Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fischer RC4 WC SL Jr Skis - Base 'bubbling' near edges

Poster: A snowHead
My son has a couple of pairs of Fischer RC4 WC SL Jr skis. His 2016/17 skis were new in July last year. They've been used on a combination of snow and dryslope. While servicing them a couple of weeks ago I noticed that the bases on both skis have started to bubble near the edges. They are like a series of ridges about 1cm wide running almost the full length of the ski on both edges. His previous skis - Salomon X-Race - never experienced anything like it.

I was chatting to another parent at Braehead tonight and she mentioned her sons skis had done exactly the same and were the same model. She had heard similar stories from other parent whose kids had the same 2016/17 skis and those eventually failed with the edge coming away. These are not cheap skis and I was hoping he'd get a couple of years out of them but I suspect at this rate they will fail or become unusable.

I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with Fischer RC 4s?

I'm also wondering if it is worth raising it with Fischer to see what their view is.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Gaza, I have multiple pairs of the adult skis, the oldest pair has bubbles near the edges but no sign of the edge coming apart.

Do the jr versions have black p-tex next to the edge and clear in the middle ?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Possibly related to the heat generated on dry slopes and some iffy glue?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rjs, no, they are black all over. The 2017/18 skis have a bright yellow/green base.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dave of the Marmottes, he's only 10 (although quite big for his age) so they should be able to take the forces he exerts. I also keep they well waxed with dryslope wax so they should be protected.

I'll try to take some photos of then tomorrow to illustrate the issue.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Could your iron be too hot when waxing them?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gaza wrote:
......They've been used on a......dryslope.

Warranty void.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@spyderjon, does it specifically state that in the warranty?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gaza wrote:
@spyderjon, does it specifically state that in the warranty?

Dunno but use on a dryslope won't even be on a ski manufacturers radar.

Looking at that pic though I'd say that's a manufacturing defect.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks @spyderjon. I'll email Fischer and get their view.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Gaza, My oldest pair look similar to that. The skis are dead anyway, I just use them if I'm going to be course crew somewhere. There isn't any sign of the edge coming out and they are fairly old now.

I'm fairly sure that mine wasn't caused by iron temperatures, I use Vola wax which only requires low iron settings, don't use really hard wax.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have they been through a machine ? Have seen that sort of structure before when skis were put through a machine with a lot of pressure. The bridge that goes over the binding seemed to put more pressure under the foot area and over time it thinned the base out leading to the edge structure, which is what you can see, sticking out. If not that then no idea, hot iron might do the same but would expect a general bubble not that sort of structure.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@orange, never been through a machine. They are mainly his snow and dry mat race skis as he has an older pair (RC4 15/16) for trashing at Hillend during training. They haven't seen a lot of use so haven't had a need to go on a machine. The bubbles are along the full length but that isn't clear from the photos as it was difficult to capture in the light. The scratches were from Glenshee a couple of weeks ago.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I’d say they’ve been over heated.
latest report
@Gaza, ....almost certainly the result of heat from dry slope. I have some Line's which were used for trick practice on a dry slope: totally warped (convex) due to overheating by running on a dry slope surface. This post recounts smoking bases due to heat...!

https://www.newschoolers.com/forum/thread/594981/Never-use-good-skis-on-dry-slope

...don't know your dry slope - was the misting system working? Does it have a misting system?
snow conditions
@valais2, he used a pair of Salomon X-Race for around 2 years without any issue. They were well scratched and there was a slight sheen on the edges near the plate but no issues with heat related bubbling. His main training pair were secondhand and had been used on dryslope but are showing no signs of overheating.

Hillend has a good misting system and they also apply a lubricating spray (a bit like Zardoz) on the steep areas not covered by misting.
ski holidays
If you don't ask..... Toofy Grin

Fischer agreed it was a manufacturing fault and have replaced them via the original retailer.
ski holidays
i am going to stick my neck out here and say, heat generated form the dry slope, do you have a picture form the side .... how many times has the ski been across a service machine, if lots or the tech has been heavy handed then the base will be thinner which will make this issue stand out more
snow report
@CEM, as I said above, they had never been across a machine. The only Tech who had been near them was me. They were edged with a standard hand tool.

The only times they were used on the plastic mountain was for races. When they were they had the Ski Racing Supplies Wax4Mat on them. That is very hard and is left on after application and then polished.
snow report
@Gaza, it is a strange problem, normally it is plastic slopes, friction and heat that cause this sort of thing

Good luck getting it replaced
snow report
The mushette's race skis are similar but not as bad. I feel an email to Fischer coming. I'll prime Mrs M. She's good at complaining Smile
ski holidays
@CEM, they HAVE replaced them. As of last night they are in the ski rack in my garage. My son is rather chuffed that he has a new pair of 2018 season skis. However, I think Fisher have sent a set that would be considered slight 'seconds' as the black colour on the top sheet is more grey/purple/black than the topsheet on his other set of 2018s.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy