Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

140 fis vs test technique vs eurotest

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

out of curiosity what's harder to achieve <140 FIS points on 5 competitions or test technique (as established for french stagaires requirements). I heard test technique is (roughly) below 20% of GS opener but I'm wondering weather 140FIS points on 5 competitions (or Olympics B standard classification) is harder or in between test technique and euro test? if you could elaborate your answwer with percentages, years experience, etc. would be awesome...

thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ask Liz Swaney the best way to FIS points?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Koeniglear, I don’t have the numbers for TT but the FIS exemption is an exemption, not an equivalent. For (very very rough) guide, in the eurotest, say the pass rate is 12 seconds behind the some 50 point skiers - equivalent to 22 seconds behind 5 50 point skiers on a FIS race (again this is only rough guide) that’s not 100 points - that’s about 250 or 300 (again rough- depends on a lot of things). And then on top of that you’d be skiing on 35/30m skis

From my experience with friends, those that skied around the 100 FIS point mark in their race days, passed the ET easily first time, without training and having stepping into a pair of GS skis / gates in years.

I think TT will be a lot harder too if you’re not coming from a race background, GS much easier.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Dave of the Marmottes, Liz Swaney is a freestyle skier, Vanessa Mae would be a better example
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Koeniglear, The Test Technique is a Slalom, Eurotest a GS. I don't think there is an exemption based on FIS points for the TT.

One thing that will make a difference on which might be easier is whether you are male or female. For quite a few FIS GS races the male racers will ski after all the female ones, someone without any FIS points will be right at the back, so you could end up with a much later start number than the random draw for a Eurotest.

FIS points are the average of your two best results, I don't know where your 5 competitions figure comes from.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Liz Swaney story is amusing @Dave of the Marmottes. I'm a male, so I reckon GS will be tougher, I'm from a country with no participants whatsoever though.

I was reading : average FIS points for 5 competitions here @ris

https://data.fis-ski.com/media/olympic-games/2018/english-qs/owg-pyeongchang-2018-qualification-system-alpine-skiing.pdf

that sounds helpful @moseyp .
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Koeniglear, If you just want Eurotest exemption though you would just need two results from one discipline, if you were really good only one result would be needed if that score + 20% was still under 90 points.

I have met several people who were just aiming to get under 90 points in slalom instead of doing the Eurotest.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Koeniglear, interesting, what country?!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@rjs I'm not really interested in Eurotest at least not primarily I'm gauging the possibility of participating @ 2026 W Olympics. Eurotest and ski teaching might handy though to support me through or after. There's not a lot of info into races, however the route to Test technique/Eurotest is more or less documented hence why I followed that lead.

@moseyp I'm from Central America known for its beautiful non-skiing hills and never-cold weather wink Based in the UK though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Koeniglear, OK, I'm a race coach who has also done quite a few FIS races myself, I know far less about Test Technique and Eurotest. I'm pretty sure that @moseyp has more experience of FIS races too.

I trained alongside several of the competitors who represented non-traditional skiing countries at Sochi, including Vanessa Mae.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Koeniglear, they’re really two very different things, French ski instructor entry races and getting to the Olympics. Don’t think I’ve ever met any racers from CA. That’s cool. Does your country have a Snowsports association? You’ll need that to race. 140 points / B standard isn’t as easy to achieve as one might think (assuming you don’t have race experience, I don’t know?) but if you have a lot of money and time anything is is possible. The SA and Aus/NZ races in the antipodeon winter are good for getting low bibs and low points. While the Olympics has a minimum standard, the World Championships (Are next year) does not so you should be able to get a spot there, or 2021 in Cortina

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 5-04-18 16:24; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rjs small world I see. I might be in touch at some point then! I still have a long way to go; I'm currently just a skier who can do all pisted terrain and some off-piste... considering basi LI and LII training to round myself up before specific race training (1 season). TT would be a good intermediate goal (maybe 1 seasons), OW classifying in my situation from what I gathered would be easier than ET but could follow a similar training plan (probably 6 seasons)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@moseyp my country doesn't have sports association... but they have been reached out to see if they have participants... Anyway no need to worry for now Very Happy, I was just gauging the situation and a bit daydreaming... and no I don't have a lot of money; just a job and perhaps with some luck might be able to get winters off and ultimately who knows maybe a year back to back if there's really a chance.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Koeniglear, I would definitely forget doing instructor exams - start training and concentrate on getting ready to race (you will be skiing on a long 30m GS ski) and getting a lot of skiing and training in. If you can afford to set up base somewhere do that. Find a group you can train with - there are plenty of international, English speaking programmes out there. Even better if you speak another European language. Getting your instructor certs is something to look at separately further down the line. They are two very different things.

You will need to have a NGB/NSA to enter races though - FIS don’t take entries from anyone else so that will have to be sorted.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just another thing - I would not aim to achieve this in one winter, it’s highly unlikely tbh. Beijing is 2022, you need to start now!
ski holidays
moseyp wrote:
While the Olympics has a minimum standard, the World Championships (Are next year) does not so you should be able to get a spot there, or 2021 in Cortina

That's true, there are people who turn up with very little on snow experience, it is always a highlight such as Adrian Solano. Just watching the first 2 seconds you know this is going to be epic, thank god he wasn't tempted by the downhill (they surely have some standards there don't they?)

http://youtube.com/v/AVcsaDha2m4
latest report
@moseyp thanks for the tip; will look for the UK snowports association they should be able to let me run with them and I've seen some race programmes in Tignes (although some of them ultimately lead to TT/ET as long as it remains S/GS should be fine) yeah I was considering about 6+ seasons to stand a chance... 2026.
ski holidays
Koeniglear wrote:
will look for the UK snowports association they should be able to let me run with them

They won't, not if you don't have a UK passport as well as your CA one.
snow report
@rjs I see... I also have Spanish passport so Spain's association is the place. yay this is being really helplful.
snow conditions
@Koeniglear, you need BASS points for a GB licence too, and if you’re over a certain age I believe BSS are only going to be issuing limited licenses (for GB races only) unless your points stay below a certain maximum
ski holidays
You could train with eurotesters but personally I wouldn’t recommend it. They are on a different path and it won’t help you getting your head around FIS, or meeting other people in similar situations (from SES nations, going to all the right races, sharing a lot of knowledge and resources etc
latest report
Koeniglear wrote:
@rjs I see... I also have Spanish passport so Spain's association is the place. yay this is being really helplful.

Good luck with the Spaniards, from Victoria Padial's experiences this year they sound difficult.
snow report
As it turns out by reading the regulations http://www.fis-ski.com/mm/Document/documentlibrary/AlpineSkiing/02/03/07/icr_16.07.13.clean_Neutral.pdf It's best if I start competing straight by my country. They're not very keen on changes and if ever I want to classify using the B standard is only possible through my country as Spain has A category competitors. Furthermore Spain won't be keen to have places for classifying races taken off by a novice.

So the whole story will be very messy. I need my country to apply for association ($$$ I imagine) and to get my license ($$). No reason why I can't start training but need to start moving the paperwork.
ski holidays
Prince Hubertus von Thingummybob represented Mexico in 6 Olympics and 17 World championships, with little distinction but enormous panache.

- Probably helps to make the standard if you're independently wealthy minor royalty, though.
latest report
@Acacia, he grew up in Austria though. Former US team member Sarah schelper also skis for Mexico after retiring from ski racing a few years ago and then making a comeback.
ski holidays
Koeniglear wrote:
@rjs I'm not really interested in Eurotest at least not primarily I'm gauging the possibility of participating @ 2026 W Olympics. Eurotest and ski teaching might handy though to support me through or after. There's not a lot of info into races, however the route to Test technique/Eurotest is more or less documented hence why I followed that lead.

@moseyp I'm from Central America known for its beautiful non-skiing hills and never-cold weather wink Based in the UK though.

Hello @koeniglear , i'm also based in the UK and I'm from the carribean. I'm currently training to compete for my country in the Winter Olympics - hopefully 2022 but maybe also 2026. I would agree, don't bother with the test technique/eurotest but you can train with people who are preparing it. Training and getting race experience would be the best preparation.

I train in an indoor ski slope in the UK and I try to find different people to train in the mountains - I can give you a few suggestions that have been recommended to me.

Your federation will need to be affiliated with FIS before you can get a FIS licence and compete for your country - if you get a GBR licence you will need be competing under the GBR flag.

Lastly, I have some good news - the B qualification is 160 FIS points for both Slalom and GS. Although, this is essentially the same level because the FIS points calculation was changed which meant that on average everyone got added bout 20 points at the end of last season.

I hope this is useful. If you need more information I'm happy to answer any more question. And who knows, we might be in a race at the same time.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy