Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

All mountain ski - Volkl RTM?

Poster: A snowHead
I am looking for a decent all mountain ski but slightly more biased towards piste versus offpiste. I have recently returned to skiing after 20 years of boarding and have been renting for last few trips but would now like to purchase skis.

On the last couple of trips I have hired Volkl RTM 81 and found them quite responsive on piste except in super icy conditions. Offpiste I had less chance to test except for the last week but found the skis not so much fun (technique needs work I am sure - spoiled by boarding for so many years). Maybe I would enjoy the wider RMI 84 more.

I also tested the Code V Works, loved them on the ice but hated them when it got soft

I am tempted to buy the RMI skis but wondered if I should test any others given my narrow testing to date.

Any advice or suggestions very welcome!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try Atomic Vantage 90 CTI, it's the only ski I use nowadays. Super grippy on piste and really nice in the soft stuff.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Check the Salomon XDR 84 Ti
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Bennyboy1, I've been using RTM 81s for a couple of years now. Brilliant grip on ice and hard pistes, and I find them quite easy going in typical Euro pow (i.e not chin deep champagne). Try the RTM 86, which gets very good reviews and should give you a bit more float off the pistes.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the tips all.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bennyboy1, If you are planning to stick to Volkl, as well as RTM range you could try some Volkl Kendo skis, little wider under foot at 90mm and still edge hold as Volkls do, on groomed stuff. Tip and tail rocker with traditional camber under foot.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Test in German but their favoured skis are clearly marked with a tick

https://at.skiinfo.com/ausruestung/g/276/allround-ski---pistenski-test-2017-2018
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I bought a pair of Blizzard Brahma as my first pair of skis, after testing most of the models listed here (in a snowdome) and they sound like they might work for you - they are so much fun on and off piste. Good grip on piste, plenty capable enough off. Great at speed.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Barnabarian, I think the Brahma is a great ski. If you're going down that route then the Salomon X-Drive 88 is a similar thing which is also great IMO.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just a heads up - glisshop.co.uk has a sale on....

I just plumped for some Nordica Navigator 85's
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Barnabarian, @Bones,

Thanks. I would like to test these skis but struggling to find a shop in Mayrhofen that stocks these.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think it’s too risky to buy them without testing. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Bones, have you tried the Kendo. The reviews I am reading seem to suggest they need very aggressive skier and are very stiff. Any thoughts?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bennyboy1, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Yeah, own a pair. They aren't as stiff as my old AC 50's. I suppose I could be described as a bit aggressive. However you can ski mellow days on them also without a problem.
They do everything I need em to - slackcountry, powder to crud to groomed. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Bennyboy1, I'm in the same boat. I've pretty much exclusively boarded for the best part of 30 years now, although I skied for 6 years before then.

I decided that if it was a proper powder day, or if going further into the back country/heli, I would always want to be on a board. From this, I would predominately ski when it was icy/hard pack, or when I was with skiing mates and we would only be venturing off the sides.

I've ended up with 2 pairs of skis and they fit the bill perfectly. A set of Salomon X8s for icy/piste only cruising and a set of Kendos for off the side stuff. The Kendos are more than manageable on piste and great fun off the sides.
ski holidays
@bar shaker, thank you this helps.

I know it’s impossible but I was attempting to buy 1 ski for 80% of the conditions I ski. I think what you are describing is similar to my needs but I don’t want to buy two skis at this time. I am probably only going to be off piste for max 20%-25% given a) luck of conditions b) skiing with the kids & wife and c) like you I will use my board if it dumps it down.

Given the above is the Kendo going to fit or should I stick with a front side only ski like the RMT.

I am in Mayrhofen next week so will try and locate a pair of Kendos. Although not having much luck finding a store currently. Maybe better once I am there.
latest report
@Bennyboy1, a quick search reveals Bründl Intersport stock Völkl. https://www.bruendl.at/en/locations/mayrhofen/top-sellers/volkl-racetiger-src-incl.binding_topseller_2303 - presumably more than one model.

I would suggest

a. Völkl have a bit of a reputation as requiring more input than some brands (never noticed that myself, but, hey) and so maybe something a little more generally forgiving might be appropriate (I have no suggestions I am afraid).

b. from your descriptions: struggling on ice with the RTM 81 - assuming the ski is correctly edged, etc. - suggests a technique limitation: struggling in the soft with the Code V.WERKS (which sounds quite a reasonably beefy Völkl) reinforces that but against the caveat that it's probably quite a demanding ski.

Intersport are explicit about offering free exchanges - so take out a variety of things and try them. I see no problem in principle for not finding something 80-90mm underfoor that works for your 80:20 goal.
snow report
@under a new name, @bar shaker, I think to an extent you are correct as the problem on ice was on a couple of steep blacks which would indicate technique I guess.

However since I have skiied just a few weeks since giving up the board, I feel I will rapidly improve. Spending EUr100 a week on rental is going to annoy me, given I do 3-4 weeks a year. Maybe I have to be more patient.

I use Brundl Intersport, they are great but haven’t got a huge range,
snow report
@Bennyboy1, some shops - if you commit to a purchase - will offset the rental from the purchase price... just a thought.
snow conditions
I looked all over the town and found a pair of 2016 Scott “The Ski”. The are something like a 92 underfoot. I am enjoying them immensely. So far I have found them to hold quite well on ice and easily push through slush or mounds of snow on piste. I have had no opportunity to test off piste.

Question: reading reviews of “The Ski” on the web. They don’t get great reviews compared to say Blizzard Brahma or the Kendo’s. As I am unable to test either ski, is it too much of a risk going for either ski without testing? I think I am sold on the wider 90ish underfoot ski. I was thinking of getting a set at end of season in the sales.
snow report
Bennyboy1 wrote:
I looked all over the town and found a pair of 2016 Scott “The Ski”. The are something like a 92 underfoot. I am enjoying them immensely. So far I have found them to hold quite well on ice and easily push through slush or mounds of snow on piste. I have had no opportunity to test off piste.

Question: reading reviews of “The Ski” on the web. They don’t get great reviews compared to say Blizzard Brahma or the Kendo’s. As I am unable to test either ski, is it too much of a risk going for either ski without testing? I think I am sold on the wider 90ish underfoot ski. I was thinking of getting a set at end of season in the sales.

IMO. Scott The Ski is a fun, playful and forgiving/flattering ski, that has enough width for venturing Off Piste and enough stability to ski On Piste, but has a speed limit.

The Brahmas are a stiffer, damp ski, with no particular speed limit. They need more pilot expertise, can carve well on Piste, but would not have as much float, or be as easy to manage Off Piste as the Scotts.

If you are a decent skier, that likes to ski reasonably fast On Piste, with the occasional foray Off Piste and aren't too light...then consider the Brahma.

If you like an easy to use ski, go at moderately fast speeds and try to go Off as much as you can (maybe 30-40%), then consider The Ski...it's also much easier to find as a bargain (especially at Glisshop). Go longer, rather than shorter.

I would expect the Kendo to be closer to the Brahma....but I haven't skied a Volkl since the 90s.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@Bennyboy1, some shops - if you commit to a purchase - will offset the rental from the purchase price... just a thought.

Intersport Bründl do offer this in Zell am See and Kaprun so I would expect the same in Mayrhofen as they are the same company. I have taken advantage of it a couple of times over the years.

https://www.bruendl.at/en
snow conditions
@Old Fartbag, I tried the Scott again on Friday in Mayrhofen. We had some new snow and again found them a lot of fun. Not sure though, felt a bit plain. Not sure how to describe it.

We travelled over to the Arlberg on Saturday and was blessed with lovely conditions. 25cm at Sonnenkopft overnight. I hired some Rossonol 88 (“experience”) skis at Milanovic (great shop btw) at the tal station. Quickly realised they were too heavy for me. The guy in the shop changed them for Fischer Ranger 90 ti. I have been riding them in very mixed conditions for two days (POW, slush, some ice) and have to say I am impressed. We went to St Anton today and managed some easyish offpiste but decent depth and they float very nicely for their size. In the afternoon we skied piste only and they hold an edge very well. I think I might have found the ski for me. Super light so worried a bit if they might chatter on an icy January day at speed, but can get some carvers for that if needed Smile
snow report
@Bennyboy1, Good job....and why it's better to try a few skis, if possible.
ski holidays
Sorry one more question. Any tips on which binding I should get? These are the options on Glisshop:

snow report
Marker Squire 11 1D 90mm are standard.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy