Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

advice for 2019 Easter/Feb!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I have neer skied before and looking to go Feb or April 2019

Will an april experience be signinficantly different to a Feb experience? could it turn me off from skiing?

The resorts I am looking at are

My options are
Feb Half term 2019: Prato Nevoso or Bardonecchia

April 5th: Sansicario (on Milkyway) - this is the one I want to consider - what do you think, will choosing the Milky way help with the snow record?

or Le Corbier (this might be a little expensive for the students so perhaps not this one)
or Prato Nevoso

Thanks for your help in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sansicario so late in the season is risky. that part of the Alps is a dry area as a rule. you could be lucky though
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Italian part of the milky way (inc san sicario) often shuts for the second week of April irrespective of snow conditions. Montgenevre would be open that week and a better bet. It is also a really good resort for beginners.

I haven't been to the resorts you are thinking of for half term. However if budget is an issue for some members of your party you will be better off going somewhere with a good snow record in early April.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for your reply
Quote:

that part of the Alps is a dry area as a rule. you could be lucky though

Should I look at the resort height? also being linked the Milky way - is that helpful in this respect?

Quote:

good snow record in early April.

What would one be looking for when looking at Snow records? (days of snow...height of snow, regulairy of snow)..I am not sure what is most important(!)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

this might be a little expensive for the students so perhaps not this one

are you taking a group?

If you give us a bit more information about the trip you're planning we can give you more helpful responses.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Are you taking a group?

Yes, sorry I was not clear, I am taking a group of around 30 students probably aged around 12-13 as part of a charity trip (they do cover part of the cost!)

Most of them are beginners (including myself) but a couple are proficient.

Feburary is proving difficult since the resorts are mostly sold out - If I cannot meet numbers or then we will not be able to cover the remaining cost for a trip.

The problem is Easter 2019 is very late (from 5th April) and I have no experience of just how to / or even if I can mitigate the less than ideal conditions
For Feb - I have the option of Prato Nevoso - (but the piste maps, snow records etc mean nothing to me - I am a noob)

For Easter - I am trying to decide between Prato Nevoso and Sansicario

I have also secured a quote Artisina and La Corbier (both April but cost more)

Should I just insist to the higher ups on the February trip will that make it a more worthwhile experience for the young ones?!
its a real risk since I have been assigned to plan this and want it ti be a success (not many of my colleagues have experience)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Prato Nevoso would be a good resort to learn to ski - probably in February rather than April though. The village has a moving carpet onto the beginner slope, a central chairlift which has a blue and a red run off it with a good snowboard park in the middle. These runs are floodlit three evenings a week - but double check as it is a few years since I went there. You can ski over to another small village called Artesina which is only a small village but has a fun atmosphere with a couple of cafes. Prato has enough in the way of bars/cafes/supermarket etc. for a week, but I seem to remember the standard of hire equipment was somewhat basic!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Should I look at the resort height? also being linked the Milky way - is that helpful in this respect?
height and south facing helps but you need it to have had some snow fall during the season. this season is something else and that area has got nuked but many years in the past they've had very poor dry winters. why does it have to be In this resort and does it have to be Italy?
if so passo tonale and livigno ate high with a glaciers and offer value for money
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the tips both!

Sounds like you had a good time there Janska,

Passo Tonale will only have availability for April (if at all) - all of the school groups seem to have taken up the places a year ahead (which I assume is normal)- I will ask about this but have got a lot of nos from

Quote:

why does it have to be In this resort and does it have to be Italy?

It does not *have* to be in Italy as such, it's just people have suggested that Italy has the nicest instructors.

Also Prato Nevoso was what the rep suggested to me I don't have a strong opinion other than making sure these children (who have earnt it!) have the best time!

Not a lot of options at this point in the year for Feb or even April
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I do have an option for Bardonecchia on hold though - I don't know how that compares with Prato Nevoso?

Also I don't have to worry about night life too much since they will be doing kids stuff like bowling (assuming its available!)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Will an april experience be signinficantly different to a Feb experience? could it turn me off from skiing?

April - soft (and perhaps limited) snow, no crowds
Feb - Good snow, very crowded.

Both could be a turn off or a turn on depending on your preferences.

I'd pick the Feb option myself as I believe Italy generally suffers less then other countries from the half-term horrors
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For a group with many beginners April is not a good idea, a few years (like this year) there will be good conditions more generally the conditions will be average to poor. Why are you just looking at Italy? I would suggest that if you have to go in April most Italian resorts will be a poor choice, broadly, further south = less snow. That said few places would be ideal in April, perhaps some of the larger French resorts such as La Plagne or Trois Vallee (though these would possibly be on the expensive side for what you are after)

It is worth bearing in mind that next year Easter is very late so it could well be that UK half term is before that of many other countries, specifically the German speaking ones. It might be worth expanding your list of resorts to French and Austrian places (I guess Switzerland would be too expensive) maybe Slovenia too.

If you are prepared to look outside the more well known resorts then prices should be cheaper and conditions are usually reliable in February so practically everywhere would be a "sensible" choice. Some Austrian options might be one of the Hochkönig resorts or St Johann im Pongau or Kleinarl or Radstadt all very near Salzburg so very easy for transfers but part of bigger ski areas for those with more experience.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@xandervx, You do realise that in 2019 Easter is very late in 2019 - April 21st and this will be the last week of the season in most resorts.

If you are seadling with students it may be better to go the 5th January , which is usually the cheepst week of the season.

In my experience you are more likely to get good snow in early April than early January, but you do have to choose a high resort and inevitably these are more expensive.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27 wrote:

I'd pick the Feb option myself as I believe Italy generally suffers less then other countries from the half-term horrors

Austria should be pretty good next Feb as the UK half term misses 97% of German school holidays.
I think the statistic is 90% of overseas guests in Austria are German.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=128363

We stay in smaller resorts and use the car for day trips to others. The small resorts can be quiet even in February, some years skiing straight on to the majority of lifts.
For, example St Johann in Tirol (60km of its own runs, v good for beginners) is within 20 mins easy drive (no mountain roads) of Kitzbuhel, Skiwelt and Ski Circus each with over 200km of pistes.

And don't think Austria has to be expensive if you drive and get self catering accommodation. Prices for ski lifts, lessons and food and drink on the mountain are usually much cheaper than France.
In fact a beer at the top station in St Johann is cheaper than in my local!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I am glad I posted here, all of your experience and advice is so valuable!! Smile

Quote:

better to go the 5th January

I am afraid Jan is not really an option.

I have the following to choose from atm (this might change!)

Feb (mid Feb)
Option A) Madonna Di Campiglio / Pinzolo
Option B) (Salzburger Sportwelt) - Specifically - Alpendorf, Wagrain and Flachau
Option C) Bardonecchia

April 5th
Option A) Prato Nevoso
Option B) Obertauern
Option C) (Salzburger Sportwelt) - Specifically - Alpendorf, Wagrain and Flachau
Option C) Sestriere

(remember this is for a generally inexperienced group leader and inexperienced students - I need to make it as convenient as possible! - it's not about crazy black runs or good bars etc - rather about efficient, clean, friendly etc

From all of your advice, would I be correct in assuming that Feburary Option B (above) is perhaps the strongest choice?

Should I risk April Option C at the same resort?
ski holidays
I would say either Feb or Obertauern in early April. I cant comment on the Italian places but do know both of the Austrian ones (first place I went skiing was Alpendorf).

In some ways Obertauern might be the best spot it is fairly high so snow should still be OK in early April. The main draw back is it is fairly small, though that probably doesnt matter here, it is also more affected by bad weather as almost all the skiing is above the tree line. It is unusual in Austria as it has a "French" feel about it ie a purpose built place above the tree line, not so much of the typical Austrian Gemütlichkeit. The risk (there is always some sort of risk with outdoor holidays) is that you get a week of poor weather and thus really restricted in what you can do, though less risk of that in April. I would imagine (not having any experience of looking after a group of teenagers Smile ) that the self contained nature of the place might be an advantage here.

If you can go in Feb. then Sportwelt is probably better option, it is bigger, more variety, plenty of skiing amongst the trees, it would feel more typically Alpine. If you have a choice I would go for Alpendorf, though there is not much to do there of an evening (the main village, St Johann im Pongau is a little way down the valley), it is probably a bit more convenient from a "getting to the lift in the morning" point of view. Little to choose between the other two villages though in both there would be more going on than in Alpendorf, Flachau is a bit bigger maybe more of a resort feeling, Wagrain slightly more out of the way (though in the middle of the skiing area).

Both of these options are easy from a transfer perspective, less than an hour from Salzburg to Sportwelt maybe a little bit more to Obertauern.
ski holidays
Thanks, I think I will try to nogotiate a good price for Salzburger Sportwelt - Alpendorf, Wagrain and Flachau)

Quote:

(first place I went skiing was Alpendorf).

Munich_irish - Looks like we might end up having something in common!
snow conditions
I hope you enjoy the experience.

Thirty odd years ago a former girl friend persuaded a somewhat dubious boy friend to book a skiing trip to St Johann im Pongau, she hated it, I loved it and have spent far too much time (if that is possible) skiing ever since.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 11-04-18 8:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@xandervx,
Quote:

Thanks, I think I will try to nogotiate a good price for Salzburger Sportwelt - Alpendorf, Wagrain and Flachau)

Good decision to go for Feb. Personally, if costs v quality were broadly similar, I'd go for one of the Italian options. Austria Sportwelt is still a solid choice though.

For an early April trip, you'd really be better going for somewhere with plenty of skiing higher than, say, 1800m. Then also better if a good proportion of north facing slopes.
snow report
Thanks, I am so excited about this! -
Maybe I should book an practice session on one of the indoor ski slopes so that I can take advantage of the time on the actual mountain.
snow report
Its pot luck, snow more likely to be better in Feb than April but no guarantee. Beginners don't need a lot of pistes - and not worth paying for an expensive big area ski pass. I'm just back from Prato Nevoso. Skiing was good, Prato Nevoso resort runs will be good for several weeks, lower runs in Frabosa Soprana starting to break up (some closed) but there should be one run down there open for season. Night skiing was good (8-11pm, 2-3 nights a week, get out there at 8 just after they've re-groomed the pistes) - just the Prato Nevoso chairlift but that gives you blue/red options. Magic carpet at Prato Nevoso good for beginners. Try to get to a) Monte Moro (for the views) and b) Barmas beyond Artesina. The White House bar is good for a piste side drink, €1.50 for a latte/cappucino can't be bad!
latest report
Has he been yet??
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy