaus? Just on my way back from a great week there. It closes end of play 15th but they keep everything open and have tons of (now quite slushy given the heat) snow. Great slopes and has some decent fun park stuff, not that I used it.

Alternatively Lech, bit further but tons of snow there and open till 22nd I think. Pricey obviously but that late imagine you might bag a bargain.

From Zurich probably too far to go though trains might get you there in 3 hours is Saas-Fee which has shed loads of snow, I know they close the smaller area (platjen) but main mountain will have great snow high up even with the warm temps.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@motig, St.Anton is open till 22nd. Was there a few days ago. Slopes are in great condition. It's not really a beginners resort though. The funpark is up on the Rendl side. Not sure whether that will still be open or not. Other than that I would look at Ischgl.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@motig, Saas Fee? It will only be the Saas Fee side open so not a huge area. There is a snowpark but I am not familiar with it. However, loads of snow forecast for this coming week so conditions should be good and it's very high up there. Really easy journey on public transport from Zürich airport.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Laax is open until 15 April and is great for a few days skiing. Less than two hours from Zurich by train and short postbus ride for the final stretch up the mountain.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Ozboy, good shout
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd fly to Munich and hope the snow was still good at Kitzbuhel.
Or Zurich then train to St Anton
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Might be worth checking out Serfaus as it is reasonably high, though not sure if it will still be open. Obertauern is definitely open until 1st May but it is not the biggest resort. Obergurgl is also possibly open late though again not the biggest. Personally I would go for Ischgl again, if it wasnt for the attractions of the Arlberg (would suggest that it is too late for there if you are looking for beginner / intermediate territory) I would have spent much more time there. As far as I know there is nowhere else with such a variety of higher up pisted terrain, very difficult to beat for early or late skiing. In my experience they do keep most of the resort open to near the end, the valley runs are not the best feature of the resort in any case. Weather forecast for next weekend is warm spring weather. I suspect you are better flying into Zürich (except for Obertauern) if you have the choice though not a lot of difference.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@motig, I would scrub my suggestion of Saas-Fee, given how much snow they're forecast (shed loads) I'd bet there's a fair chance a lot of the mountain will be closed given avalanche risk.

@munich_irish, Serfaus is definitely open 15th, it's their last day of the season. Having just come back can vouch that the snow is still in really good nick, albeit slushy in the sun. There's lots of skiing around and over 2000 metres so safe bet even in the warm weather.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sadly, Our plans for the coming weekend have been foiled and all other April weekends already taken the original plan is out but a desire to get some late season snow lingers. So:

Assuming the same parameters such as a flight to Munich or Zurich, rental car, budget not an issue, Fri-Sun 3 riding day weekend sometime in May, what are our options? Hintertux? other glaciers? Where is there still a park in May? How hard is it to find a hotel still working that late in the season, and restaurants and shops?

(side note - we aren't beginners but prefer to focus the weekend on our freestyle technique so wider mellow runs and lower-intermediate park features is what we're after. We care more for getting many runs on the same piste than mileage or variety in this case)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@motig, in may all the major glaciers are still open. Sölden, Kaprun, Hintertux and Stubai would be my first choices, but there are plenty more.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I usually visit Sölden on the May bank holiday weekend, although that's generally the closing weekend for the resort. Last season all of the upper runs were open, which is exceptional; usually it's just the glaciers, although there are two and they're plenty big enough. I would check explicitly anywhere you're thinking of going, as once they're closed, they're closed. If you go to Sölden expect most restaurants to be closed at that time of year. You can eat, but your choices aren't what they would be mid season - it's half way between summer and winter for them so they're all probably at the beach or something. Ishgl also sometimes stays open late. They often have free concerts and stuff

It's been a while since I lugged a camera about there... these are from a couple of years ago, but show typical glacier conditions. Last season that brown stuff in the last image was all white and ridable, and one day was a 15cm powder day.

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Andermatt might be an option it is open weekends until late May. However it probably is not the sort place you are looking for, big mountain with long black / off piste descents, dont think there is any sort of terrain park.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy